“Sake Kigali”

Sakae Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 145 Restaurants in Kigali
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Sakae Japanese Restaurant. Providing Rwanda with fresh Sushi / Sashimi / Teppanyaki Excellence in Dining since 2011.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good food and service. The atmosphere was also nice although it is a bitout of the way. Sushi was really yummy!

1  Thank DLH90
Paul L, Manager at Sakae Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

There are newer reviews for Sakae Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The food was delicious and the service was amazing. The sushi could use less rica so that you can actually fit it in your mouth. My favorite was the korean plate we ordered. No surprise; the owners are korean.
Please order the fried ice cream... You will not regret it.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Not only does Sakae have wonderful food, but undoubtably the most attentive, friendly, and quick service in Rwanda. What a blessing this place is to those weary of waiting forever for their food at many of the other establishments in Kigali.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Sakae is amazing. I can understand that people who may have been here once or twice might have had a not-so-amazing piece of sashimi or something that turned them off, but as someone who goes there all the time, I think Sakae has some of the best food in Kigali pretty consistently.

As everyone has pointed out, the owners here are Korean. That doesn't mean I don't stuff my face with 'westernized' sushi favorites every time I come here. The Alaska Roll is my favorite - delicious, and though the sushi rolls definitely don't have so many pieces (8 usually), they are substantially sized and enough to make a roll a meal for me (I can't eat one piece without compromising my manners and having chipmunk cheeks). The sushi and sashimi on the menu do take some navigation - certain items are definitely better than others.

Of course, the fish doesn't come caught fresh to Kigali, but you have to admit that given where this restaurant is located and the types of ingredients they use, it's all quite good and the prices aren't unreasonable (the lunch box, which has beef bulgogi, tofu, shrimp, squid, rice, tempura and two pieces of sushi, is about $12).

The staff and service here are also incredible, and the food comes out very quickly. Once, we were so ravenously hungry that we inhaled our salads - the waiter came over and apologized that he must have brought us salads that were too small, since we ate them too quickly and BROUGHT US A SECOND ROUND OF SALAD (if you've ever had this divine, complimentary salad, you understand why this is so incredible).

Love this place.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

If I could give another half a star I would. I have been to this Japanese/Korean restaurant several times since it opened and it has never let me down. One nice thing is that theynow recognise me and welcome me back warmly. Most recently a few friends and I tried the teppanyaki and it was excellent. While I have eaten from there a la carte menu and most of the styles of food they present, there is something quite special about this mode of cooking and eating. We really enjoyed it.
I think this restaurant is one of the best in Kigali. Some say it is expensive and it is true that if you are on a tight budget it may not suit your purse. However I think you get value for money. the food is always fresh, the service is very good, in fact excellent for Kigali where this is sometimes a problem. The ambience is lovely, particularly if the weather is OK for sitting outside and the staff are friendly. There is not much more you can ask for.