“Even this review costs extra”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Abuja
Leicester
“Even this review costs extra”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Having spent fifteen days at the hotel I’d like to share my thoughts, especially with reference to some of the comments I read here before I went.

Firstly, yes; it’s expensive. Really expensive. Our bill for fifteen days was eye-wateringly enormous. However, if you’re looking for a western hotel in Abuja that’s what you’ve got.

Nothing is included. Not internet (about £14 - £17 per day for LAN access in your room – more if you want wifi in public areas) or breakfast. We made do with a croissant and pineapple juice (delicious) from Pastry Corner for weekday breakfasts – a snip at about £7. Weekend buffet breaky in the Bukka was good, although most of the hot buffet was lukewarm – get the chef to make you a fresh omelette – and the salads / pastries / bread / heaps of other stuff was great. That will set you back about £20. We ended up eating most of our dinners at the pool bar. The curry buffet was good, menu food fine, nice to be out of air conditioning and cheaper than other restaurants. We tried the Bukka in the evening; more buffet and not too good. Oriental was fine although didn’t agree with my stomach and we thought the Zuma Grill way too overpriced. The undoubted “star” value (see what I did there?) is a bottle of Star beer. It’s just £4 for a 600ml bottle and cheaper than the water. Evening meals came in at roughly £30 - £40 per head with a couple of beers. The wine is really expensive although OK quality. As we stayed so long we racked up two complimentary bottles – the only way I would try it as it’s just too much to pay for average wine.

Rooms are fine if dated. The beds are super comfy (as Etienne is keen on reporting). Cable TV is very hit and miss – now you see a channel, now you don’t. LAN internet is mostly OK – I could stream BBC iPlayer and Netflix fine usually. Don’t use the what looks like complimentary water in the room; it costs an arm and a leg. Nip out and get a good supply from a supermarket - it’s two orders of magnitude less expensive. Everything was clean and the aircon kept everything cool; maybe a bit too cool from time to time. Bathrobe was extremely ropy although towels were fine.

Service at the front desk is willing and attentive. Mostly, other staff we came into contact with were as well, although some could definitely do with a bit more customer relationship training. Lots of smiles and “you’re welcome”s as you walk around the floors. The speed of service in bars / restaurants isn’t always at top speed, but just relax into a more laid back mood and you’ll be fine. Don’t be a dick with the serving staff; they are doing the best they can with very long hours and bugger all pay.

People report being pestered by sex workers around the hotel. I didn’t come into contact with any during my stay, but then again I didn’t go to the nightclub or sports bar.

There’s lovely security theatre, both on entering by car where the boot is searched and x-ray / scanner on entering the hotel. Neither of these would in any way stop anyone who wanted to cause mischief. Play along, smile, and make your own arrangements if anything kicks off.

Would I go again? I’d rather not, to be honest, but if I had to, well; the pool’s good – and one thing you don’t have to pay extra for.

Room Tip: Go high! And in C wing there is a secret (not really) elevator that gets you to the pool quickly.
2 Thank Johnnie S
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for the detailed feedback about your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our culinary offers but I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. I apologise for any service gaps and the consequent inconveniences.

Permit me to mention that the pricing of our products and services is very competitive within the market where we operate and is primarily a function of our costs. However, I would like to assure you of our commitment to delivering value for money spent by our guests.

Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Abuja.

Etienne Gailliez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I came for a two night stay to do business , the Hotel is old and dated , however the rooms are large and every thing works - it is clean and the food is good , although the service is slow - my one problem is wi fi - you can have it in the room by hook up - so a tablet does not work in the room - cost per 24/7 - Euro 35 and it is not great - on and off - they could do a lot better - the hotel cost is very expensive for what you get - but it is the only hotel worth a stay - the Sheraton is truly awful - with damp and wall paper hanging off walls. - I guess I will be back as their is nothing else! - with a direct secure link to the airport and great general security.- It is also a place to watch the people of the world come and go !

Room Tip: Go for a high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us and found our hotel facilities and services satisfactory. Your comments about wi-fi internet connection is noted. Please be assured that we have concluded plans to upgrade our internet infrastructure in order to add value to our guests' overall experience.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip in July and I will not be staying again for a long time. Even bearing in mind the scarcity of top quality hotels in Abuja, this place is way overpriced for just an average offering. As other reviewers have said and as I told the staff, for $400 a night minimum, I expect nothing less than perfection, even in Abuja. I have hardly ever stayed here without some drama or other at check in, and this time was no exception. The first room I was taken to had obviously been briefly used by a guest who changed their minds: dressing gown was used, a half drunk bottle of water was on the desk, and an opened tea bag in a cup on the tea tray. The porter tried to suggest that maybe that was the new way the tea tray was set(!). After calling reception, he asked whether I could "manage" the room if they replaced the water and changed the dressing gown. I refused, saying I was not going to "manage" for N64,000 a night. I was then taken back down to reception, and taken up to a second non-smoking room-which stank of cigarettes and booze. Again I was asked if air freshener would solve the problem! After an up and down again in the lifts, the third room was finally satisfactory. It was opposite the service entrance, meaning frequent door openings and closings, but after a long journey I had had it with the drama and stayed put.

I was set to check out that morning to another hotel for my second night, because I wasn't prepared to pay for poor value for money two nights in a row. However one of the front desk staff, when she heard about why I was checking out, went out of her way to remedy the situation, and persuaded me to stay on in an upgraded room. That was the one deeming feature of my stay.

For all that cash, and hugely overpriced meals, there is no wifi in the rooms - in 2013! We're not even talking free here- none at all. Plus the rooms, especially the bathrooms, look more and more dated as the years go by, with very 80s fittings.

The Hilton is undoubtedly a hub in Abuja, but as someone I know says, he uses it as a club to meet people, and then goes to sleep in a more reasonably priced hotel. I will also be doing so from now on.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the service entrance or lifts if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to review your stay.

I am disappointed we failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us. I sincerely apologise for all the service gaps you highlighted and the inconveniences we must have caused you. I would like to assure you of my best efforts to ensure that every guest departs our hotel feeling cared for, valued and respected.

We will be upgrading our internet infrastructure in the coming weeks so that our guests can enjoy Wi-Fi internet connection in the comfort of their rooms.

Thank you once again for your feedback; we look forward to another opportunity of being of service to you on your next trip to Abuja.

Travelling around
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a Hilton. So you will get everything you expect from a Hilton, (clean, confort, and OK service), but nothing more. Service is basically just correct, rooms are clean, and nothing special to be mentionend. But the price applyed is way overrated, we got charged 500$ per night for each sibngle basic room. No wifi, anything extra is overcharged. For 200$ per night it would have been decent. At this rate, it is a scam.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review of your recent with stay with us. We value your feedback as it goes a long way to helping us in the delivery of our brand promise.

Your comments about our prices are noted. Permit me to mention that our pricing is a function of costs and very competitive in our market. I would like to assure you that we are committed to making sure that our guests get value for money spent in our hotel.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Internet service (especially in the room) is poor and extremely costly in the age where internet service is complimentary with accommodation or at a little price. The connection is too slow for comfort, hadly got anything done.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with our internet service during your stay with us; I apologise for all inconveniences you might have experienced. Please be assured that we are at the final stages of upgrading our internet infrastructure. I am positive that the upgrade, when completed, would impact positively on our guests experience.

Once again, thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My experience in this hotel over the years have been great. Excellent environment, staff and service. I sure recommend them to anyone visiting Abuja. Transcorp Hilton is about the best and biggest hotel in the city of Abuja. Their service and standard over the years have been consistent in improvement. In comparison to other 5 star hotels all around the globe I have been priviledged to stay in, they are not lacking - this has been a plus for them.

1 Thank Oti N
I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel and for the kind comments about your experience!

We are so glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Abuja, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The focus of this survey in on,the warmness of the hotel staff and the serene environments.Also, the rates offered was quite good. The varieties of menu in various is acknowledged .what is of importance is the cleaning of the rooms, locations of bars including lounge areas. There is need to introduced more Africans menu and constant update of facilities.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and you were able to experience the light and warmth of hospitality of our team members.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.