“Amazing service and best hotel in Kigali”

Kigali Serena Hotel
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Kigali
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Amazing service and best hotel in Kigali”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at Serena Kigali with my husband for christmas and I enjoyed it very much. The reservation manager Semigabo gave us an excellent rate and we were upgraded to a suite upon arrival. The room was spectacular, clean and complimentary bottle of wine with fruits. The hotel staff despite being busy due to christmas were great. Enjoyed the breakfast and specially the Mongolian night buffet. Kigali Serena's spa is clean, hygienic and I will definitely recommend to have a massage as their spa.

Rwanda is beautiful place. It is safe to walk even during the night, people are amazing and weather is great as well. Do check out nearby areas such as Brioche bakery for really good eclairs.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade and most likely you will get it. Suites are better as they have balconies.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rubhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is my first time visiting Serena Kigali and I must say I was dissapointed with the service rendered. Note: if you are White or non-black African, you might have a better time.

I stayed in one of the Executive suites, which is what I prefer and recommend for all travels inside Africa. When you stay in such rooms, you come to expect a level of treatment which I did not get. From the check-in, to the room services and so on, the hotel staff kept falling short of my expectations.

The only reason I am considering a repeat visit is because the manager has promised to make the changes, so lookout for my next review of this hotel.

This was supposed to have been a relaxing time for me but I was stressed and pissed off half the time at the hotel staff.

This is supposedly a 5 star hotel... Train up your staff!!! or you would my lose business forever

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Adegorusi A
SerenaHotels, Manager at Kigali Serena Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Mr. Ademuyiwa,

Reference to our earlier telephone conversation concerning your experience in our Hotel services in your recent stay with us. Kindly accept our belated sinceremost apologies with regret that our team
failed to meet your expectations. Please note that we have reviewed the various highlighted areas where we had shortcomings and adequate effort will be deployed to ensure we keep the Serena promise of providing services that exceed guests’ expectations. We have also shared your compliments with Godfrey for his exceptional services to you.

Thank you once again for accepting our offer for a return visit on 2 nights complimentary stay at your convenient time and we will be more than glad to meet with you. We do trust that you will give us the opportunity to make up to you in your return visit.

Do not hesitate to write directly to us for any further discussion in the future and hope to hear from
you on when you will be coming our way.

With sincere regards,
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 1, 2014

One of the top-three hotels in rising Kigali/Rwanda.
Good ambience and reception.
Nice pool with restaurants/bars surrounding.
Spa is also used by locals/expats (non-hotel guests) as usual in such countries.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at the Serena on several occasions during a six-week trip to Rwanda. In total, I spent about 10 nights there and stayed in four different rooms. I greatly enjoyed each of my stays - the Serena is the best hotel in Kigali.

Rooms were clean, comfortable and well-appointed. The staff is extremely friendly and eager to help. Check-in was a little slow but that's not unusual in Rwanda. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and the hotel restaurant is good (although there are many excellent restaurants that are easy walking distance from the hotel that I think were better for dinner). The gym is very good - it has new equipment and a full cardio room with classes. I didn't use the pool but I did spent some time reading outside by the pool, which was pleasant.

Some guests were put-off by the fact that you have to go through a security metal detector every time you enter the hotel - it was mildly annoying but it honestly takes about 10 seconds and the staff are very friendly and good-natured about it. Also, when I was there, the rooms that faced the pool had problems with the central air-conditioning system so they were quite warm. I asked to change rooms and, afterwards, always requested a room that didn't face the pool, which worked out fine. All of the rooms I stayed in had working AC and were extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the pool have better A/C
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have stayed for 3 nights in November 2013 in the Serena. The Hotel is alright. Unfortunately the Hotel charged my credit card twice and any trial from my side to get my money back, is being ignored. For a 5 star hotel, that shouldn't be the case being involved in such criminal act. Mr. Jean Omar Masudi is not replying to my emails. It is the last time that I have been to that fraudulent hotel. Next time will be the Hotel des Milles Collines! Thanks for nothing Serena!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dav C
SerenaHotels, General Manager at Kigali Serena Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Mr. David Kneschke,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Kigali Serena Hotel. I was made aware of the unfortunate incidence of double charge on your credit card which we managed to trace to our bank and confirmed that it was an erroneous double charge from the card processing system. This notwithstanding, we have discussed with the bank and the bank has already initiated a reversal process of the equivalent amount which should reflect to your credit card within 4 working days.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us and we trust that you will give us another opportunity to be of service in the future.

With sincere regards,

Charles Muia
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The rooms here are grossly overpriced but the scenery inside is second to none in Kigali. I had the pleasure of enjoying some poolside drinks here before my tour of the city. The pool is extremely impressive and the restaurant looks beautiful. If your stay in Kigali is short, I recommend a quick visit here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very impressed with this property, exactly what I have come to expect from Serena. Rooms very comfortable, with all amenities. Great pool and spa with good quality treatments. Food and service was good. WiFi connection good in the lounge area, but not that great in the rooms. Rates, food and drinks a bit more expensive than I expected, but probably because it is the best option available in Kigali.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business