“3 Nights at Okapi Hotel Kigali” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Okapi
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Kampala-Uganda
“3 Nights at Okapi Hotel Kigali”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

A small defined hotel in the middle of the great capital of Rwanda -Kigali, with a good view of the Kigali Hills of Nyabugogo, this really moved me. The rooms were well furnished and for the cuisine served with tropical fruits that really made me wanting the more. The staff service cannot be explained very welcoming and friendly.
Upton Now I keep it locked to Okapi when in Kigali. Edris African Pearl Safaris

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank AfricanPearlSafaris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Aussig
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

Hotel is right uphill in the city centre a 15 min-walk to the famous Hotel de Mille Collines. Basic en suite rooms start around 40 $, breakfast is an extra 10 $ and not worth the money (literally leftovers from the last day dinner) – leave it and eat in one of the restaurants nearby. I stayed 3 times in the hotel, the first and second time I had a room to the street uphill and the 3rd time I asked for a room with a downhill view (mistake). During I slept I heard some noise in the room and when I switched on my flashlight I saw somebody skipping out of the balcony (I’d left the balcony door open when I slept). After I’d switched on the room lights I saw that somebody had searched my luggage (probably for valuables – but there were none), nothing was stolen but some of my clothes in the rummaged bag were splashed with something stinking (did those people have dirty or injured hands? - no idea) – I decided to throw them away.
Summary: If you stay there take an uphill room to the entrance side.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I loved this place 2 years back, but travellers are no longer the focus. It is mainly now for local business people, which is fine, of course, but it is not the meeting place for travellers it once was, and the service is now less attentive and often indifferent. I also found they do not answers emails when I tried to book in advance!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sodafin
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in a "first category room," which was supposed to be the best quality on the night of 30 July, much to our regret. We paid US $60.00, though I think I would have rather flushed the money down the toilet, in hindsight. First, and worst, we were kept awake until 4 a.m. by music blasting from some nearby club (yes...4 a.m.). So, if you don't want to get any sleep whatsoever, this is the place to stay. But that isn't the only thing that makes Okapi Hotel a bad deal. The receptionist steered us away from their "second category" rooms (at US $50), stating that they were "too small." Well, the first category room wasn't exactly large, as my husband and I could not pass by the bed at the same time to get from one side to the other. I asked the receptionist if we could have a discount if we didn't have breakfast. She said no. So, in the morning, we went for breakfast and experienced the following: it was only 8:30 a.m. but there were no plates, there was no more coffee or milk, and no more eggs. What was left (fruit, beans, chicken soup, and potatoes) was all down to the dregs, and the potatoes and beans were cold. The fruit salad was mush, and all the food tasted bland to outright bad. There was a fresh pitcher of fruit juice, which I though would be the one saving grace of the morning... but no. It tasted strangely like plastic (perhaps it had been sitting in a plastic container all night...I have no idea). I know Okapi is one of the more reasonably priced hotels in downtown Kigali and, to be fair, the room was clean, and we had a nice view of the city. But I would say travelers would be significantly better off staying elsewhere, even it means staying further out and having to take a taxi into town. I, for one, will never stay at Okapi again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LiliaRose
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

We had previously stayed at Step Town & enjoyed it but didn’t like having to taxi to town so thought we would try somewhere more convenient. It was nice to be able to walk to everything you want – however you need to decide whether the negatives are worth it. It is old, where Step Town is lovely and new, but the rooms at Okapi are larger & there is a balcony that we found great for drying washing, plus a fridge. The rooms were not serviced during our stay and the street noise made sleep extremely difficult. We were staying on the street side, maybe the other side is better?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kamema
Kigali, Rwanda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

As I normally stay in 'backpacker' standard hotels across Africa I was looking forward to upgrading to enjoy a bit of luxury how wrong I was.

The room I stayed in was at the front of the hotel and suffered from considerable traffic noise. It was small, extremely dirty in an ingrained sort of way. It is worth noting this was described as a top standard 'category 1' room. The internet service dropped out every couple of minutes and was slow to dead most of the time. The breakfast valued at $10 was also poor and extremely bad value for Kigali.

The biggest problem I had however was with the manager, I arrived early around 5am, but my room was available and I checked in for one night. There was no problem indicated with this and I told them I would be departing at 3am the next morning. However on departure I was prevented from leaving by the staff who insisted that I had stayed for two nights and must pay (i.e. they were charging me a full night for being in the room from 5am - 10am, without informing me). Speaking at length to the receptionist it emerged it was the manager who had insisted on this and was forcing the receptionist to charge me. I asked to speak to the manager, the receptionist phoned her but she refused to speak to me. I have never experienced such a problem anywhere in the world including Africa and more specifically in Kigali and found this attitude appalling.

This hotel has awful management and is bad value, I would recommend 'backpackers' hotels in Kigali over this every time. At half the price they are of equal if not better quality.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank robert1234567
Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

Excellent views and service, surprisingly good food (we loved the avocado and sardine salad) and I would definitely recommend staying in the best possible room you can, there is a wide variety of rooms and getting one with a view/balcony will improve your stay. There is wifi, but it goes in and out like most places in Kigali. They at least have a central computer should you need it for a short use.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business