“Adequate, not exceptional”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Overall our stay was ok and would stay again - the room was clean and although my bathroom lights gave up halfway through my stay, crucially the a/c never stopped and there was constant replenishment of mineral water. Breakfast and the poolside bar both served good food. Staff were willing to help nearly all the time, although you do get the feeling they're somewhat up against it given the age of the building, and general lack of maintenance.

We found key-cards to be a particular problem - lots of reaching the room and finding them to be broken, trekking downstairs, switching keys and then going back up to find the new one was similarly useless. Also although the iron was quickly delivered to my room, the porter neglected to mention it was only free for an hour, and having passed it to a colleague the next day reception were sensible enough not try and charge us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abuja Hotel

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Leaking rooms, untrained staff and very poor overall upkeep greets you at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. I stayed there 4 nights and had a leaking AC every day. One evening I was greeted in my room with a bucket right at the entrance...their answer to the leaking AC. The lights were off so I went crashing into the bucket. Complaints had no impact. The Manager did not even bother to contact me. At the spa, the one hour massage ended in 40 minutes. The steam was not working and the showers were filthy

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have just got back from a 2 week stay at this hotel. The hotel at present is going through a complete make over, about time, everywhere is getting a lick of paint and the rooms are getting floor tiles instead of carpets - slow process but getting there.

As a Platinum member I know I get some extra things but overall I did not hear that many complaints from other guests so the hotel must be on the right path in correcting it's poor ratings from the past.

The Obudu Grill staff are great and Margaret Emmanuel from the guest relations was exceptional, was always willing to follow up on any point raised which made my stay even better - thanks Margaret.

I hope that when I visit the hotel again it has finished it's refurbishment and all the rooms are nice, clean and pleasant to stay in.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the pool side, much quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave B
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Please do contact me when you are at Sheraton Abuja next.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Old hotel in desperate need of renovation. Its reception looks good but the rooms smell of pesticides and the room door looks it was broken into several time. Its only papillon restaurant does not smell appetising at all. Therefore I rate as poor too expensive for the value you getting.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

I assure we are working very hard and resolving the issues mentioned and over the next 18 months, dramatic changes will happen. My most humble apologies for, once again, failing to meet your expectations.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next and I will personally take care of your stay and ensure you have a great time with us.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed in room 523 the services was excellent I was welcome by a guest relations office ROSE ONYENWEUZO,she offered me a professional service was very friendly,we extended our stay to three night in order to alwasy see her simile,face and williness to solve problem. I recomend the front desk manager Rita Ezeani who has made our check in easily and faster. I recomend the managenent for he renovation in the hotel. I recomend Sheraton Abuja Hotel for all travellers who want proffesional service in hospitality. .

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jale A
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

BIG thank you for taking the time to write the review. It truly means so much to all of us. It is not often that people take the time to write when they had great experiences. I will personal congratulate the staff mentioned.

Please do contact me when you are at Sheraton Abuja next.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The reasons for not staying here are sooo many! Overall the hotel is very poorly maintained, the rooms are dirty (mold in the showers, dirty carpet) and many things in the rooms are falling apart. The door on my room did not lock and reception gave me an extremely hard time when I requested to switch rooms. I was woken up at 6 am to hammering and construction being done in the room above me. When I called to report that the food I ordered from room service was not correct, they said they wouldn't replace it, but offered to charge me more money to get the food I had actually ordered... and the list of complaints goes on and on. On top of everything, it is extremely expensive...do not stay here, I can't believe this place is a Sheraton hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

My sincere apologies for failing to meet you expectations. The Hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address the issues mentioned. I must also apologize that we left you with such a poor impression. We are working very hard on staff training and your feedback is critical to the process. Please do let me know when you traveling to Abuja next. I do hope you will give me the opportunity to apologize in person and to show you true Nigerian Hospitality.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

When I book a Sheraton, I expect an hotel with a 5 star standard and feeling. The Sheraton Abuja is very far away from this standard. The hotel is down to the maximum, a total disaster! Rooms are ugly, most of the furnitures are broken, bathroom is ugly and dirty, linens where dirty. Restaurants are not to standards, my food at the pool restaurant was served cold. And for this, they charge over 300€ per night!!! I recommend everybody: go to the Hilton. I visited it, and that is a 5 star hotel. My next stay will be in the Hilton.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013