“Gym and pool not bad, but watch out for the infrastructure and food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lemigo Hotel

Lemigo Hotel
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Arusha, Tanzania
“Gym and pool not bad, but watch out for the infrastructure and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Having spent many nights in many different hotels in Kigali since 2001, I was expecting a lot more, given the price and website, than Lemigo offered. Pool was not bad, as was the gym (if stuffy), but the infrastructure leaves a great deal to be desired. No A/C in our conference room (into which the nearly equatorial sun blazed the first half of each day), I was trapped in my room when the handle broke....and only rescued (after phoning first housekeeping then reception) when I got through to one of my colleagues who went to the desk, and the shower simply stopped working one morning. Calls to reception/housekeeping were fruitless, so I used the sink. No fan in the room (and no mozzie net).... Then the food (since this was a workshop, no way to go elsewhere for breakfast and lunch) - within 3 days, my tummy was churning, and had me running to the loo on a regular basis. Given the high price tag on top of everything else, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone, except a resident of Kigali looking for access to a better gym/pool than is offered by Umubano (where I normally stay). If you have mega $$$$ to spare, stay at the Serena - otherwise, you are better off at the Umubano, where you are within walking distance to restaurants and shops!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ADTLilongwe
Public R, Marketing Manager at Lemigo Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2015
We appreciate your comments and are happy to respond: We apologize that our Gym, AC and or Hotel infrastructure did not measure up to your expectations.

We are currently expanding our hotel capacity, and we will have a new Gym with all modern equipment and hotel facilities that you should expect to find in a fine hotel. The conference halls and our guests rooms have now been served with AC enough to ensure your comfort.

Now we have a wide selection of foods: Indian , Chinese, Nyama Choma, Mongolia dishes, Continental and African Dishes at your Disposal.

TIPS: Whenever you or your friends plan to come to stay at Lemigo Hotel, Please ask to speak to our Duty Manager or even our General Manager if you are completely dissatisfied with any of our services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Selkirk, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

This jet-lagged traveller stayed for only a brief time but long enough to be impressed with the service and attention that was received. The room accomodation was more than satisfactory with quiet comfort. The morning brought a very satisfying breakfast buffet with attentive table service. The pool looked inviting but my stay was not long ewnough to take advantage.
I would not hesitate to book a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 1953MACAOIDH
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Generally good service, rooms and facilities but over-priced. Food was OK but limited choice on menu, room was well-sized and comfortable. The layout of the hotel is rather strange and it often seemed like a long walk just to get to the restaurant despite it being just outside the room window!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Pete H
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Hotel is in a nice location, 10min from the Airport.
Rooms really big, really old, poor lightning, noisy and poor decor. The staff is ok, they try...
Pool is ok and food below average. Overpriced for what it is...

Room Tip: No elevators, so request a room near the lobby, or bring your work-out shoes.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank pabloruiz320
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I found the Lemigo to be a surprisingly modern and nice setup in Kigali. The bed was comfortable, service and food very good, and the location just right. The room was big, the only drawback was a narrow and awkward shower.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank futisaba
Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a poorly designed and poorly managed hotel. Travelers would be well advised to stay elsewhere.

We stayed here on Christmas night after a series of flights from Tanzania. Upon check in, everything seemed fine. The room was very basic but acceptable until I went to take a shower and realized there was no hot water. I called the front desk who said they would send someone to look at it. Maintenance came and left with little explanation of what the problem was or how it would be corrected. 30 minutes later, I called the front desk again and was asked "Didn't maintenance come?" I explained the situation - that maintenance had come but the problem persisted. The front desk assured me that they would correct the problem. After several more minutes, the problem wasn't fixed and I went up to the front desk and asked for another room. This request sparked a heated argument between the hotel staff - I don't speak the language but voices were raised and tempers were quickly flaring. I was told someone would be by to move us to another room. Alas, however, that never happened until I made another trip the front desk. Finally, we moved to another room two hours after we had originally checked in.

The new room was sub-par. The floor tiles were cracked and chipped. The drapes did not fit the window. The shower leaked badly and was not properly secured to the wall. We had to be very careful showering to ensure we did not rupture a pipe. There was calk and other evidence of maintenance attempts on the room gone awry. The bathroom was pathetically small - I have been on cruise ships with bigger bathrooms. Nonetheless, I finally had hot water. What we did not have was toilet paper or bottled water for brushing teeth. My stay at the Lemigo reminded me of a Seinfield episode - Not a square to spare at the Lemigo. We ended up getting bottled water from the restaurant at an additional charge.

The restaurant itself was sub-par. Poor food, slow service, orders misfiled, unhelpful waitstaff, etc.

The design of the hotel is also poor. Rooms are situated around the pool, restaurant and bars and the inside rooms overlook all of this. This creates constant noise and makes it impossible to get much rest. The noise and commotion also spills into the outside rooms via the maze of stairways and hallways that aren't always connected and which make little sense without a road map.

Rwanda and Kigali are quickly developing and are doing a good job in this regard. I've got to believe there are superior options than the Lemigo hotel. I will not stay here again and would advise others to avoid this property.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Public R, General Manager at Lemigo Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2015
We take note of your experience at our hotel. We sincerely apologize that this is not how we conduct business here and we are sorry that you did not get our usual good service as expected.

We have so far addressed all the preventive maintenance issues, liaised with all relevant hotel departments to avert such problems in future. For your comfort, whenever you or any of your friends plan to stay at Lemigo Hotel, Please note that we have better rooms at your disposal: Executive Rooms, Junior Suites, Executive Suites and Presidential Suite.

Better still, we are just about to complete a new hotel extension by 2016 to anticipate all your needs, you would expect to find in a fine Hotel. We have : Authentic Indian and Chinese foods, Mongolia foods, Nyama Choma ( Barbeque) , African foods at your request and even as we speak to you now, slow service is a thing of the past! We have a live band to keep your thoroughly entertained.

Should you plan to come to Lemigo Hotel and are not satisfied with our service, Please contact our Manager on Duty or even our General Manager if you are completely dissatisfied with any of our services. We look forward to better times and I would personally like to invite you or your friends for a drink or over a meal whenever you are here in Rwanda.

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Nairobi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed a few days, doing business. The hotel looks very good and has a good swimming pool and a gym, so if your are the sports type who wants to keep fit, this is not bad. The gym just needs to repair the noisy treadmills. The room was spacious but the furniture and other amenities were not the best. conditioning was noisy and the door to the "veranda" was not working. What I did not appreciate at all was the restaurant: slow service, the food is not great, breakfast could be better.

Room Tip: Higher floors and facing the interior should be better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business