“friendly staff tasty food”
Review of Magda Cafe

Magda Cafe
Ranked #7 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Kigali
Description: Http://rwanda.eastafricanref.com/index.php/51-hospitality/restaurants/237-magda-cafe-in-prester-building-kacyiru
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Staying at the hostel about 2 minute walk away I've had quite a few meals here. The menu is a decent 'western' bistro style. Pesto chicken on foccacia with a beautiful avocado side salad, or there is bbq beef. Meals are executed well, though sometimes takes a while, but the quality is high. Very tasty, the staff are also great. Very welcome break from BBQ and the value is quite good, much better than the mexican place.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

As I work close by, we would eat here quite often. The menu is decent, but it is slow. It takes at least an hour to have lunch (45 min wait and 15 min to eat). Several times the electricity went out and they don't have a generator. So, if you have time and want a simple meal, try it.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I love this place. The coffee is great as are the meals I've had here over the years. I am definitely what you call a regular at this point and love the environment, service, and food. The internet is always working and the service is fast (relative to other Kigali eateries and coffeehouses). It is tucked away in a short of hard to find spot the first time you go, but this is precisely what I love about it. It's quiet, it's calm, and it's the best spot to spend an afternoon working quietly on a project or just reading a book.

The decor is pretty generic and it does resemble Bourbon in menu and furnishings, but I sort of like it's no nonsense set up. It isn't trying too hard to be trendy like some other spots in Kigali where the food and service are worse, but people pay more and they're overly crowded simply because they're the "cool" spots to see and be seen. Magda has no problem being simple and straight-forward. It is what it is and puts on no airs in the way it operates. I also find this refreshing!

So check it out - definitely a great lunch and afternoon spot to work or have a quiet working lunch with colleagues!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Madga is one of my regular lunch places and as a Cafe I prefer it to both Bourban (all franchises) and Chokola Lite, nice menu, satisfactory service.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Discover Rwanda Hostel (about 50m away) for almost 3 weeks and came to Magda Cafe almost every day, and sometimes twice. By the end of my stay in Kigali the service staff recognized my face. I visited Magda in the morning for an iced americano and often came back for lunch. As a vegetarian, Magda has many veggie options. Since Magda is hidden, located in the back of a building with the entrance facing away from the main street, its always less crowded than its competitor Shokola on the other side of the building. However, I greatly prefer Magda over Shokola. The service is quicker and their food options are better. My favorite was their turmeric chicken salad - YUM. I remember it had bananas, avocados and THE best dressing.