“It was ok for the price I paid”

Top Tower Hotel Kigali
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
“It was ok for the price I paid”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I like the food;a bit expensive,but you get free breakfast!I like that they have a nice club and to mingle with nice people.The view was outstanding.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Top Tower Hotel is located a bit outside of downtown Kigali but nicely situated in an area which contains Shokola Lite Cafe, an odd but yummy-food serving Chinese Restaurant and embassy housing. The appearance is your typical looking, "built in a hurry with mostly Chinese materials" kind of hotel. However, the decor is inviting if a bit simple.

I think this hotel would appeal to business travelers on a long stay, tourists who need quiet and large conferences. It does not have much charm but the rooms are surprisingly comfy and plush. If you get a room on the inside, you must note that there is an odd, narrow hallway outside of your window but don't worry, hardly anyone uses it. Other nicer rooms have a window facing the outside.

As mentioned, the facilities are modern, my bed was super comfy and they have AC thank goodness (seems other hotels in Kigali lack this). I reserved my room via Expedia and they received the reservation. Expedia did not allow for online payment but at least they can reserve for you which is quite a rarity in countries I've visited in Africa.

One complaint, the bathroom had a strong, damp smell but when I ran the fan for an hour, it seemed to go away. I also saw a small roach in the bathroom as well but quite frankly, I've seen much worse in other countries so it really didn't bother me. It would be best to not have food in the room in any case.

There is this crazy, funky modern 360 degree view bar on top of the hotel that is a must see. The view of the city is stunning at night. The staff there were beyond friendly but, as is the case in many "upscale" bars in Kigali, the clientele is mostly older men so the ambiance is a little dull. Still, it merits a visit just for the view.

There is a little bar downstairs and that's about it for facilities. Breakfast is served on the second floor and was perhaps the worst I'd had in Rwanda. I even noted the staff were helping themselves to the buffet and there was a loud TV blaring in the background. I quickly fled to Shokola Cafe for a decent breakfast.

Overall, Top Tower is comfy and if you just need a decent room in which to crash that is super quiet, stay here.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a business room for a better view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Having baulked at the exorbitant $135 per 'special offer' for dirty room at the LAICO just down the road I'm glad I settled for the $110 Top Tower. The staff were friendly and helpful (rare in my experience) the breakfast acceptable and fast and no problems with paying by credit card. The same cannot be said for LAICO 'oh our card machine isn't working'. I didn't try room service but the crystal bar has a great view, if a little cheesy, the aircon worked and the rooms are massive. The place was starting to show some signs of wear but nothing to complain about. The rooms featured a safe, 12 cable channels, hot water and a mini bar. I would highly recommend the place, its like a premier inn in the UK, clean and does the job.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank ChistianC
hoteltoptower, General Manager at Top Tower Hotel Kigali, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Mr. Cristian:
First off all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with the Trip Advisor Community about your recent stay with Top Tower Hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and that you have taken the time to post this review. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We know that travellers have a choice where to stay when they travel to Kigali and we always try to offer a very good ratio price / value. Top Tower Hotel is a business hotel, with no thrills attached, and we know that many of our customers value our affordable pricing policy. We also understand the importants that you can settle your bill with VISA cards on check out. We also would like to take this opportunity to inform the travelling Trip Advisor community that we do have a new Switchboard, which allows all guests to receive incoming phone calls and place outgoing phone calls directly from the guest room. The new hotel switchboard number is ++250-252 553100. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, you know where to find us. Mr. Cristian, we hope to serve you again on your next visit to Kigali. On behalf of the entire staff and management team we send you our best wishes and warm regards from Kigali.
Pass
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The booking was done by my office, I was given a room on the third floor, with no window to the outside, only to a corridor. There no water in the room, no hot water, and instructions on how to use the hot water heater. International calls could not be passed to my room, so I had to dress again to go downsairs in the evening, just to receive a call. On my day of departure, the taxi to the airport was not on time. Before I left, I asked for another room with daylight and was transfered to teh 7th floor, where the executive rooms are. It was a bit better, only to realise that the internet connection was very poor there. The manager tried to tell me that it was my computer, even though I had had a great connection on the third floor. I ended up paying for a good internet connection with the MTN service provider, available throughout the city. I would not recommend this hotel for busuness travelers, or only for one night in between flights.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
hoteltoptower, Manager at Top Tower Hotel Kigali, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear Ms. Christina:
Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. I have reviewed them with great concern. Comments such as yours are taken very seriously. Unfortunately I was unaware that you had requested a room change due to an internal breakdown in communication.
I trust the upgrade to the Tower Prestige room on the 7th floor with the large bay windows and the nice view over the city was to your liking. The hotel does currently not have the technical capacity to allow and transfer incoming and outgoing telephone calls. We hope that we will be able to resolve this issue in the near future. We do offer mobile phones for rent at the Front Desk which may help some guests overcome this inconvenience.
Regarding the weak signal of your hotel Wi-Fi connection on the 7th floor, I can only assure you that as long as you have one bar on your laptop you should get a signal; I also pointed out that during that particular time of the day when we spoke that our ISP provider was having frequent service interruptions; that is something which is unfortunately out of our hands. We have filed a formal complaint with the ISP provider and hope that they will resolve this issue shortly, which happens from time to time.
We are really sorry that you did not seem to have enjoyed your stay as much as you could have. We also hope that if your travel should take you sometime again in the future to Kigali, you will give us a second opportunity to serve you the way you deserve.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Yours sincerely,
Klaus Lapp

Travelers are raving about these Kigali hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Lets face it, hotels are waay overpriced in Kigali, so at $90 a night, this is a deal. The rooms are spacious and clean (although I did see the odd cockaroach here and there). They have a restuarant where I wasnt poisoned when I ate so it wasnt that bad. And its centrally located. What more can one ask? Also if youre the gambling type, there is a casino in the hotel.

The negatives are: internet service & business center (neither were working when I stayed but perhaps the problem is now resolved), no ability to get phone calls in your room (ok probably also resolved), every piece of everything in that hotel is imported from China so unless youre proficient in Mandarin you wll not be able to properly work the air conditioner, TV or even shower. The mattress on the bed is VERY firm (think wooden board firm). Also service is typically Rwandan... but hey when in Africa you just cant expect NYC style service especially if youre only paying $90 a night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DevelopmentWorker
hoteltoptower, Manager at Top Tower Hotel Kigali, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear guest:
thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are working very hard to improve customer satisfaction and service; we take your comments seriously. We are pleased to hear that you found our rates very reasonable in comparaison with the local market. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Kind regards,
Manager
Top Tower Hotel
Nairobi
Reviewed February 16, 2011

very incompetent staff. booked through a travel agent here in Nairobi at a price of $135 BB for a double sharing corner room. checked in and were asked if we could take two singles. agreed and got two singles rooms were smelling of cigarette smoke and breakfast was awful. when we went to check out they demanded extra $110 for the single rooms which was not even our idea. tried explaining that we were on a package trip and we were asked to take two single by their staff. our arguments went on to deaf ears and ended up paying $110 as we were late for our flight for a service we never asked for. pure con business

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
hoteltoptower, Manager at Top Tower Hotel Kigali, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for providing constructive feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I have read your comments very carefully and have reviewed them with the respective department heads. We deeply regret the miscommunication and the issues you experienced during your stay at the hotel. Comments such as yours help me to identify shortfalls in services provided and assist us to plan and correct future mistakes. Once again, on behalf of the staff and management team of Top Towere Hotel, thank you for taking the time to report the mistakes. Please accept our applogies for any inconveniences caused.
Kind regards,
Top Tower Hotel
Florence, Italy
Reviewed December 9, 2010

The hotel is quite recently built, clearly turn-key by a Chinese company. It's like being in China. The quality of the furniture and finishing is quite bad, but the overall judgment is positive. Service leave a bit to desire. Everything you ask for takes time. You wait 30-40 minutes for your order at the restaurant. Anyway overall helpfullness is okay (with a bit of insistance). I'd go back. Anytime

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business