“How away from Home: 5 Star Service”

Golf Hills Residence
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Kigali
Nairobi, Kenya
“How away from Home: 5 Star Service”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My friends, family and I stayed at the Golf Hills Residence Hotel from the 18th to 20th during our 'Gusaba' or traditional Rwandan Introduction.

The team at Golf Hills residence went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. The breakfast as the most important meal of the day, we must say, was very well prepared with a variety of food at the buffet. The range of beverages including our 'African Tea', what we call mixed tea was superbly prepared and the hot stuff (omlette's) were universally well: We still don't know how they did it!. The Manager was hands on in ensuring the the hotel accommodated our diverse needs. The service was excellently:

The rooms were simple, running hot water (it was really there!) when you turned on the taps. The view of the golf course, the quietness and its design as simply a home meets the needs of travelers like us who are so used to hotel type accommodation.

The young ones were kept downstairs while the elderly members of the family were given rooms in the quietness of upstairs, far away from the noise and laughter of the night crawlers!, yes, this was a celebratory trip.

This is my tenth time to Kigali and what a surprise! I honestly could not compare it to any of the highly rated hotels in the city: and the Wi-Fi works! for the geeks in us, this was heaven.

Its location makes the city center accessible via the less congested road (not that Kigali has traffic!), a convenient store is a walking distance and MTN center is about 3,000 amafaranga away by cab.

If there was a hotel that gives value for money and yet provides that sense of being at home, then this is the right prescription. We now have a place to stay in our visits to Kigali! now that we are officially in-laws!

I unreservedly offer my highest recommendation (if you fancy the stuff that I have described above) for anyone to stay in this place. I dare you, these guys know what they are doing!.

Philip

Room Tip: Well if you are a party person, the downstairs is for you! but for those looking for a quiet stay th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
UK
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am always really suspicious when I see that a place that is rated top in a town/city is full of reviews by people who have only ever posted one review. And after spending a night at the disappointingly sterile Mille Collines hotel I thought I would try it anyway and I wasnt disappointed.

This place lives up to its reviews. Yes it is a little far out if you dont have your own transport (it took me an hour to walk to the genocide museum along a very safe road) but it more than makes up for it in the size of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff. My room was huge and was a suite all for $60 a night which is fantastic value for Kigali.

I had a few minor issues with the food one night and the bathroom - both of which was solved quickly by the hotel.

There is a nice veranda for sitting having a sundowner and a comfortable lounge area where you can chat to other guests. Great breakfast too. If I am ever back in Kigali I wouldn't hestitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank becksupeverest
NYC
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I spent a while at the residence on a business trip in Kigali. The rooms are very clean and modern and the hotel staff is extremely friendly, responsive and helpful. The wifi actually worked very well relative to the Serena's and the food was great too.
I will definitely go back to the residence on my next trip to Kigali!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank FKNyc
tokyo
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I am really pleased to have booked myself at the Golf Hills Residence - I stayed there for 3 weeks and all through the time I had the impression that the hotel staff - at the reception, in the kitchen and the cleaners were always ready to help - and they were attentive to my comfort. I'd recommend it anyone looking for a small-scale and comfortable place in Kigali :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ミニム
Ouagadougou
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Coming back from Congo it was a marvellous choice: Mme Antoinette
gave us a warm welcome, her team is very helpful, rooms are quiet, spacious
and very clean. Good bathroom, beautiful view (terrasse), good Wi-Fi network.
And as for the breakfast: best coffee and omelettes in town! Really good
prices for all that. Whenever in Kigali - I'll choose this hotel!-
MERCI BEAUCOUP, MADAME!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have lived at the Golf Residence twice, it has always been up to standards and has a homely feel to it. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The Manager Antoinette has always been very helpful and kind. I highly recommend it and wish I had more words to describe Golf Hills...It's a lovely place with lovely people

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I visited Ruanda first time ever and choose a hotel near the golf course. Golf Hills residence was the only one answering within 3 days, in fact Antoinette answered in 2 hours. We got a very warm welcome, even if we arrived at 3 oclock at night. The driver was at the airport as promised and Antoinette was waiting for us. During our 2 day stay we could feel like home and the rooms were very clean and big. Absolutely safe place to stay and enjoy the clean and nice city of Kigali!

Room Tip: A double room was very spacious, like a suite. A balcony of our own.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends