“Oh Dear, I Checked Out”

Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
London
“Oh Dear, I Checked Out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

OK, I was working for an NGO on a project I believed in so wanted to stay in a mid-range hotel to keep costs down. I sometimes stay top notch and also completely rough so I am happy with either as long as the place delivers what it promises. Frankly, everything in this place was broken. The room had no air conditioning but they promised fans - fine but the fan was bust and kept falling over and they had no replacement. The Wi Fi was a non-starter so they promised a Lan connection in their 'business centre'...well one look at that convinced me i would never work and yes, unfortunately I was right. Cables that were frayed, connections hanging out of the wall...needless to say no connection. So, reluctantly, I could stand no more after one night and checked out to pay top dollar at The Serena (yes I paid the extra myself but it was totally worth it).

Oh, and by the way, if you think the name of this hotel suggests it is anything to do with Rwanda's famous apes, you would be wrong, they live two hours away although I reckon a couple of them maybe came to Kigali and decided to set up this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank businesscameraman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Decent enough location and a pleasant enough 10 mins walk in to the city. Take it easy though, especially if you're just getting used to the altitude as it's uphill in to Kigali.

The hotel itself is pretty good . . . . . friendly, welcoming, polite helpful staff, but the rooms could do with a bit of work. I stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of my trip, and each time the room had it's share of lightbulbs that had blown or little things that needed fixing. There is some sort of mould / damp problem in places and if you're looking for more than a place to stop off for a night or two then you might prefer somewhere else.

The one diamond about this place is the restaurant. Great food and brilliant staff. Even if you decided to stay elsewhere it'd be worth the effort stopping by for a meal here one night.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

Hotel Gorilla is situation in a very quite street, close enough to walk to a few wonderful restaurants: Chez Robert, Bourbon Cafe, Shokola, Hanni, Cactus, Kazana a many others to mention. The hotel personnel everyone goes out of their way to make you as comfortable as possible. The restaurant is also good, with a french flair cooking, the restaurant section has an indoor and outdoor garden scenery and very enjoyable to eat out during the day or night, mosquitoes don't seem to be a big problem here, but there are mosquitos. The Hotel and Restaurant are a plus - but the concern I have with this hotel is that the rooms have "Mole Problems" - and knowing this it makes it difficult to sleep at night because of the smell. The bed sheets are changed everyday, but the blanket and spread truly need an overall - the hotel needs to invest in getting the mole situation out, bringing in new curtains, fresh paint, new bedding and the bathrooms need changing of their towel holders, soap and some kind of vanity to house your toiletries. Would I stay here again yes, because of the price and the location. Safe to walk or take a taxis but be prepared if you do take a taxis to go to the Shopping Center where the Bourbon Coffee Shop is it will cost close to 2,500. I suggest to decide on the price you want to pay before you get into the taxis. I have given this place a 2 star because of the existing problem of mole, but if they take care of this problem, the hotel is small and desireable and comparing the prices at other hotels this is the best bargain. The rooms are small, but durable because your only in them when you come in to sleep or change your cloths.

• Liked — Location - Size - Restaurant
  • Disliked — Mole - Old Bedspread - Old Blanket
  • Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Navarre, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

Stayed at the Gorilla Hotel in Kigali as well as in the mountains in Musanze. Enjoyed both locations. Kigali has a beautiful courtyard and a fantastic restaurant. The one in Musanze is new, beautiful buildling, modern, beautiful views and also a great restaurant. The manager there is wonderful. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at both locations.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Burundi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

While the restaurant was indeed fantastic, the room was TERRIBLE for the price we paid ($140). We've lived in Africa for 3 years now so I understand comparative standards. Yes it had a flushing toilet and hot water. But, it had no mosquito net, no air conditioning, noisy guards out front (we had a street side), and MOLD in the walls in the little closet and the bathroom. My husband and I sneezed all night and we don't even have allergies. Way overpriced for what you get. What a rip!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cr3
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

I’ve been to Hotel Gorillas a couple of times for leisure because I really enjoy visiting Rwanda; it is a wonderful country in Africa. 10 things I liked about this beautiful hotel is
1) From the airport they are extremely kind and welcoming reception.
2) Comfortable, sanitary, well-organized, simple rooms with nice bedspreads and curtains.
3) Nice choice of decorations especially the gorilla status, the paintings, and the unique lively theme colors.
4) Very hygienic bathrooms.
5) TV with cable.
6) Internet is available downstairs but you won’t even have time to stay on for long because there is so much to tour in Kigali city which is few minutes from the hotel.
7) The food is to grave for, absolutely delicious. I really liked the French cuisine, and the service is splendid! I would recommend the entrée “avocat aux crevettes” and for the main dish “filet Roquefort” it is delicious!
8) The bar has all kinds of liquor and the bartenders are fun.
9) The staff is very kind and helpful.
10) And the beautiful garden surrounding the hotel always made my days!
I’m planning on visiting Rwanda again in 2010, and this is definitely the hotel I will be staying at.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ESCAPADElife
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

We went through the Gorillas Hotel to organise our family trip to Rwanda - and what a great job they did. I contacted the group Project Manager (Mr Ashraf) who, given what we would like to do for our 17 days, put together a great itinerary that included.. all transport (from airport pick up to airport drop off), all hotel bookings, guide and park fees, breakfast at each location (some full board locations) amongst other things. Hotel accommodation was not confined to the Gorilla Groups hotels (Kigali, Musanze and Gisenyi), we also stayed at the Agakera Game Lodge, Peace Hotel in Cyangugu and Bethanie Hotel in Kibuye. All hotels were clean, comfortable with good dining facilities and menus (remember this is Africa.. so don't set your bar too high!). The vehicle we travelled the length and breadth of the country was a 4x4, it was driven well and safely. Park fees and permits were all taken care of - so all we had to do was turn up, meet the guide and trek on! Are driver (and now companion) was helpful, knew his stuff, spoke great English and nothing was a problem to him - he made our trip. My mother-in-law came with us.. she's 69, and managed to do everything with us.
I know this sounds like an advertisment.. forgive me - but, I can not praise the Mr Ashraf and Matt (and the Gorillas Hotel) enough for ensuring we had a safe, eye-opening family holiday in Rwanda.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family