All reviews rooftop bar modern hotel infinity pool the city view rooms roof restaurant comfortable bed and pillows goat stew breakfast spread rooms are nice an excellent hotel tea and coffee the general manager great shower first floor great facilities kigali city conference facilities
Selected filters
Reviewed March 7, 2019

My review relates to visiting the rooftop bar for drinks and not to a hotel stay or restaurant use. Firstly if you don't have a head for heights don't go - the canvas drapes are pulled back and you're open on the 12th floor with only just over waist level glass keeping you in, but the views across Kigali are great. Good range of beers at similar prices to other restaurants and bars across the city - around £2 or $2.25 for a bottle with the selection including the darker more bitter type Virunga Mist which is unusual in a country which is more for lager drinkers

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
KennM61, General Manager at Ubumwe Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2019

Dear Richard, Greetings from Ubumwe Grande Hotel.

Thank so very much for choosing to stay with us and for finding time to review us.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we are sorry that you are not a fun of heights.
We look forward to hosting you again the next time your in Kigali.

Reviewed February 18, 2019 via mobile

At the recommendation of our trip planner, We arranged to stay at Ubumwe Grande for two nights at the start of our visit to Rwanda and again the night before we were to fly to Tanzania. During our first stay, we found our room to be very attractive and comfortable (especially loved the rain shower). Staff were helpful and we enjoyed dinner one night in the restaurant. We were looking forward to an equally pleasant stay at the end of our trip, and were pleased to be recognized by one of the staff, Eric, and welcomed back. We explained to him that we would need to depart for the airport promptly at 4:30 am in order to make our flight to Ndutu. He promptly brought us a “breakfast to go” menu and took great care to take our order and double check that it was correct. We also asked for a 4:00 am wake-up call. We were assured that all would be taken care of and that our breakfast boxes would be waiting at reception at 4:30 am. We were pleased with Eric’s attentiveness and gave him a very nice tip.

It is fortunate that we set the alarm on one of our phones because our wake up call camera 3:40 (not 4:00 am as requested) and took the form of two buzzes of our room phone—not a call which we had to answer to confirm that we were indeed awake.

When we went to the lobby at 4:25 and asked for our breakfast boxes, the staff member there had no record that breakfast had been ordered. We were told it would be put together, and we reminded him that we were due to be picked up any moment. Our driver came at 4:30, and we informed him of the situation. He said we could wait a few minutes and the staff member told him the box would be ready in five minutes.

At 4:42, with no breakfast insight, we left the hotel to avoid problems checking in for our flight. We had no time for breakfast there ( and almost nothing appeared open at that hour) and thus we ate nothing until lunch at our safari camp in Ndutu.

Until this experience, I was inclined to give Ubumwe Grande a rating of 4 or 5. The enormous lapse in service led me to give only a 2. We expected much better from this hotel which had been so promising at the beginning of our trip.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kennmunyeki, General Manager at Ubumwe Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2019

Dear beloved guest, Greetings from Ubumwe Grande Hotel !
We appreciate you time for reviewing us and for the feedback.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are rather very sorry that all that smile was wiped away by a small mis-followup that our staff failed to follow up with what you had asked them to follow up on to the extent of missing breakfast. We apologize and promise that the next time we host you, you will not go though the same and any thing close to that experience because the issue has been amended and solved.

Reviewed February 14, 2019

I was working in Rwanda for about 6 months. from August 2018 till Feb 2019

During that time had the chance to stay in several hotels and visits many more in Kigali.
Since I discovered Ubumwe hotel which does not have western brand name, however in my opinion is one of the hidden great 4 stars+ hotels. was vey impressed by the standard and the quality that, I kept staying in this hotel every weekend on my own account.
Compared to a famous few hotels next door , which I do not want to mention.
This Hotel offers :
- Very Clean Modern design , good size rooms with beautiful view of the city, Beautiful bathrooms, The latest in TV equipment, lighting. Very comfortable bed and pillows.
- Excellent location,
- Roof top complex of restaurants, bars, swimming pool, gym room , The view rival
any other roof top around this area.
- The staff are very helpfull all of them , but especially Eric
- The Manager with forcus on Client's need , Richard
- Many other staff are all great , ask for Joyce
- One floor is dedicated to conferences with latest equipment of audio visiual , what a differnence compared to Mille Collines.
- Even of Marriot is considered 5 stars and more luxurious , but I preferr to stay in Ubumwe.
- I stayed in that hotel more than 20 times and I do not plan to change to any other.
- I hope that with this review this hotel will stiil be available for me to enjoy and not fully booked.

Room tip: All rooms are great but especially rooms with view to the city
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Al-Daly2

Dear Al-Daly2, greetings from Ubumwe Grande Hotel !
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and thank you for taking the time to review us.
We are so happy that you enjoyed each and everything that we had to offer to you during your stay. We appreciate that you stay with us always and that your not willing to change that. Thank you very much!

We look forward to always hosting you and to having you all to our selves.

Reviewed February 5, 2019

What we loved: the view, the breeze--a very special setting. Will go again next time I visit Kigali.

What we didn't like: the chef and the manager (in a suit) were solely focused on two tables. One was two women, the other was three men. Every time we would ask our server for something, the chef or the manager would divert her to give something extra to those two tables instead. Every time. I finally asked to speak with the chef, and I nicely told him that I had asked for mustard three times, and every time, he diverted the server. He just laughed, and said he'd send her for mustard now. By the time it came, my sandwich was almost finished. We couldn't figure out what made the other patrons such VIPs. When we asked the server, she just laughed.

I had the tuna sandwich, and my colleague had the beef chops. He ordered it with rice, but it came with chips. Thankfully, the chips were very good.

Anyway, we had a great time. After lunch, we moved to the lounge seating, and enjoyed the afternoon.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
KennM61, General Manager at Ubumwe Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2019

Dear Nathaniel,

Thank you for visiting our Rooftop Rendezvous Bar and Grill and letting us know of your experience. We are concerned that you did not get the attention required as a Patron of the Hotel. We have taken up this matter to correct and I am sure when you come next time you will notice a change.

Thank you and welcome back!

Kenn Munyeki

Reviewed January 31, 2019 via mobile

Beautiful, modern clean hotel with a gracious comfortable lobby so that I could sit for hours in a lovely setting visiting with friends. Many dining options are available at this hotel including arooftop dining area, a large breakfast room and a room service restaurant that will bring food to your room or to the lobby for a meal there. Rooms had a comfortable bed, a great shower and a beautiful overview of Kigali. Location is central and findings taxi to anywhere in the city just requires a step out of the door. Staff were gracious and friendly and helpful and did their best to accommodate
My needs. I would stay here again. They did have a pool but my s heduke was so busy there was no time to use it.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Juda,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us in your last stay in Kigali and for the wonderful review. This is the fuel that drives us to do our best to make sure our guest are happy always.

Kenn G Munyeki