“Amazing Art Stories”
Review of Ivuka Arts Centre

Ivuka Arts Centre
Ranked #8 of 40 things to do in Kigali
Reviewed December 8, 2014

This Center was amazing. Young people, mainly poor, come to learn to paint and wow, what incredible art that they create. I was thrilled to visit the place.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"backyard"
"buying"

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Ivuka Arts Studio was definitely my favorite part of Kigali. It's a short moto ride from Discover Rwanda Hostel. The staff here is awesome and the art.. oh man. It's beautiful. I purchased a painting of penguins and I loved every part of it. Sadly I lost it on the night bus traveling back to my house in Uganda and now a piece of me will always be missing. I can't afford another one but I am still so thankful I saw the piece. WIsh I still had it though :( If I end up back there I'm definitely going back!!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The first time I stumbled on Ivuka several years ago I just thought it was some eccentric persons house. My friend and I just stumbled in, led by the intriguing public outdoor display and there was a feeling like entering Oz, discovering something special and entirely unexpected. The compound is wonderful, a place that is very much designed first to give the artists a sense of home, then be something pleasing to guests. By the time you actually enter the 'gallery', a room with paintings stacked 20 high in every corner of the room, ridiculous given the extraordinary quality of each piece, the entire bounty of a highly creative country so densely and casually displayed that the sense of discovery is very real. This is no an art gallery, it is a place where wonderfully talented artists create their art, then don't seem to really know what to do with the fruits of their labor.

The feeling of whimsy and fancy is deep her, it is absolutely not as professional as neighboring Inema Arts, for example, yet the fantasy land feeling, close connection to the creative process and sense of discovery make for an experience quite like any other art buying scenario.

And again, the art is absolutely fantastic.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Ivuka Arts Center is the parent of other Kigali art centers in that their proprietors got started here. The art is brave and fun - it almost speaks aloud. I visited with friends in February of 2014 and several of us bought very reasonably priced pieces, which were quickly prepared for travel while we waited. These are unique and stunning pieces, sure to remind us of a beautiful country, a wonderful trip, and the power of art to communicate.

1  Thank J L