“Superb setting”

Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 144 Restaurants in Kigali
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel is an American-owned, private, serene property opened in May of 2008 in the lovely neighborhood of Kiyovu. Started as a social enterprise to improve service levels in the hospitality sector and create employment, Heaven is consistently ranked one of the country's top restaurants with a spectacular ambience on a custom-built outdoor terrace overlooking the entire city. Heaven Boutique Hotel has 22 beautifully appointed hotel rooms with a salt water swimming pool, ensuite private bathrooms, local artwork, free wifi, unlimited coffee/tea/purified water, 24 hour security, just steps from downtown Kigali. In addition to 22 rooms currently in operation, a new luxury hotel expansion is underway just next door to Heaven Restaurant; in Summer 2017 Heaven will open a new wing with 11 luxury rooms all with peaked ceilings and private outdoor terraces, a gym, spa and swimming pool!
Hong Kong, China
“Superb setting”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location, extensive menu (and suitable for veggies), experienced waiters plus plenty of space between tables. With a view overlooking Kigali, this really should be on your list when visiting Kigali.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Failed to live up to its name!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family and I went for dinner the other night and the waiters are relatively friendly so you expect good service. However I am not sure where it breaks down. We were a group of 5 and one of us ordered a starter but we waited for so long after they finished their starter that at that point my children were already insane with hunger. Food generally doesn't take this long in any restaurant worldwide! I ordered chicken from the specials menu and they do not give you the option to choose the piece you want. When the food finally came, my chicken (drumstick which I don't like) was cold and not particularly tasty, it just tasted like boiled chicken. I took two bites and could not eat any more of it. The accompaniment was some cabbage like thing that looked like it had egg yet the waiter had informed me it comes with mash. This is clearly a situation where the waiters are not well versed with the menu or cannot not articulate themselves in English to customers so end up giving wrong information. Dessert also took unusually long to arrive and when it did come it was not anything to write home about. I left hungry, disappointed and wondering why we had paid so much for that kind of a meal. I shall not be going back there.

• Visited September 2013
Heaven_Restaurant, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We would like to invite you back in to show you what we are capable of. We are a training facility and some nights, we don't get it all right, but since you're in Kigali, we'd like to ensure your next experience is perfect so please write us directly to let us know when you plan to come in!
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Yes it's great, but also over-priced”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I ate at Heaven twice during a one week stay in Kigali and where it certainly wins is on atmosphere and service, with a great layout and pleasant, attentive staff. The food was variable - once I had a steak and it was truly delicious; the other time I had the fish tortillas and they were soggy with too much liquid. While the quality is generally 5-star, I think ratings should also reflect value for money and I feel that Heaven is over-pricing itself, perhaps because of the wealthy foreign (especially American tourist) crowd that it attracts. The prices are at European levels and I don't think that should be the case. Eat here and you won't go far wrong on the food, but don't expect a budget experience.

• Visited September 2013
Heaven_Restaurant, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed your overall experience at Heaven. We do offer a wide range of pricing on our menu to accommodate both our local community and international visitors. Quality is our priority and the ingredients we use are often produced by local cooperative farmers who we gladly pay higher prices to in order to support them and organic farming practices when possible. Other products are imported due to Rwanda's land-locked nature which drives costs up but we know, at times, our clientele crave international flavors - like roquefort and figs! for example. We also hire international managers and chefs to provide ongoing training for our staff as part of our mission is to achieve international standards in food quality and service. All of these commitments support the price points we use at Heaven. Any customer can enjoy a 3-course meal at Heaven for $25 which is well below European or USA standard pricing for a fine dining dinner experience and we now offer a completely new Weekend Brunch menu with prices ranging from $4 - $10 per main course. We welcome you back and hope you will enjoy another meal with us soon!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Heaven is indeed Heaven”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This place was one of the highlights of our trip. No one can even touch this place in terms of service or quality of food. The selection was amazing and for vegetarians, like my daughter, there was always lots of choice. Food was absolutely incredible and no where have I had better or friendlier service !!! They also have 4 small, basic rooms which we loved!!! Clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend Heaven !!!

• Visited July 2013
Kigali, Rwanda
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heaven Restaurant and bar”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Maybe I have just picked the wrong dishes and the wrong days. The times I have been at Heaven I have found the staff clumsy, not bringing the right suff. Food is over-priced and my meals have been dry. The burger is good, though, but the rest I have tried is so so. The setting is lovely, for sure, and the restaurant has a good atmosphere but I find the food overrated and I have had food of better quality many times elsewhere in Kigali.

• Visited July 2013
Heaven_Restaurant, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I'm sorry we didn't fulfill your expectations. Please give us a call before you come next time so we can be sure to impress you with the level of excellence in food and service that our Heaven staff is capable of. We are committed to constantly training our staff and appreciate your candid feedback.