“Improving all the time, though needs better internet connection”
Review of Hotel Chez Lando

Hotel Chez Lando
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Improving all the time, though needs better internet connection”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I’ve been staying at Chez Lando since 1997 and it gets better every time. They built lots of new rooms off the car park a few years ago, renovated old accommodation blocks and are currently rebuilding the whole restaurant/bar area. For $100 you get a very large room with a massive bed, spacious bathroom and a balcony. It’s very clean and well looked after. The breakfast is good and the wi-fi is free, though the speeds were poor on my latest visit as the hotel was busy and the connection overloaded. It’s not the cheapest place in town but only 5 mins from the airport and well positioned for various restaurants. No real complaints except the internet speed. It can also be noisy if you get a room that backs onto the main road.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Sydney
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Good place to stay if you need to be close to the airport for an early flight. Rooms are clean and the food in the restaurant is quite good. However, there is no air conditioning which can be quite unconfortable given it gets really warm.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Ended my East Africa trip with two nights here.
Hotel is well known, taxi drivers always knew where it was (which was good since Kigali streets are not often obviously named) and taxis into town center were cheap.
The food in the restaurant was not great, and we could not find many other meal options nearby so I really advise taking a taxi in to town for dinners. The breakfast was decent, buffet style, always hot.
There are grocery shops nearby, and a money exchange.
there was wireless internet available if you had a laptop, as their computer was not functioning.
I did not like that we had to slam our door to shut & lock it when going out, though others in our group had doors that closed just fine. The bathrooms all have windows that open to the corridor, and the walls were not the most soundproof so if you have noisy neighbours you will be sure to hear them.
Staff was courteous and practically fell over themselves to be helpful, get bottled water, call a taxi etc.
Bedding and towels were clean. Bathroom was clean enough. I felt it was not the best value for my money, but perhaps if I'd been in the newer wings instead of what I believe was the original building, I would have a different opinion.
There was construction going on during my stay, but only during acceptable hours.

• Stayed January 2010
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 24, 2009

My husband and I arrived in Kigali, Rwanda on November 14th, 2009, and stayed at the Hotel Chez Lando our first night in Rwanda, and then our last night in Rwanda, the 17th. This is a great place to stay if you're not staying in Kigali for long and just want a relaxing place while you're there. We arrived about 9 or 10 pm, checked in, and went straight to their outdoor bar for some beers and to watch a soccer game. The outdoor bar is really nice, and our room was very nice as well, complete with patio, large bed, mosquito net, a standard US size bathtub, toilet and sink. Bottled water was included by the only toiletry available was soap. The hotel was quiet - we had no problems sleeping - and the breakfast starts at 6 or 6:30, I believe. It was very plentiful - omelets, breads, fruit, beans, coffee, and juices. We also really enjoyed the grounds - they are very well manicured. Also, a nice perk is that they provide a complimentary shuttle to the airport. After our stay on the 17th, the shuttle drove us to the airport at 5 am for our flight. Not having to pay for a taxi (or worry about them arriving) was very nice. The only inconvenience that I can think of was that the hotel is not close to town, but that was not an issue for us as both days we were leaving to go somewhere else. Also, they have a computer that you can use with an internet connection, but it was experiencing a lot of technical difficulties while we were there so we were only able to use it once. No biggie though - we'll definitely visit again when we return!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Slobina
ATL
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I stayed here for 5 nights when I visited Kigali for a conference.

I made my reservation online on their website, with no other further communication with them via e-mail or phone, and they were ready for me the day I arrived. I had the standard room, for $60/night, breakfast included. I'll have to say it was pretty decent. The rooms were clean, the bathroom was clean and adequate, with an abundant supply of hot water. Housekeeping changed linens and cleaned the rooms everyday. They had free wireless internet, though internet connection was spotty at times but adequate enough for me to keep up with emails and surf the net easily.

The breakfast was just okay. Tea, coffee, different breads, baked bean, potatoes, eggs/omlettes, some fruits, fruit juice was the standard breakfast everyday.

I felt very comfortable, relaxed, safe staying here. I would most definately stay here again next time I'm in Kigali.

DrMal

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AmeriDok
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed here while on a project in Rwanda on the recommendation of other colleagues who travel to this area more frequently. I had one of the spacious Plantation rooms with a king bed. The room seemed recently renovated. The bathroom was also a good size, and the housekeeping was very good -- no complaints. Adequate closet space

I had none of the complaints of a previous traveler, e.g. water pressure was good and consistent. While power outages were not a big problem, I always travel with a flashlight in these parts of the world (as well as the north shore of Kauai, for that matter!)

The breakfast buffet includes hot and cold items, but is only okay. The fresh fruits there are quite good, and much appreciated. There is a pleasant outdoor beer garden, but I'd avoid the chicken dish. I didn't go to the more formal restaurant. I mostly went elsewhere for dinner with colleagues on other nights.

A general complaint aobut much of the coffee in the area: the crops are sometimes compromised with (a fungus or bacteria or something?) This was not the only place where the coffee can taste musty.

This is not a luxurious place, but provide good basics to be comfortable, e.g. the bathroom toilertries consist only of soap, not little bottles of shampoo, etc. The courtyard garden areas are nice, but you'll still be on a dirt road outside the property.

The property is near the airport, but noise was not a problem. Then again, Kigali isn't Chicago O'Hare.

I was here for a week, but noted that a number of the guests were repeat visitors on longer stays for business and other projects -- a good sign of price/value of those in the know. There are other nice properties in town from major hotel chains, but for the price and quality, I'd definitely consider returning here.

Best feature of the hotel: Very good price/value.

A caution: the place has on A/C. While this was not a problem during my visit, it might be an issue if you visit during a warmer period.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Mme_X
Johannesburg
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I stayed in the hotel for 9 days . Two weeks before arrival we booked rooms for 60us$ a room . On arrival we have been informed that those rooms has been taken and we can get only the 90us$ rooms . The water supply is inconsistent and many times I was forced to shower in a trickle of water. When I wanted to complain I was was advised that the hotel manger is "unavailable " The front desk people also refused to give me their names.
Generally the staff is unprofessional and unhelpful . As per breakfast the official time is 6am but you are lucky if it is 6:30 and sometimes even after 7:00 . So if you got a morning meeting forget about breakfast.
If you want to conect from room to room you'll fimed that the connection is not working .
And last but not least the hotel do not accept MasterCard only Visa so If you got only MasterCard you got a problem .
The bottom line be afraid very afraid to use this hotel

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business