“Utopia”

Got a photo?
Add it.
African Bagel Company
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Boston, Massachusetts
“Utopia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you've ever seen What Dreams May Come (not a great movie, but a great way to explain ABC nonetheless), there's the moment when Cuba Gooding, Jr. opens the door for Robin Williams and his wife's paintings spread out before him, forming a real world. This is what it was like when I opened the plain, rust-colored metal door simply labeled "ABC."

After finding our way to Kicukiru, a nice Rwandan woman who works near the shop showed my friend and I where it was. When we turned onto a dirt path with a couple small, cements buildings, I didn't see how this area that looked a village market town could have this amazing bagel place I'd heard of. Then I saw the door and my excitement dropped. Then I opened the door.

Literally, children leaped about, frolicking to and fro. They seriously frolicked. People of all colors and backgrounds, from all over the world chatted, munching bagels, donuts, sandwiches, pizzas; drinking coffee, tea, juice, and milk. I expected to see Nancy Pelosi high fiving Anderson Cooper.

And the food is delicious. I had a sugar cinnamon donut and it was incredible. Then I had an egg and Gouda sandwich on sesame and that was incredible. My friend and I bought a 6 pack--I had a terrific time just ordering it, having cut my teeth as a bagel and donut mixed pack orderer at Dunkin Donuts--and the next morning, it was amazing. The bagels are so good.

It's very expensive, but if you're just here for a few weeks and you brought a few hundred dollars, you'll be able to buy 2,000 bagels.

• Visited July 2013