“A great stay and lovely staff”

Inside Afrika Boutique Hotel
Ranked #29 of 113 Kigali B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A great stay and lovely staff”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel arranged for us to be picked-up at the airport by Francis for a cost of $20 USD and we drove approx twenty minutes until we reached the hotel. The hotel is located in a lovely leafy suburb of Kigali and approx 15 minute walk to the main shopping district of the town. It is behind a wall and a secure gate which is closed at night. However, we quickly learned that Kigali is a very safe city and our concerns about theft/ personal safety unwarranted.

The rooms were as described. Very comfortable with funky African theme. Wi-fi and mosquito nets available in each room. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day but sometimes had to ask for glasses/ cups/ toilet roll or water that had been overlooked. The hotel is in a quiet location and beds comfortable so had a good night's sleep each night. Enjoyed breakfast which consisted of cereal, toast, fruit, juices and delicious omelettes on request.

The staff really made this hotel. Eric the manager was accessable to guests at all times and Patrick a very charming young man. They were all lovely but I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember the names of everyone. They were all very helpful though.

Inside Afrika organised a driver, Alphonse, to take us to Ntarama and Nyatama Churches. Alphonse was a great guide, perfect English and a great understanding of Rwanda now and then. He came into the churches with us to make sure we understood what was being explained by the curator and filled in any language gaps. When we got back to the City he took us on a tour around the City showing us landmarks and suburbs we might be interested in. We really enjoyed our day with Alphonse.

We stayed at Inside Afrika on three different occassions while in Rwanda. The lovely staff, comfortable rooms, and close proximity to restaurants such as Republika and Heaven made this the perfect place for us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scottishlisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
South Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

12 of us were travelling together to celebrate my husbands birthday. Due to the number of us I booked quite awhile ago and hence used them as a bit of a sounding board to help with the rest of the trip. We couldnt have been happier. Communication with us before hand was quick and helpful, the staff were beautiful especially Ramazon. It was easy to walk to restaurants at night and the included breakfast was delicious. Our rooms didn't have 5 star finish but we didnt expect that and we loved the homely African decorations in our room and around the hotel.The lounges outside our rooms were well used as was the pool. It was easy to walk into the main shopping area, uphill on the way in but downhill all the way home!
Some of our friends luggage hadnt arrived and again it wasnt too much trouble for Eric to help us with that. We loved Rwanda and it was a great way to be introduced to the country.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EthioOz
Boston
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have lived in Rwanda for a year and really wanted to try this new hotel, so I booked it for family the night they arrived in Kigali. Unfortunately, when we arrived, they acted as if they did not have our reservation (even though I called 2 times to confirm). In addition, instead of admitting they lost the reservation, they then said that a man was sick and could not check out as scheduled...I found this a little suspect, as another "trip advisor" reviewer wrote that the same thing happened to her. I have never written a bad review on anything on trip advisor, but if Inside Afrika wants to be considered a top-rate boutique hotel, they need to get their reservation system worked out. Thankfully, we knew the area, and booked another hotel on our own, but I would not recommend booking here if you are coming from outside the country, as they may lose your reservation.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily N

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here two nights, and it was the best room of my three week tour. Beautiful view across a quiet pool (no one swam in it, more like a reflecting pond - but you can use it). Nice staff. And the internet worked all the time! Good breakfast. Safe location, with a security guard on duty. Nice decorations, and not threadbare and run down like several places I stayed at. Good location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sharon59801
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After three months teaching in Rwanda my husband joined me and we stayed in Inside Afrika room 103. It was glorious. The pool was right at our door and I swam every chance I got. After many cold showers, the hot shower was nirvana. And swimming was heavenly. Loved the breakfast. The staff are wonderful. So glad to de stress there for a few days.

Room Tip: 103. next to pool amd breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank anneelperin
Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

We were a group of three couple visiting Kigali. One of our party booked this boutique hotel for our four night stay and it was fantastic! Great and friendly staff, located within walking distance of the city centre and a number of restaurants. Safe neighborhood (the whole city seemed very safe at all hours with no cautionary tales of after dark areas to avoid). Great value for money, great rooms and delicious complimentary breakfast.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Spin H
Chichester, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I arrived late at night my first time in Africa to be taken to another hotel as my reservation had not been honored. Also worth noting is that I was told that my taxi to Ruhengeri would be 400.00. I knew from a friend to pay 100 dollars max for a small car. I really wanted to stay here so I could wake up my first day and take a swim but I did get a good night sleep and had a wonderful dinner and breakfast at Gorilla Hotel. Gorilla is not updated but it's really friendly and has a lively scene in the open air restaurant.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo