“Excellent art and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inema Art Center

Inema Art Center
Ranked #2 of 60 things to do in Kigali
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 2012 by brothers and self-taught painters Emmanuel Nkuranga and Innocent Nkurunziza, the Inema Arts Centre's mission is to spur creativity for personal, social, and economic growth.At its core, Inema provides space for 10 artists-in-residence to explore their creative talent. Specialising in contemporary african art, Inema's artists produce painting, sculpture, and mixed media expressions, all of which is showcased at the Gallery at Inema Arts Center.Inema is also home to the following- Nziza Artworks, featuring bespoke jewelry, African linens and leatherworks made by women at the onsite Nziza Workshop- Art with a Mission, training children with limitted resources art to give them livelihood;- Inema Dance, our youth cultural dance troupe, Inema art center provides a room for weekly traditional dance classes to the experts .Inema is open daily from 8AM to 8 PM, located in Kigali in the suburb of Kacyiru. Take the first right after the Umubano Hotel (the old Novotel), and then the first left. Inema is located on KG 563 Street in 100 meters down the road, past Solace Ministries, behind Telecom House.
Potomac, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Excellent art and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've been visiting Rwanda since 2008 and finding Inema art center was a highlight and has become a must visit when I'm in town. Innocent and Emmanuel are incredibly inspiring and unique and they make you feel immediately at home in their amazing country. I've purchased a few pieces so far from the gallery and once the pieces are home and hung all my friends want to know all about them. Stop in for a visit when in Kigali, even if you don't make a purchase you will be better off knowing these artists and all the amazing work they do in their community and beyond!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank jlh67

• Korean first
Rishon Lezion, Israel
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A must visit for art lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Two Artists ( brothers) created a safe place for orphans and are helping the youth in Kigali to develop their art's skills. Very inspiring and a genuine Rwanda's born initiative.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“More than an art gallery -- an inspiration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Inema is more than an art gallery. It is a creative space and community hub that: provides local artists with a platform for sharing their paintings/sculptures; offers training and business opportunities to groups of women making jewelry; gives children and youth a fun, safe place to practice traditional music and dance; teaches orphans and other vulnerable children how to use art for self-expression, self-confidence, and even a source of income; brings together people of diverse backgrounds for cultural-exchange and social events; and serves as a location for community events like yoga, adult dance class, drum instruction, etc.

Inema is composed of a group of friendly, talented young artists. The brothers who manage it are hard-working, good-hearted and inspirational. So come show them your support! Find out the schedule of events and check it out. Even if no activities are going on, you can peruse the art gallery or shop in the Nziza store. Usually a few of the artists are on site, so you can talk with them or possibly even watch them paint or sculpt.

Visited February 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Refreshing and Rewarding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

It should not have been a surprise that a city like Kigal offered such an outstanding blend of community outreach and creativity. Brothers Emmanuel and Innocent are true givers and their love for the artists and their city is evident. The place is outstanding, the ambience is amazing and the concept is great. A must visit in Kigali.

In the words of Emmanuel 'we do not judge who joins us based on their talent, we just want to ensure they have the same vision.' Well said my friend, well said.

San Francisco, California
“Wonderful artist community”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I had heard about Inema Arts Center during a visit to CMU Rwanda, which is right next door and displays some of the work of their artists.

During a group dinner, we were treated to an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime performance of authentic Rwandan dance, singing, and drumming. During my two week trip to Rwanda I saw many different traditional dance and music performances and there is simply no comparison. The performers from Inema are captivating, energetic, and extremely talented. They left me with memories I will never, ever forget. I cannot overstate the experience.

After their performance, I asked Emmanuel if he would consider giving me a djembe lesson. He was very flexible on time and the price was very reasonable. He even picked us up at our hotel and drove us to a cafe on the way to the Arts Center.

I think if I had been in a smaller group I would have had more of an actual lesson. I have a background in drumming and have my own djembe, so I was hoping for some more thorough instruction. However, I had a great time jamming with the adults, teens, and kids who were at Inema. Eventually the neighbors tired of us, and they taught us some of the traditional dances instead.

We then spent some time going through the gallery, watching the women making jewelry and some people painting outside. I got to meet a few of the artists who showed me their work, including a young man who had his paintings in the children's room.

Emmanuel and Innocent have built a very peaceful, positive environment that is community focused and educational. It's so worth popping in to check out the artwork, buy a few crafts from their store, and meet some of the amazing artists Kigali has to offer.

Visited February 2014