“No hot water and USD only...no local currency”

Hotel Gorillas City Center
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Kigali
Melbourne, Australia
“No hot water and USD only...no local currency”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

Location great
Beds....clean
Bathroom..........ordinary ...could be cleaner
No hot water....started a shower with shampoo and all in my eyes when the water went out. I went to reception in a towel and covered in soap.
They sent me to a room on the floor below me. I walk into a dark unoccupied room only to find that there was no hot water either....the humilation of walking around a hotel in a towel with soap in my eyes looking for water to wash in...bad bad bad
Also no credit card facilites and they only accept US dollars and not local currency

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Catherine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

A group of 17 of us stayed here for about a week and we loved it. The breakfast every morning was amazing, they even offered to have coffee and toast for us on a day where we were leaving at 5am. The rooms were nice (extra plus we had hot water every day) and even though mine overlooked the street it wasn't loud. The people who worked here just really went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CRaeC
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We also had a problem with mold in our room. But the manager changed us into a much better room the next morning without us even asking for it. We also were surprised there were no fans but a wonderful employee named Saturday ran out late at night and bought us one. After those adjustments were made our stay was very good. The grounds are quite serene and pleasant. The dinners were consistently good. The breakfast included the sweetest fresh pineapple I ever ate. The dining room is run efficiently and food arrived promptly. We found the hotel staff gracious, supportive, kind and the attention we got from Saturday was above and beyond. He is a thoughtful professional. We also used the services of Emmanuel to drive us to town and to see the memorial sites. He is a solid guide, and knows all of Kigali and knows what sites to bring to your attention. It's a good place, with a solid staff. If you have a problem, tell them, they will fix it promptly!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
sao paolo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

This place isn't exactly cheap. The rooms are small and dirty. My colleague shared his bed with cockroaches. There's a bar next door which is very loud and plays music until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Having said that, the staff are nice and the food is good - although you have to wait ages for it (a common complaint in Rwanda).

It's very well located, but my advice would be to spend more and stay at the Serena or spend less and stay at the Iris or stay out of the centre.

• Stayed May 2011

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

After a week of staying in basic Tanzanian 2-3 star hotels and camping, we chose this hotel as a place to connect to the internet ("smoking fast!) said my 13 year old niece, have hot showers, clean rooms and a good dining meal. It was a comfortable place to stay before another few days on the road into Uganda. Like many places in Africa though, the faucet was loose and the shower was luke warm at night. We did have a very nice dinner in the restaurant and breakfast too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Overpriced! Terrible Breakfast! Noisy at all the times! Never again! Creepy room!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

OK, I was working for an NGO on a project I believed in so wanted to stay in a mid-range hotel to keep costs down. I sometimes stay top notch and also completely rough so I am happy with either as long as the place delivers what it promises. Frankly, everything in this place was broken. The room had no air conditioning but they promised fans - fine but the fan was bust and kept falling over and they had no replacement. The Wi Fi was a non-starter so they promised a Lan connection in their 'business centre'...well one look at that convinced me i would never work and yes, unfortunately I was right. Cables that were frayed, connections hanging out of the wall...needless to say no connection. So, reluctantly, I could stand no more after one night and checked out to pay top dollar at The Serena (yes I paid the extra myself but it was totally worth it).

Oh, and by the way, if you think the name of this hotel suggests it is anything to do with Rwanda's famous apes, you would be wrong, they live two hours away although I reckon a couple of them maybe came to Kigali and decided to set up this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business