“Quite and lovely setting just outside city core” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golf Hills Residence

Golf Hills Residence
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Kigali
Ottawa, Canada
“Quite and lovely setting just outside city core”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Rooms were clean and the grounds were lovely. WiFi throughout but weak in some areas. Very quiet residential area while still convenient to the city centre. Food was pretty good too. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brett-Ottawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chico, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Golf Hills is a nice safe place where you can relax and enjoy yourself in Kigali. The staff are friendly and very willing to help, organize taxis and resturant bookings if needed. They have a spa bath room too if you really want to treat yourself to something nice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

After reading several positive reviews here, I decided to stay there on my trip to Kigali. What an excellent surprise! The other time I went to Kigali, I stayed at the Mille Collines, which was more than twice the price and I can say that the Golf Hills was much better.

The place is not luxurious, but is cozy, clean and the service is the best. Since my first contact, by email with the manager Antoinette (which she always respond in less than 30 minutes), everything went smoothly -- and they were so helpful!

First, they picked us up at the airport. Then, my friend was sick and was afraid she had malaria, so Antoinette arranged for a driver to take us to the hospital, wait for us there and return for only USD20. The breakfast was delicious, all the staff super attentive. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We really felt at home. Last, but not least, I forgot my blackberry in the car on my way back to the airport. When I realized this, I was already in Johannesburg. I contacted Antoinette and indeed, the driver had returned the device to the hotel. Antoinette then arranged for another guest to take the phone for me to Joburg - so I had my phone back in less than 12 hours!!

I felt that the hotel staff would help in with any of my needs. Something that is really important when you are so far away from home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Spent some time at Golf Hills and am glad I did. The service was just great and the staff are very helpful. The Manager, Antoinette is very helpful and I actually wondered at one point if she was not the owner because she gives attention to each detail and does her best to make one feel at home. The rooms are great and clean and the quality of the food is the best I had when in Kigali. If you are looking for more than value for money, then Golf Hills is where to go for. Its quite, clean and you will get great service. If I ever open a hotel, I know the manager to go for.

The internet is good and free.

Alex

Room Tip: If you can get the suite or mini suite, then you are set. The other rooms are also great and have ac...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

this is the best you can get in kigali! the rooms are very different, so make sure you get a good room! (the single room next to the wc by the bar.... is not really first choice....) the personal and owner are very nice and pleasant. that they do not provide shampoo...... because of lack of money will remain their secret :-) our room on the first floor in the adjacent house was really really big and nice! breakfast was good and also dinner was nice and cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

My friends, family and I stayed at the Golf Hills Residence Hotel from the 18th to 20th during our 'Gusaba' or traditional Rwandan Introduction.

The team at Golf Hills residence went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. The breakfast as the most important meal of the day, we must say, was very well prepared with a variety of food at the buffet. The range of beverages including our 'African Tea', what we call mixed tea was superbly prepared and the hot stuff (omlette's) were universally well: We still don't know how they did it!. The Manager was hands on in ensuring the the hotel accommodated our diverse needs. The service was excellently:

The rooms were simple, running hot water (it was really there!) when you turned on the taps. The view of the golf course, the quietness and its design as simply a home meets the needs of travelers like us who are so used to hotel type accommodation.

The young ones were kept downstairs while the elderly members of the family were given rooms in the quietness of upstairs, far away from the noise and laughter of the night crawlers!, yes, this was a celebratory trip.

This is my tenth time to Kigali and what a surprise! I honestly could not compare it to any of the highly rated hotels in the city: and the Wi-Fi works! for the geeks in us, this was heaven.

Its location makes the city center accessible via the less congested road (not that Kigali has traffic!), a convenient store is a walking distance and MTN center is about 3,000 amafaranga away by cab.

If there was a hotel that gives value for money and yet provides that sense of being at home, then this is the right prescription. We now have a place to stay in our visits to Kigali! now that we are officially in-laws!

I unreservedly offer my highest recommendation (if you fancy the stuff that I have described above) for anyone to stay in this place. I dare you, these guys know what they are doing!.

Philip

Room Tip: Well if you are a party person, the downstairs is for you! but for those looking for a quiet stay th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am always really suspicious when I see that a place that is rated top in a town/city is full of reviews by people who have only ever posted one review. And after spending a night at the disappointingly sterile Mille Collines hotel I thought I would try it anyway and I wasnt disappointed.

This place lives up to its reviews. Yes it is a little far out if you dont have your own transport (it took me an hour to walk to the genocide museum along a very safe road) but it more than makes up for it in the size of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff. My room was huge and was a suite all for $60 a night which is fantastic value for Kigali.

I had a few minor issues with the food one night and the bathroom - both of which was solved quickly by the hotel.

There is a nice veranda for sitting having a sundowner and a comfortable lounge area where you can chat to other guests. Great breakfast too. If I am ever back in Kigali I wouldn't hestitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo