“error in use of name in one of my postings regarding hilton abuja”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed November 13, 2013

due to lot of stress i missed up a few things and names. CHARLES in the room service and OBILIGWE of the bukka were exceptional , there names stuck to my head. my bad experince was actually in ghana. sorry if this posting have cuased any damage in the persons i have mentioned their names.

Room Tip: rooms closer to the service door are a bit noisy. stay away from the staff service door
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

I wanted to thank you for your recent comments, clarifying your earlier post.

We will surely review your comments as they relate to the concerned team members and overall service delivery.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had stayed in Transcorp before, but my last stay (Oct. 24 to 26, 2013) created an impressive impact. From the front Desk to when I was taken to my Room, the treament was first class. In orientation that customer is king reflected in the behaviour of all the staff. Complaint is responded to swiftly, services are rendered satisfactorily, courtesies are inviting. No doubt, guest, like me, would want to repeat visit always. Transcorp has indeed lifted business of hospitality in Nigeria.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you had a taste of our warm, caring service . We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Well, with about 670 rooms! This is one of the biggest facilities I have ever been to. At N75,000.00 and above, its worth it in my opinion. The rooms are extremely clean. Meals are splendid. The bar is nice, although I couldn't find Hunters Dry. But the lobby has far less seats than I would expect, in fact it almost has none. The swimming pool is good too. The beddings are extremely clean too. This hotel are very good. I hope to enjoy the rest of my days in this facility.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Immanuel Bofomo N
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel.

I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the facilities and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. I am pleased to know we gave you value for money.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I normally only post reviews of my holiday hotels, but this time i decided also to share my experience in Nigeria.

Arrived in Lagos and had to stay one night at the Intercontinental hotel. As per my business partners the new and long awaited addition to Lagos hotels market. Overall architecture is modern but hotel is poorly finished, it seems it is already falling apart. Hotel is located on victoria island which is cbd, but access is a challenge, long traffic jam to enter the hotel. overall i had good service, friendly staff. Food quality was rather average. buffet is uninspiring. i tried the chinese restaurant at night. Not really chinese but portions are large. Overall pricing is not cheap 460 us$ for standard room. Restaurants very expensive 60 us $ for starter and main course including water and a juice.

Second day on my way to Abuja, I was positively surprised by the domestic airport after having gone through hell at the lagos international airport the day before.

Abuja here we go, my local contacts had booked me at the sheraton, I arrived mid day and rooms were quick check in, but then the dissapointment started, i moved through 3 rooms to find one with a well closing door, a not too noisy ac and a functional bathroom. I quickly took a shower and then going for meetings at the hilton lobby. Do not ask why, i did not understand either why my contacts would book me in one hotel and organise meetings at another.

Security is attentive and a scanning van at the entrance screens every vehicle. Lobby is air conditionned and the lounge seems to be the meet and greet place of Abuja. We had lunch at the Bukka restaurant, very bussling restaurant, need to call a bit for service attention but the food variety is definitely worth the price. i paid 7000 naira per head for full buffet including soft drink, not cheap but worth the money when for several days you have not had a great meal. By comparison you pay 6000 naira at the airport lounge sds in Lagos airport for dried bread and staff watching TV.

As i had some spare time in between meetings i asked to see a bedroom to compare with sheraton. Well clearly there is no comparison, Mrs Mary the guest relation employee made quickly two room types available and a bell boy showed me the way, whilst explaining all hotel facilities which was great as you get the side stories for free. Rooms are dated and need some upgrade there is no doubt but all is working well. I thus went back to the sheraton to check out and book myself into the hilton. i went online to check pricing which was 420 us$ when at the reception the receptionist proposed me an uprgade to royal room, which is a double sized room with a very 70 ies style. i really loved it i also got a bottle of wine to go with the room and some nibbles. Rooms was clean although furniture is scratched. Aircon was working well, corridors I agree with other reviews there is less AC but in Sheraton there is no ac at all.

In the evening we met up with local partners, drinks at the lobby lounge, much less noisy then the capital bar ( which is too much of a local flair to me) afterwards we had dinner at Zuma grill, probably the best meal in nigeria for continental cuisine. I had balik salmon starter followed by an unbelievable rib eye beef cut grilled perfectly. They also have a mustard and chili trolley, quite nice although the chili is really hot and for me beyond my tolerance level. Alexander was our waiter and he did impeccable service, all with some good french wines at affordable pricing even our local Nigerian partners were positively surprised by the quality of this meal.

Had a good night sleep, tip for room make up always hang your tag make up room, otherwise they slide your room at the end of the day, my room attendant gave me the tip.

Breakfast buffet has all you can desire but indeed pricey, i stayed 3 nights and from second day went for the pastry corner in the shopping alley, there you pay as you go so 2 croissants and a coffee would set you back 12 us$ which is more reasonable and the croissants are good quality.

Check out was almost smooth, they had to try my credit card on several machines, finally went through, i panicked thinking i would receive multiple debits but after checking with my accounts all was fine.

I would definitely return and stay again, hotels in nigeria are not cheap but better stick to the proven track record. i have seen a lot of comments on wifi internet, glad to confirm it is working at good speed but unfortunately still to be paid.

My tip, indulge yourself to a retro royal room.

Room Tip: Negotiate for upgrade for little more money you can get better then standard rooms, i loved the Roya...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transorp Hilton Abuja and for taking a moment to share your experience.

I am happy to hear you found the security of our hotel, the comfort of our Royal Room and the dining experience at our Zuma Grill to your liking. I am particularly glad that Mary, the Bell Boy and Alexander were helpful! I will be sure to share your comments with them.

We look forward to serving your travel needs at our hotel on your next trip to Abuja.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

It is a five star hotel,so they say but a lot has to be done.The nature of my job makes me travel from one country to another.on the 30th of october I arrived Nigeria from Ghana because I was on a business trip,when it comes to safety transcorp should be trusted for that,whenever I,m in abuja I always make hilton my first port of call cos that has always been the hotel I do lodge,on this very day I booked a room and I was given a room on the 8th floor tho it was expensive but I did not bother because I wasn't the one paying the bills,when I got to my room there was a whole lot of change from when I lodged there last,I placed an order it took eternity for the order to get to me.I had to keep on calling the room service until they sent a guy that brought in the food and drinks but he kept on standing there as if waiting for me to tip him so I asked him what he was waiting for?he said"anything for your boy" I was so embarrassed that I had to walk him out of my room and from all I could gather was his name on his name tag"CHARLES"I wonder how many guests he has been potraying this type of attitude to,such staff bring shame and disgrace to an organisation-Hilton please work on your staff as if that was not enough I went to the bukka for breakfast and I was insulted by a staff in the bukka by name(obiligwe)I had to leave there angrily because my day was about to get spoilt by a rude character ,all I did was to lay a complain to the supervisor on duty.later that same day my colleagues came for a meeting which we had at the pastry corner over a cup of coffee tho when I was being served the coffee spilled on my cloth and she started apologising even to the extent of the manager coming out to plead on her behalf,that woman(I mean the manager of the pastry corner) deserves nothing but the best..with that type of person in the hotel hilton will surely move forward..less I forget if possible the hilton should change the uniforms of their staffs to the hilton standard..the capital bar and the piano lounge are the best dressed in the hotel,if possible make the pastry corner be on trousers to enable fast movement..in all Hilton still remains the best

• Stayed: November 2013

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay here with us and for sharing your views.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be the best. Your comments about team members - Charles, Obiligwe and the Pastry Corner Supervisor - have been shared with all concerned with a view to improving our service delivery.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed two separate stays in June 2013. This was business travel and as someone who travels to Africa very frequently, I have realistic standards of hotels in Africa. I have stayed in the Sheraton Addis Ababa and the Radisson Blu Addis Ababa (many times) as well as the Kampala Serena and Sheraton Kampala, as well as the Serena Nairobi on many occasions, etc. I know what to expect in Africa, and my dissatisfaction at the Transcorp Hilton Abuja is based on African expectations and comparisons.

For reference, my room rate was 57,700 Naira per night (including breakfast) or approximately $358 USD per night.

When I reached the 8th floor, hot, dark, dreary hallways. Very little light. But even more surprisingly, colorful (coral orange of all colors) lacquered walls and doors and mirrored accents around the doors and ceilings. Very dated. And dark and depressing. And again, hot. Clearly hallway air conditioning is considered an unnecessary luxury even with $350+/night room rates. The low lighting made the environment feel both cheap, and unsafe, as a solo female traveler especially.

My room, the same. Though not hot luckily, I at least had AC in my room. The 8th floor hallways and rooms match -- bright coral orange lacquered walls and doors, though with mirrored ceilings, accents, and bathroom doors. After a very long flight, I looked forward to a long shower. The bathroom? Dated. Stained floors (marble or granite, I'm not sure, but with rust stains). Clearly ageing, shabby when you look closely. No ceiling fans (meaning moldy ceilings). Very dated fixtures. Dingy shower curtain. A very high placed tub that was challenging to get into for me, healthy and flexible, I cannot imagine how an older or more physically challenged person could cope. There was not a good way to brace yourself getting out of the tub and I found myself coming very close to falling several times. The towels? Awful. Hard, scratchy, and old. Though to be fair, at least I have no complaints about the water temperature, the hot water lasted and the water pressure was satisfactory.

I was also not pleased by my bed -- two twin beds pushed together to form one large bed. Bizarre. What need does this meet? Twin beds are for 2 guests -- pushing them together makes no sense. Not to mention, the bed was quite hard. And for $350+ per night, a hard, twin bed is disappointing. Though to be fair the pillows and feather duvet were good.

One of my main disappointments was the internet access. Clearly as a business traveler, in-room internet is essential. I travel very frequently for 1-3 weeks at a time. I've never had to pay for internet access (anywhere in Africa). Until Transcorp Hilton Abuja. However, I was truly shocked to find out that there is no wi-fi available in rooms. Only wired internet access. In 2013, this is shocking. Even if the hotel is older. This is 2013. And in Abuja, all Nigerians carry around an iPad and a laptop and a smartphone. This is not a rural area. But what was most offensive? Paying 3,500 Naira per 24 hours for wired internet access (over $20 USD). Per piece of equipment. If I wanted to use my iPad or iPhone in the lobby/restaurants (that do have wi-fi), I would have to pay an additional $20 USD per 24 hours. I find this ridiculous that guests do not have free lobby wi-fi access at the very least. But having no choice, I paid for my laptop to connect to the short little cable at the little desk in my room. With the terribly small, hard, uncomfortable desk chair. Very uncomfortable working conditions for a business traveler. Though to be fair, at least the internet speed was decent. Until my last day, for some reason.

Really overall I was quite surprised by pricing: $37 USD for a buffet breakfast, $4 USD for a small bottle of water, etc. etc. I had the buffet breakfast added into my room rate, but was overall disappointed and would not do this again. The restaurant refuses to provide air conditioning or ceiling fans. I was hot and sticky and I left with my clothes reeking of the scent of fried breakfast foods -- I had to change my clothing before leaving for my meetings. The breakfast selection was large, but overall not very good. The buffet food is not heated, the food simply sits in metal containers getting cold. The pancakes -- cold and hard. The bacon, the same. But first and foremost I really cannot emphasize the importance of air conditioning or at least large ceiling fans. For $37 USD, a comfortable breakfast environment should be expected.

Though there are a total of 6 guest elevators, no more than 3 appear to function at the same time. For a very large hotel. This of course leads to long waits and mad rushes. No truly, people actually rush into the elevator before you can actually exit the elevator.

I should also mention the ants. I found several in my room throughout my stay. But most upsetting, I found one crawling across my room service tray right after it was delivered.

Room service food tended to take a long time and would never arrive hot. My first room service dinner was $40 USD and included a "croque monsieur" that was simply white sandwich bread, crusts cut off, cheap cold cuts (supposedly ham), and some sort of cheese toasted in a panini press, plus no longer hot french fries, a "brownie" sundae that consisted of hard, crumbly chocolate cake and a tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream. None of my later room service meals arrived hot either. But what most upset me was the behavior of one room service delivery attendant. He brought my glass bottle of Pepsi, but no bottle opener. The mini bar fridge does not have glass bottles so there is no opener is in the room either -- usually the food tray comes with one. He promised to come back with an opener and then very indiscreetly waited for a tip. He opened and closed and reopened the check folio several times and looked at me pointedly. He then left and never came back. I had every intention of tipping him once he returned with the opener. But no opener appeared. Though I always, always tip room service (and housekeeping), my understanding is that gratuities are still optional. Not to mention that my tipping is on top of the $5 USD "tray fee" that is not optional at the Transcorp Hilton Abuja for all room service deliveries. I should get a bottle opener, with or without an additional tip I would think.

During my second stay, June 5-7, check-in was a long and challenging process. The front desk staff, at the Hilton Honors check-in desk, was unable to locate a room for me (note: I checked in at a normal check-in time, 4pm, not early, nor late). During this time she attempted to call and call, unsuccessfully, housekeeping staff trying to locate a clean room for me. During this time, she had an argument with another front desk employee, in my full view. It was uncomfortable and unnecessary to hear employees loudly bicker angrily at each other. In the end, she gave up and finally, after 10 minutes of waiting for her to try to call housekeeping, gave me an "upgrade" -- an actual king size bed (not two twins pushed together). The room was the same in every other way though -- though on the 2nd floor meaning no more bright coral lacquer -- instead royal blue lacquer walls and doors.

Though check-out was efficient, I was disappointed about how my late check-out request was handled. I requested it at check-in and was told (by the HHonors check-in desk) it would be a charge of 50% of my room rate. I then went online to check the HHonors website. As I recalled, it listed "late check-out" as a member benefit. I reminded the front desk of this and was told, okay, 2pm check-out (rather than 12 noon) for no charge. But 5pm was not possible without the extra charge. It seems the Hilton staff should know the rules and benefits, I should not have to look them up myself.

All in all, the cost did not match the quality of my stay. Not even close. The hotel is not ageing gracefully. I truly believe when built, the Transcorp Hilton Abuja was probably magnificent. But it is no longer. I wonder how often, and how recently, Hilton headquarters staff has visited Abuja. The hotel carries the Hilton name, but does not represent the Hilton brand well. In this case, I did not feel I stayed at a Hilton. Which is a bit ironic as the locals all refer to it as the "Transcorp," never calling it the "Hilton." But perhaps that is better for the Hilton brand anyway.

Also, I emailed my experience to Hilton corporate and the HHonors program email contact with NO reply. One month later I followed up, still nothing. That was five months ago.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JMP1123
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feedback about your stay at our hotel.

I am disappointed we did not succeed at meeting your expectations and would like to apologize for our failures and any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us.

At the risk of sounding defensive, permit me to reiterate that our hotel was built in the 80s and furnished in the style of that period. We have, however, consistently upgraded the hotel infrastructure and amenities over the past years in order to add value to our Guests' experiences. Plans are already at advanced stages to commence the execution of a major refurbishment project that would literally roll back the years of the hotel when completed.
Furthermore, we have recently completed the upgrade of our internet infrastructure and our Guests now enjoy Wi-Fi internet access in addition to wired access in the comfort of their bedrooms.

Please be assured that your feedback has been thoroughly reviewed with my team and appropriate mechanisms have been put in place to close the service gaps you highlighted. You may email me directly so I can address your concerns in more specific terms.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback; we hope you will give us another try on your next trip to Abuja.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is one of the best hotels in Nigeria, but the best in Abuja, the staff are wonderful and honest;forgot two wrist watches in the room on different stay, the watches were kept for me we'll over two months, the environment completely absorbs you

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at our hotel and for giving a feedback about your experience.

I’m happy to hear that you have always enjoyed your stay with us and that our team members impressed you with their honesty - one of our cores Values is INTEGRITY. I’ll be sure to share your comments with them and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.