“Amazing stay!!”

Good News Guest House
Ranked #2 of 110 Kigali B&B and Inns
“Amazing stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staying at Ben's guesthouse was an amazing experience for me. I was part of a large school group and Ben and the rest of the staff made us all feel incredibly welcome.
The rooms were of an exceptionally high quality and were cleaned to a very high standard every day.
The food was always prepared quickly and satisfied a very large group of very hungry teenagers!
All in all a wonderful stay which I would reccomend to anyone looking for a homely, comfortable place of lodging in the heart of Kigali.
Long live Good News!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kathmandu, null, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the other reviews on here, I knew I had to stay at GNGH. I stayed three nights and really enjoyed it. There was always hot water, the food was great, and the staff are wonderful. Every time you enter the front door, someone is there with a smile to welcome you back. Ben, the owner, is very friendly and more than happy to offer advice on places to visit or to tell you about his life in Rwanda. The guesthouse is not far from "town"; it's only a 600-700 rwf moto ride away. It is the best price I found for accommodation in Kigali as well.

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Good News Guest House was perfect! We arrived and met Ben at reception, who promptly showed us our room and explained everything we needed to know about it. When we realized we didn't have the right plug converter, he immediately brought us one he had that we could use for the weekend. All the staff at the guest house are great. Every time we left the guest house someone would arrange for transportation for us, including directions written in two different languages to show the drivers on the way home (we traveled mostly by moto, but also by private taxi a bit as well). The breakfast is delicious (the best fruit I've ever had, eggs, toast, and coffee) and you can eat outside overlooking the city in a really pretty garden area. Everything was very clean, safe, and the wifi worked great. Best of all, we arrived on a Friday and I was hoping to set up activities to learn about and better understand the genocide for Saturday. Ben was happy to show us around Saturday, even on such short notice. Being a survivor himself, his perspective was truly amazing to hear and I was extremely grateful to him for sharing. His message of forgiveness is one that I will never forget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Kigali is not an inexpensive city so you can pay a lot for very little. The Good News Guest House is a welcome exception. The prices are very affordable, the rooms are simple and clean, the staff friendly and attentive and the food good. Ben, the manager, is also incredibly welcoming and can help you with all the information you need. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

The first thing I told Ben when I came in was that this place is eligible to be called a hotel and not just a B&B :) - tucked a little away from the city center ( 20 min), this is a property with big spacious rooms, well equipped & hygienic bathrooms.

I'm a frequent traveler to African countries and the water pressure and bathroom quality in this price segment was one of the best !

This guest house is in a big complex that also houses a church.

The show stealer is the breakfast - it's not the breakfast itself but the ambiance that surrounds that bowl of fruit. Sitting in the garden, overlooking the city on this hill - it can be a super relaxing.

Although I did not try, the staff is open to taking requests on the meals the guests demand.

The wi-fi works fine and it is easy to get a moto at the gate of the guest house since it's a busy road. The rooms can be minimalistically equipped for those used to opulence but for $50, this is the best Kigali offers.

The Owner Ben is an open, educated and helpful guy who volunteered to give me a quick tour of the city on my short visit to Kigali.

Definitely recommended and I would not mind visiting again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the extreme back ( Room 10) has wi-fi reception issues, stay closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WhereIsPrateekToday
Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at Ben's guest house my first and last nights in Rwanda (I was in Kibogora for the majority of the trip) and loved it. Ben and the staff were very welcoming, helpful, and cheerful. I had two different rooms each night and both were very clean and comfortable. Hot showers, too! I felt spoiled. The food was really incredible-- french toast and fruit and coffee/tea my first morning in Kigali. I had the biggest filet of tilapia I've ever seen (Ben said it's from Lake Victoria) my last night there, and rice, avacado, and fries as well. I also did some bird watching in the garden. Saw an African red-chested sunbird and got an awesome picture of it! Ben also does some really great work in the community with survivors of the 1994 genocide, so it was wonderful to be able to stay at a lovely guest house and support his ministry at the same time. If you're going to Kigali, stay at Good News Guest House!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This guest house is pretty new. I had a big corner room with a king size bed, closet, and desk. Shower was clean and had a shower curtain. WIFI was stronger in the eating area. The location was unknown to most taxi drivers as it is new (direct them to the Gikondo police station, then go to the Methodist church in that block). You can ask for dinner the day of, and Harriet the cook carefully prepares a well-balanced meal for you at a reasonable price. For mornings when I needed my breakfast to go, I ask her the night before to prepare something to go. Beware that from this location you'll have to take taxi or moto-taxi to other places, so there will be an additional transportation cost. I preferred the quiet over an in-city location, so that is the price I pay. I highly recommend this place after staying at other hotels throughout Rwanda. If it's important to you to make a social impact, the owner works with victims of the genocide (many of whom are employed at the guest house).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business