“Watch what you eat....”

Reiz Continental Hotel
Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Be prepared to pay with cash which is fairly common in Nigeria. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. They come in and out of the room frequently to clean, replenish water, turn down service, etc. If you do not want to be disturbed us the door sign. Room is adequate. The bed was rock hard, but this is a local thing. This hotel had more TV channels then any I've had in other hotels while traveling in Africa. Computer provided in the room. If you use it, be prepared for the consequences. We found a key stroke tracker on the PCs in both of our rooms.

Food at the hotel made us sick for days. This was the only place we ate for the duration of our stay so we are pretty certain this is where we picked it up. None of us ate the same food so it wasn't just a 'bad' ingredient and all members of the party are fairly seasoned travelers.

All and all an okay place, but the whole food-borne illness thing totally turned me off. I also did to feel overly safe. That might have had something to do with the 'ladies' working out by the pool or the one that was banging on my door insisting I was in the wrong room until my key magically opened the door. The Hilton (or is it a Hyatt?) is a few miles away. If traveling again I'd probably opt for that instead.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank DillyTravels

Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was looking to avoid the crazy hotel prices most Abuja hotels demand and the Reiz Continental in the central business district is one of the options if you don't want to pay for the Transcorp Hilton. It was easy to reach government buildings for meetings from this location.

I found the reception staff very accommodating with my requests - I arrived at 6 a.m. off a UK flight and was able to check into my room straightaway, without any additional charges for an early arrival. I had one of the small number of standard rooms - which was very ordinary: a bit cramped and dark, and showing some wear and tear. The bathroom was also pretty tiny. The bed was also rock hard. But I like that, and slept well. At around £100 per night bed and breakfast it was not great value compared with hotels in Europe. But for Abuja it was a reasonable price.

The hotel has a good conference centre, which was of interest to me, plus a small business centre (very slow internet the day I was there) an ok basic pool with a bar out the back. The free hotel wifi was not working during my two days stay and I think this was the normal state of affairs. The main bar is a nice place for a drink and the restaurant with its large buffet-style lunch is also ok. I made the mistake of eating a meat pie at the little coffee area near reception. A word of advice: don't do this. Sitting warming all day in the glass cabinet they are a food poisoning disaster waiting to happen....let's say no more.

My biggest vote goes to the staff, and in particular the hotel taxi drivers. They were invariably available onsite, friendly, good to talk to. They took me to my destination, waiting for me if required for some hours, and bringing me back - all very easy.

On balance I've recommended this hotel - but frankly it was touch and go.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank eurobloke17
Reviewed March 7, 2010

On business with one associate and this was a decent place, near our project site, with free internet and breakfast, a large, decent room, properly cleaned and cared for. OK, it's not the Hilton but for a $130 per night negoiated rate, it was decent. The beds are very hard ala Nigerian style, the room has mini-fridge, a tea kettle, complementary coffee / tea service. Sure, the front desk and other staff are not of the quality of a branded hotel, but good enough. I only had breakfast which was acceptable. I did not try the room service or restuarant. Improvements can be made and it's a three star type environment, but I would recommend it for expat temporary duty staff coming for short to medium stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank timhrose
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I stay at Reiz continental hotel with my oyibo wife and kid.she´really liked it there.the rooms were clean and there are safe where you can keep your personal belongings in each room.Though i had two rooms there but the service remained the same,and the personel are very friendly unlike in other hotels i have stayed in before.The pool bar service were very good though sometime the pool bar is so full one wonders where all the people came from.The room service does take time which may cause one to loose apetit,but the foods are nice.My son felt very much at home there because he was treated well there too..the price is not for staters so make sure your pocket is endowned before booking a room there.they have security on each level and the room cleaners come twice in a day...one in the morning and in the evening.There pool bar live band are trying,but they play the same type of music every day which makes it a bit boring....But,the hotel is certainly a place to be...

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank FLair39
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Of 5 hotels I visited in Abuja this was the most average.
At £130 a night this for one of their mid to high range rooms it seems a fairly reasonable price.
The beds are hard which is common in Nigeria (the Hilton being the only one with soft beds that I found).
The TV was OK, a bit fuzzy but ok to watch.
The Bath room was resonable. A little dated could do with a fresh coat of paint etc. but usable,
There was free internet WITH a PC provided although it looked like it had an ileagl copy of windows running on it. It worked and I managed to fire up a new, throwaway, hotmail account and email the wife. Personaly I wouldn't use my normal email account from any Hotel PC as you don't know who might be hacking in to get you details hence the use of a new hotmail account.
Breakfast was provided in the room price and was reasonable.

There were a couple of issues.
My room (412) was at one end of the Hotel aparently directly above the generator or the like that droned all night. I slept through it but others may not so try and get a room with the last 2 digits as high as possible. I went to the other end of the hotel and it was much nicer.

The power went off in the night (not unusual for Abuja) however an emergency light came on and the UPS for the supplied PC let of a series of warning beeps. IT's not good at 3am to have the lights suddenly go on and a beeping start up, that I couldn't sleep through! Power was restored within a miniute the light went out and the beeping stopped but still not nice.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FOAD_Bob
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have tried a few hotels, including famous Sheraton, in Abuja Nigeria but Reiz is far ahead. My great experience started from making phone reservation; one of the numbers I called apparently was with the GM (Okpara?). It was a missed call but he called me back (on a Sunday); he took note of my request and got somebody to call me back for confirmation. By the way, I had called 2 other hotels earlier. Great customer service is rare around here but I got it at Reiz.
I got all the help I needed, had high speed internet and a desktop PC in my room for free! Also got free daily newspapers and daily free drinks (water and juice), and the room rate was quite affordable.
Breakfast was free and decent, with varieties. The bar was ok, suggested to the barman to include "sex on the beach" on the mixed drink list.
Location is CBD, very convenient and close the the Silverbird Cinema
It was all fun getting help from all hotel staff

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AlexJo12
Reviewed December 14, 2007

My family and I have stayed at Reiz Continental two times now each time being 2 months each and I have never stayed in a hotel in Nigeria as good as reiz.My family and I will stay here any time we are in abuja. The hotel is clean and the staff are very helpfull.The rooms are clean and cheap you even get a weekend discount.The food for expats though limited is fine.I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Abuja.

2  Thank TexasOyibo