Hotel Chez Lando
Hotels.com
$95
Orbitz.com
$65
All reviewsclose to the airportspacious bathroominternet speedconvenient locationkigali airportbuffet breakfastno air conditioningcouple of nightscomfortable hotelnice restaurantenjoyed my staytransitnetsminibarconferencesecurityserena
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked into this hotel for five nights on the advice of a Rwandan friend who lives near it, It's near the airport (as well as near to my friend's house). They offer two levels of rooms, some for $100 and some for $60, that being the level which I selected, I gather the latter are in an older wing, while the more expensive ones are billed as "bungalow" rooms. My room is fully adequate and comfortable -- big double bed, desk, adequate lighting, clean bathroom with its own electric hot water tank and etc. The window Is screened and looks out onto a lawn with nice plantings around it. There is a mosquito net hanging above the bed, but I've not seen or heard a mosquito yet to make it worth the trouble of using it. No refrigerator in this room, though I see some reviews say other (more expensive?) rooms have one. The breakfast provided is very nice with a lot of variety, served in the large restaurant area. Dinner the restaurant was nice and reasonably priced. I was pleased to see that the clientele in the restaurant in the evening seemed to be largely middle-class Rwandans rather than the almost exclusively European (code word for Wazungu or "whites") clientele I've seen in other restaurants. The staff manages English well, as well as Swahili. I'd guess they do well in French as well. I'd be happy to recommend this to friends, unless they were traveling on a very tight budget.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Msafiri_Hodari_Sana
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night after 3 nights in the Virunga Massive and before flying on to Nairobi. Ground floor room was spacious with tv, mini bar, desk and nice terraced area with chair and hedged garden shared with the room next door. The bathroom was fine. We were ok with the lack of air con until the mozzys started biting in the night and we had to drop the very constricting and claustrophobic mozzy net which left us little room to manoeuvre in our sleep as we tend to.

The hotel bar was very lively with a great atmosphere and a good mix of locals and tourists, service was friendly and white wine chilled. The restaurant has a nice view on the terrace over the bustling city and again a good mix of locals and tourists. Food was good and very reasonably priced we felt. It took a little while to arrive but that was ok and they were busy. The credit card machine was playing up on check out so be on the safe side and have enough francs or us$ to cover your bill.

All in all a pleasant nights stop over that did exceed expectations.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PlatinumQueen1985
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed in Chez Lando on the first and last night of a 10 night tour of Rwanda. We had a double room with balcony, fridge and tv. The hotel is close to the airport with several banks in walking distance as well as a few shops for buying drinks and snacks.
Our room was large and clean. There was no airconditioning which I did miss. We had mosquito net over the bed which was needed though it was a little contricting. The bathroom was basic and dated but in good working order with plenty of hot water.
The real plus of this hotel is the bar and food area. Its a real hub full of Kigali locals enjoying a beer with brochettes. We were staying during the Euro's so the football was playing and the atmosphere was buzzing. Service could be a little sporadic but always friendly.
Useful tip for this hotel and Rwanda in general - specify that you would like your beer / white wine / cola / water etc COLD or you will get room temperature which can be warm.
If we went back to Rwanda I would be happy stay at Chez Lando again and to recommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JojoCC
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Landed in Kigali without any reservations, was recommended Che Lando by the taxi folk at the airport. The hotel has several low rise rooms with unique names. Mine was named "Georgette" and had a comfortable bed, mosquito net, a small veranda with a chair.
Each room is isolated from the others by a thicket of plants. Breakfast was served on the first floor of another building, typical continental fresh fruits and Spanish omelette.

The complex is very lively, saw a memorable football match at their open air bar while enjoying local beer and brochettes (skewers of meat and chicken). The complex is located by a main road and near to the airport. Motorbikes and taxis are available till late night just outside. Other sites such as KBC and MilColine are nearby.

Room Tip: Chose rooms away from the main bar area and the main road.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank indieglow
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I guess its a good place, comparing to other similar hotels in Kigali. We were traveling on business, so I was expecting more (based on some reviews here). This is not a 3 star hotel, by any stretch of imagination. Toiletries - one tiny piece of soap. We had to go across the street to a supermarket to get a normal size soap and shampoo. One day the hot water just disappeared (the issue was fixed within a day), and the water pressure was so low, it was practically impossible to take a shower. The room got very hot, there is no air conditioner, not even a fan. Positive - good, friendly service and their nice restaurant. (if you are looking for a nice place to stay in Kigali, go to Serena).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business