“One of the best hotels I've used in Africa” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lemigo Hotel

Lemigo Hotel
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Warwick, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels I've used in Africa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Leaving aside luxury like the Kempinski in Dar es Salaam, Lemigo is one of the best hotels I've used in Africa. The staff are very welcoming, friendly and efficient. The public areas are bright and kept clean and in good repair. The restaurant serves pretty good and well-priced food (the Lemigo platter for 2 is especially good value as it will serve 3-4). Breakfast is included in the rate. The bedrooms are clean, airconditioned and with comfortable beds but are sparsely furnished. My bathroom (shower only) was small and unsophisticated but at least it had a hot water tank. There is a pool, gym and night club, none of which I used. It has free wifi which is appallingly slow despite the effort Rwanda has made to provide fibre across the country recently. The airport shuttle is also free, as is using the business centre to print off boarding passes! Overall, it's impressive for Africa and I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have patio doors. Choose either inward-looking over the pool, or outward over road and/or...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Rwanda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'll start by setting the context: I'm an expat who lives in Rwanda and works regularly with hotels and restaurants as part of my job,

I have stayed overnight here, made bookings for guests here, arranged meetings here, and stopped by on the weekends for lunch and to use the pool. Overall, I am NOT impressed. The only thing preventing it from being "terrible" is the fact that they have an intimate pool area and good lunch. Everything else is pretty awful.

During my stay, I had laundry done, and a number of items were not returned to me. I complained twice, and both times I was told that no one knew where my clothes were. No offer to pay for them or any sort of discount on my room. Also, the bathroom was bizarrely laid out, and the mini fridge was locked when I arrived, so I had to have someone come up to the room and unlock it.

When I had guests stay there recently, they were arriving in the middle of the night, so we went to pre-check them in so that when they arrived they could go straight up to their beds. It took 2 HOURS for them to figure it all out (there were only 3 guests).

Recently, we booked a room for a large meeting. One day before the meeting they called and said they cancelled our booking because a larger group needed the room. Totally unprofessional!

Whoever is managing this hotel needs to take some basic hospitality and customer service courses because it's a joke!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 17 days and enjoyed it throughly. Had to learn to appreciate the slower pace, Rwanda isn't Los Angeles. The hotel staff were fantastic and worked hard at seeing our every need was met. Ate at the hotel often and the chef would make whatever we asked. The manager Ben is gracious to say the least and is constantly on the move day and night checking on the details. The staff are continually cleaning. The pool sparkles. The room was great. The internet worked well in the business office.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Berkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way to the gorillas and on the way back. The location is good from the airport,- about 15 minutes but not near the city centre. The hotel looks good from the outside and the reception area is bright and welcoming. The rooms are old-fashioned and basic and the bathrooms need up-dating. The pool is lovely but not heated. The restaurant seemed tired and empty but the food was good. The hotel advertises a pizzeria but this was closed, although you could get pizza at the bar. The waiters were pleasant but the service was rather slow.
Overall,- This hotel is fine for one or two nights when you're not spending long there but the rooms do need up-dating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheilambutcher
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed twice en route to and from Gorilla trekking in August this year. We thought the hotel was in many respects, like Rwanda ie new to Tourism but trying very hard to catch up. The hotel staff, and reception staff in particular, were very attentive with a good level of English.(Despite the fact that Rwanda is trying to encourage its nationals to learn English, you really do need a level of French to get by).
Rooms were fairly well equipped but starting to look a little tired in some ways (eg bathroom fittings needed some maintenance). In our case I had to refit the shower head to stop the leak and get a good flow - you just have to laugh and think of Basil Fawlty
Would have preferred separation of smoking tables on the patio/restaurant but this is really no different to many places elsewhere.
We only used the hotel as a stopping off point but it did the job for us. We even had a short time by the pool and despite the cool temperature of the water, enjoyed a brief dip. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We arrived here at the end of an 11 day safari in Tanzania and 5 days up in the mountains of Rwanda--so we were thrilled with all the hot water, hair dryer, and good food. I found the hotel quite lovely, the staff helpful, clean, and very slow/poor internet connection--but it was free!

I am puzzled by the following poor ratings, as this isn't what I experienced at all.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 16 nights last year. The hotel looks better from outside than inside. My room was not that bad, except the toilet. It was small, the shower space was terrible and I had to wait for at least 10 minutes for the warm water. Internet connection was terrible. The other thing that I did not like about this hotel is the fact that it is far from the downtown and there are no nice restaurants near it so we had to dine at the hotel restaurant where the service is unbelievably slow.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business