“Quiet retreat”

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Tacoma, Washington
“Quiet retreat”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Golf Hill Residence upon arrival. They provided a shuttle to pick me up at the airport (although the driver arrived late and while I was waiting didn't know if I should get a taxi or continue to wait for him. I waited and he arrived about 15 minutes later.) Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. I was placed in a room that had an adjacent shared bathroom, but there was no one else in the other room that shared the bathroom the entire time I was there, so I had the bathroom to myself. The room was spacious and very quiet. The bathroom was also very big. Mine had a shower only (no bathtub). Unfortunately they didn't supply any shampoo or lotion, only soap. Be sure to bring your own! I had to buy some while I was there because I had thought the hotel would provide some.

The location of the hotel is also in a very quiet area, but yet close enough to the middle of town so it wasn't inconvenient.
They serve a wonderful complimentary breakfast and also provide room service for lunch and dinner at no additional charge. All of the food was fresh and delicious. The kitchen closes at 10pm. This is good because there really aren't any restaurants within a close walking distance to the hotel.

The pool didn't have any water in it (although it would've been to chilly to swim anyway!) and I didn't see any fitness center (apparently it's under construction?).

The wireless worked perfectly the entire time I was there and the staff are very helpful and friendly. It's very affordable and I will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Melssel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This small hotel consists of two adjacent large homes in the posh Nyarutarama district in Kigali. The management is great and the food is very good compared to what is available in Kigali and has a home made feel to it. The rooms are large and well furnished, beds are big and comfortable, although the lamps are a bit weak at night and the work desk was small. Shower was good too. Internet was free and good for skype, and they accepted credit cards. The pickup at the airport worked great and was at a reasonable price. This place is highly recommended if you like to go running as you can go off-road or around the golf course. The only drawback is you are not in the downtown area, but that may be a plus for some. After hearing from multiple people that they got sick from the food at the Serena hotel, I was really glad I stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MG_Foodie_78
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 14, 2012

OK, I'm fussy.

I want a hotel to be characterful, but not chaotic.
I want my room to be calm, but not bland.
I want hotel staff to be attentive, but not intrusive.
I want food to be fresh, but not fussy.
I want to be among people, but I also want peace and quiet.

You get the picture...

The Golf Hills absolutely hit the spot with me and my business partner and travel companion. We both travel for a living and spend around a third of our lives away from home. We're professional, middle-aged grumps. But neither of us could fault this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank seenfromafar
Paris, France
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Golf Hills is a cost-effective and sure bet, even if it doesn't have the cachet of the well-known hotels. The service, safety and cleanliness are especially good and the breakfasts are excellent. I encountered problems with lost luggage by the airline, and the hotel staff sorted this out for me and other guests. It is easy to get about from there, although not in the centre. Overlooking the golf course (from a distance), it is calm and relaxing. If you are interested in pools, keepfit and networking at the bar, this isn't your place. If you want a quiet place, friendly people, where things work, then you will like Golf Hills, Antoinette and her colleagues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FinParis
Venice, Italy
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel in situated in a quiet residential neighborhood, overlooking the many Kigali hills. Our room was spacious and clean, with a big bathroom. The hotel staff is friendly and cooperative.
A pleasant and relaxing place not very far from the centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annalisa S
Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I often transit through Kigali to head to the DRC or Uganda for work and this is the fourth time I have stayed at this hotel. I strongly recommend it. The manager, Mme Antoinette, is wonderful and so helpful. She has made my journeys in Kigali much easier and has gone beyond the call of duty. For example, last July, I landed in Kigali without my luggage and had to travel to Bukavu (DRC) the next day. Mme Antoinette located my luggage and arranged for it to be sent to me directly in Bukavu. I am so grateful; one does not often receive such great service and dedication in the hospitality industry.

The hotel is great too and in the good hands of Mme Antoinette. It is clean, peaceful and the food is good. I have not tried any other hotels in Kigali, and do not think it’s even worth a try!

Strongly recommended and kudos to Antoinette!

Stephanie

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steph0123
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel is a very good choice not only for Kigali, but you can use it for your discovering the whole country on one-day trips, with the exception of some very remote places. Our room was in the building that is located further from reception, and our room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. Staff is very friendly, service as good as in a 5-star hotel. They serve hearty breakfast, everyday changing some items of food. They provide free pickup at the airport. The hotel is very well managed by Ms. Antoinette who is fluent in French, English, Kinyarwanda and Greek (to my knowledge). She and all members of staff are always there and very helpful.
We were 100% happy at this hotel.

On the negative side, the only problem we had was a taxi driver recommended by the hotel.
Actually, we had required him as he spoke French, a language preferred by my wife. He turned out to be a liar and crook. We complained to Ms. Antoinette and she fired him. His trick consisted in trying to get additional income by starting with empty fuel tank, and then asking us to fill it to a half at the end, earning some extra 30 USD on that (we paid a flat amount per day + all fuel). But as I wrote, Ms. Antoinette acted consistently with the good image of her hotel and sacked him.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple