“I Didn't Get What I Paid For”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As an American, I am accustomed to high standards. That said, I am a reasonable person who has traveled extensively and I was not expecting a hotel in Nigeria to be anything to write home about because it is an incredibly poor country. However, because this hotel is a Hilton and we paid roughly $525 US per night, I expected better. Following are my observations with a + or - by each point.

1) queue of cars entering premises for security purposes was annoying but necessary +
2) check-in was a pain; they kept running our credit card and telling us it was declined -
3) we called our bank in the US and were told there was not a hold on any of our cards +
4) after 5 different attempts over 2 hours, the card worked; surprise! It was a network problem -
5) I felt that overall the staff was friendly and helpful +
6) a bellboy helped us with our bags and was delightful +
7) when we got to our room (7th floor), it was not made up or cleaned -
8) bellboy took care of everything, contacted front desk, got us a new room (upgraded w/o us needing to ask) and saw us to the new room +
9) nice room, spacious, large bathroom with double sinks, tub, separate shower, and bidet +
10) the room smelled horribly of mildew, even with the air conditioner on full blast -
11) bottom sheet and then a duvet: no sheet in between -
12) duvet was not large enough for the bed and when my husband and I crawled under the cover, it was difficult for both of us to "stay covered" completely; weird -
13) the shower curtain fell several inches ABOVE the tile shower surround and water leaked all over the floor and I do mean all over; my husband and I used all the towels, the bathrobe, and a bath mat to soak up the mess; just add a couple more inches to the curtain!!! -
14) beautiful lobby except for the handbag display case with broken glass; it looked like it had been shot, really; disconcerting in a dangerous area; either fix it fast or remove the broken glass -
15) we ate at the hotel's restaurant with the buffet; very disappointing at over $50 a person -
16) we both came down with either a stomach flu or food poisoning about 36 hours later -
17) Internet was a pain -
18) only employee at the hotel that was a total dud was the business center manager; wouldn't even look at me OR his employees; definitely came across as rude -

In summary, I think this is a case of a hotel overcharging because it can. All the dignitaries stay there (I didn't see any) because it has the veneer of high-end establishments but it could be so much better. At over $500 a night, even Americans are reluctant to stay there but I'm afraid they're the only game in town. Can't somebody build a beautiful, secure hotel in Abouja with a reasonable price tag? I'm sooo disappointed that this property is a Hilton.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your recent say with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to leave a detailed feedback.

Our desire is to deliver the best-in-class experience to all our guests all the time and I am disappointed that we did not succeed at exceeding your expectations during your stay with us.I would like to apologise for all inconveniences you must have experienced whilst staying with us. Please be assured of my best efforts to address all the points you have highlighted as our failures with a view to improving our overall service delivery.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back our hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Transcorp Hilton Abuja

Reviewed October 26, 2013

if you ever need to go to this unsafe place, transcorp hilton is relatively safe and secure. rooms are clean and spacious. limited options for food and beverages but considered to be one of the good places to eat at in town.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Saif A

Thanks for staying at our hotel. We’re glad you enjoyed the comfort of our spacious rooms and had a taste of our warm, caring service.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Generally, the accommodation is tired, the majority of the staff are not really interested in customer service and the prices are very inflated. Wifi is not available in your room, despite for over a month there being a notice in the room to say that it will be available soon!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Dawn S

Thank you for the review of your experience at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am disappointed we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I am pleased to inform you that we have completed the upgrade of our internet infrastructure and our Guests can now enjoy Wi-Fi connection in the comfort of their bedrooms in addition to wired connection.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Hotel is well located and well maintained. Better than what I expected but extremely expensive for what you get compared to other Hilton facilities around the world. Over USD $425/night is quite outrageous.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for leaving a feedback about your experience.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and comfort of our hotel. Your comments about our rates are noted; Whilst our prices are determined largely by the cost of providing service, please be assured that we are committed to making sure that our Guests get value for money spent in our hotel.

Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels.......

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well, this place needs a serious revamp. No idea why on earth people are willing to pay these rates for an establishment that has not been updated in a decade or two. The rooms, while comfortable, are a flash back to the 70s. Lots of mirrors and shining faux wood veneer and panels. No WiFi in large section of the hotel (seriously) - you would think internet access was a basic service to get right nowadays.
Staff are awesome and really try so service is really good.

All in all I am sure there are better options in Abuja at the price of the Hilton.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with WiFi.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that our Team Members were helpful and they delighted you with their service delivery.

Permit me to mention that our hotel was built over 27 years ago and furnished in the style of that period. We have, however, consistently implemented planned refurbishment projects over the years. Plans are at advanced stages with all stakeholders and we will commence a major refurbishment of the hotel in the next few months. I am pleased to inform you that Wi-Fi internet connection is now available in all the bedrooms and public areas of our hotel.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Reception: The hotel has a very welcoming reception and you feel great being there
General Organisation: Apart from some rush and lack of organisation for the large crowd that storms the hotel, it is well organised
Hygiene: Neat..
Food: The food is really terrible. Quite expensive with no taste. its either too vegan or too salty or too much sugar.. its all in the excess
Pool: This is way too crowded. I am exactly not impressed that persons not lodged in the hotel also partake in the poolactivities. It is very unhygenic
Entertainment: Fairly good

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience.

I am happy to hear you found the hospitality of our Team Members and cleanliness of our hotel to to your liking. Your comments about your culinary experiences are noted and I would be sure to address them with our food and beverages team.

Thanks once again, and we look forward to seeing you return soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had a two day stay at the hotel,my room was cleaned but bedsheets not Change,when I informed the housekeeping two gentle men were sent up and to my amazement one of then said to me ooh,ooh, mike na you as if I was not suppose to complain been a former employee. I was furious, and told him I am staying here for free. My guest was also very disappointed. Again I had a bitter experience with check, used my own credit card to settled my bills which after the front desk staff insisted I should provide an identity card that will be photocopied, i became very furious because my credit card has all my details on it. It took the intervention of duty manager Mr, Saakwen before I was allow to go, I almost missed my flight that night back to the UK.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for leaving a feedback about your experience.

I am disappointed that your overall experience with us was not pleasant. I apologise for our failures and would like to assure you that the service gaps you have highlighted have been addressed with a view to improving overall service delivery.

Once again, thank you for your views and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Abuja.