“Expensive, poor internet connectivity --and wrong billing, despite reminders!”

Transcorp Hilton Abuja
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed January 31, 2013

May be among the best in Abuja, but given the quality of rooms, the service and the poor internet connectivity, it is far too expensive compared to similar hotels worldwide. Plus, they tacked on wrong minibar charges to my room bill, despite the fact that I never used the minibar and I had pointed this out to them when I previewed the bill.

Room Tip: Check your bill --and double check again!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank M S
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Transcorp Hilton Abuja and for taking the time to review your experience.

I am disappointed that we did not succeed in delivering a wow experience to you during your stay and do apologise for any inconveniences you might have experienced, especially with the mini bar billing.

Please feel free to contact me directly so I address your specific concerns with a view to improving our service delivery.

Thank you once again for your views and I do hope you will give us another opportunity of being of service to you.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Transcorp hilton is one of the best Hiltons. The rooms are massive, room service is ok. It's in a very nice and safe part of Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria. The downside is, it's a very very busy hotel, the traffic can be very irritating and they could do with more parking lots closer to the hotel, rather than make people park their cars far off and walk all the way in heels, that is if you are not chauffeur driven.

Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction.

Once again thank you for valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Transcorp Hilton is a huge property that clearly plays an important role in the political and administrative life of the Capital of Nigeria. The lobby is always buzzing with activity. The service is friendly and fairly good, but there is a bit of bureaucratic red tape. The rooms are dated but adequate and the services are OK. I understand that several hotel chains are building new properties in Abuja so the Hilton had better pull its socks up to keep up with them. The prices are absurdly high not only for rooms but also for restaurants. Food quality is good, but again absurdly high prices, I guess because of the captive market. Once there is competition, Hilton will have to upgrade or join the ranks of the local Sheraton which is seriously degraded.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor. The nightlife can be very noisy if you are on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel and for taking the time to leave a review.

I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality. Please be assured that we are committed to seeking newer and better ways to add value to our guests' experience.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Transcorp Hilton and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Behemoth hotel, that is in dire need of an upgrade. I felt like I'd stepped back in time to the 80's. Rooms are average sized, with a decent view. I managed to check out one of the suites, which was massive.

The hotel is very expensive for what you get. Disappointing that there is no free wifi considering the exorbitant room cost. At least they could provide free wifi in the lobby.

There is a huge and lively pool area, with a nice family vibe. I stayed on the executive floor which has the bonus of free food & drinks from the bar. Service was fairly good, particularly at the executive lounge. The food at the executive lounge was ok with a decent variety of local dishes. The hotel has good security, which is a major concern in Abuja.

My main gripe is that there seemed to be many prostitutes lurking around the hotel bars. As a female travelling alone, this made me feel very uncomfortable. I met another solo female guest who said she had been harrassed more than once at the hotel bars by men assuming that she was a prostitute.

We also used the conference facilities which were disappointing. The conferencing seemed rather disorganised and there were problems with the photo-copier and printers.

All in all an average stay at an expensive price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MochaChoca
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

Our hotel was actually opened over 25 years ago and furnished in the style of that period. We have, however, implemented phased refurbishment programs over these past years. We are currently reviewing a Masterplan for refurbishment with a view to implemeting the next phase of refurbishment.

Your comments about your experience with our conference facilities are noted. Please be assured that I have addressed your disappointment with those concerned with a view to improving overall service delivery.

I am glad though that you enjoyed the security of our hotel, the ambiance of our pool area and the Executive Floor and Lounge experiences.

Once again, thank you for your valuable views. We look forward to welcoming you back to Abuja and Transcorp Hilton soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Transcorp Hilton Abuja is a classy hotel and the best hotel in Nigeria!! Albeit it's very expensive, you pay for exceptional service, class, security, and peace of mind!! As a Diamond member of Hilton and a frequent traveler primarily based in the US, I've slept in and occassionally lived in many HIlton and non-hilton hotels for weeks and months at any given time. I can emphatically state that Transcorp Hilton, Abuja ranks high in my list of favorite hotels.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no boring moment when I'm at Transcorp, there are several things to do ranging from (a) lounging at the 10th floor (only if you are a Diamond member or paying for executive floor rooms); (b) cozzying by the swimming pool side; (c) lounging at any of the three remarkable bars at the lobby area; (d) dining at several multiple restaurants on site; (e) visiting the Night club located in the basement area; (f) working out in the world class gymnasium or playing tennis at the back of the hotel, among many other available activities.
The hotel offers much more for diamond members or individuals paying for executive floor rooms. You get to enjoy remarkable buffet breakfast, any drink of your choice for 24hrs, snacks/appetizers for lunch, and buffet dinner! The network, connection, and caliber of ambitious and successful individuals you can encounter at this hotel any moment makes the price you pay for the hotel worth it.

I'm a frequent traveler to Nigeria for official and personal reasons and always look forward to staying at Transcorp while in Abuja. My wife is also fond of Transcorp Hilton, Abuja and share the same perspective that it's an exceptional hotel!
I can't complete this review without acknowledging the wonderful customer service consistently offered by the staff. They go above and beyond to ensure that guests have a pleasant stay and get their money's worth. My favorites there are Stanley on the 10th floor and other outstanding team members of the 10th floor executive lounge. I can't also forget Gabriel on the first floor and the other wonderful staff down there.

Cheers
Olusegun Olabode

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are more desirable to most people. Just like any international hotel chai...
Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the kind comments about your recent stay with us at the Transcorp Hilton Abuja.

I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and the service delivery from our team members. I will especially let Stanley and Gabriel know that they helped you have a great stay with us.

All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I did not stay at the Hilton, but visited to dine at the Fulani Pool Bar. My comments can therefore only be seen in the context of the restaurant.

The staff at the bar, but also at the restaurant were polite, friendly and helpful. I certainly felt welcome, and taken care of.

I chose food from the buffet which had a good choice of fish and meat to be barbecued for you, as well as salads and a selection of vegetables. The food was fresh and tasty.

All in all I would happily eat there again. The prices were on the high side, but given the fact the restaurant had warmth and atmosphere, I was happy to pay out!

The restaurant did get busy, so I would suggest either making a reservation, or getting there before 8pm to be sure of a table.

I did not notice any mosquitos flying around, even after dark.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

I would like to thank you for choosing our Fulani Pool Bar and for finding time to leave a feedback about your experience.

I am pleased to know that you had an enjoyable experience at our Fulani Pool Bar and I will let the team know that their 'Blue Energy' helped you have a great meal with us.

If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know.

Thanks again for choosing the Transcorp Hilton and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a comfortable, behemoth hotel, with little character. But clean, spacious rooms. Hot showers, great water pressure. Property could use a full, coherent renovation. Prices are very high, on the level of what you'd find in New York or London, at a Four Seasons, but without the five-star atmosphere, furnishings, quality. Staff are friendly, courteous.

• Stayed: December 2012
SholaAbuja, Public Relations Manager at Transcorp Hilton Abuja, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am happy to hear you found the cleanliness of our spacious rooms, the friedliness of our courteous team and the overall comfort of our hotel to your liking.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.