“Worst hotel, do not stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Abuja
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Worst hotel, do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The reasons for not staying here are sooo many! Overall the hotel is very poorly maintained, the rooms are dirty (mold in the showers, dirty carpet) and many things in the rooms are falling apart. The door on my room did not lock and reception gave me an extremely hard time when I requested to switch rooms. I was woken up at 6 am to hammering and construction being done in the room above me. When I called to report that the food I ordered from room service was not correct, they said they wouldn't replace it, but offered to charge me more money to get the food I had actually ordered... and the list of complaints goes on and on. On top of everything, it is extremely expensive...do not stay here, I can't believe this place is a Sheraton hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
My sincere apologies for failing to meet you expectations. The Hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address the issues mentioned. I must also apologize that we left you with such a poor impression. We are working very hard on staff training and your feedback is critical to the process. Please do let me know when you traveling to Abuja next. I do hope you will give me the opportunity to apologize in person and to show you true Nigerian Hospitality.

Boris Bornman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

When I book a Sheraton, I expect an hotel with a 5 star standard and feeling. The Sheraton Abuja is very far away from this standard. The hotel is down to the maximum, a total disaster! Rooms are ugly, most of the furnitures are broken, bathroom is ugly and dirty, linens where dirty. Restaurants are not to standards, my food at the pool restaurant was served cold. And for this, they charge over 300€ per night!!! I recommend everybody: go to the Hilton. I visited it, and that is a 5 star hotel. My next stay will be in the Hilton.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Boris Bornman

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Darwin, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I really couldn't reccomend this place. Overpriced and under equipped. The rooms are in severe need of an update. The worst of it for me was the staff attitude. They acted like everything was to hard and I'm not a difficult guest. Location is okay in the middle of town but don't expect any eating options outside the hotel. I've found Sheratons elsewhere usually are in need of an update but the bad staff attitude at this place was really what put me off.

Room Tip: Stay in the Hilton down the road
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boris6, Owner at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
My sincere apologies for failing to meet you expectations. The Hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address the issues mentioned. I must also apologize that we left you with an impression of poor staff attitude. We are working very hard on staff training and your feedback is critical to the process. Please do let me know when you traveling to Abuja next. I do hope you will give me the opportunity to apologize in person and to show you true Nigerian Hospitality.

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have the dubious honor of naming Hotel Sheraton Abuja as the worst value for money proposition anywhere in the world. The rooms are barely habitable, at best. The price which I paid - above USD 500 per night - was in no way justified, other than the fact that the other branded hotel in town (The Hilton) charges even more. The room door had been rammed and was quite damaged, the tables in the room were covered with countless wet glass marks and were sticky in parts. The roof in the corridor in front of my room on the 5th floor was leaking and instead of repairing it - the management decided that they needed to advise the residents regarding the wet floor, which they duly did by placing a wet floor sign which was there for the 3 days that I stayed at this hotel. The food was really bad and I mean bad. I am used to travelling in the heart of Africa and other not so developed regions of the world but this hotel takes the cake in providing inedible and costly food, including USD 13 for a glass of orange juice. This hotel takes the crown for the worst value for money place I have ever stayed anywhere, comfortably overtaking Hilton Nairobi as the worst hotel in the world per dollar spent.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be bad. They say that they have/are renovating some rooms, please ask them to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013

We have addressed the 5th floor leakage, unfortunately it occurred during a storm we had and the items needed to resolve it had to be imported. I do acknowledge our failures, but wish to assure you that we are working very hard to meet expectations. Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Once again my most humble apologies for out failure.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I can't give this hotel any stars. It reminds me of a men's prison or housing in the projects. Horrible grotty old bathroom with one weak light. I didn't have any hot water.The bed does not use duvets - instead horrible old dirty blankets. The curtains were filthy. The sliding doors to the balcony are broken and barely shut.. It is tired very dated, shabby, very over priced and the staff act as though they haven't received any form of training whatsoever. The rooms are a disgrace for the prices charged and everything falls way below the standard of an upscale hotel. The only plus point is that it has decent free wifi. The security is terrible. The prices are way too high for what the hotel has to offer. Please don't waste your money and stay here - it is a complete disgrace to Sheraton. If I were Sheraton, I would be embarrassed to have something so horrible carrying my name.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to share your observations, I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. I know we do have challenges but I assure you we are working very hard at addressing it. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Once again my most humble apologies for out failure.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This most definitely falls way, way, way below the Sheraton standard. It is tired very dated, shabby, very over priced and the staff act as though and probably haven't received any form of of oral training whatsoever. They were surly and at one point obstinate to the point of being rude. The rooms are a disgrace for the prices charged and everything seems to fall way below the standard set by the porters, front staff and the lobby.

From the ground up it gets worse!!!

If your stay is about comfort Pay a bit extra and stay at the Hilton. If it's purely functional I.e. for business then this will do!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you really have to. It is very safe.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I highly appreciate your observations. It is helpful and will assist us to remedy our failures. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment in the near future, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Apologies cannot make up for our failures, I assure you however that we are working hard and changing the full experience. Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. I humbly apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next, I will personally take care of you visit and ensure you experience true Nigerian hospitality.

Dunblane, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I have travelled to Nigeria for business for over 15 years and have stayed in this hotel as an Starwood member 3 times this year - paying well over £245 per night. This will be the last. They keep talking about ongoing upgrades - believe me nothing is happening and one of the wings has been shut down for over a year. As usual at checkin no sign of my pre-paid booking and over an hour to wait as many people try to trace the booking. Finally given a so called preferred room on the 7th floor. They say it has been refurbished - it hasn't. It has a new cheap laminate floor and a samsung plasma. The rest is from the 1980's. Horrible grotty old bathroom with one weak light. The bed does not use duvets - instead horrible old dirty blankets. The skirting board is falling off the walls and ants were all over my room ad bed both nights. The sliding doors to the balcony are broken and barely shut. No room service menu in the room and the food at the old shabby pool bar is disgusting.

The only plus point is that it has decent free wifi.

Lastly the security is terrible.

Please don't waste your money and stay here - it is a complete disgrace to Sheraton, even by Nigerian standards. Book into the Hilton or Protea.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned. Tower 3 has been closed as the refurb will commence in this area.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. Apologies cannot make up for our failures, I assure you however that we are working hard and changing the full experience. Please do accept my most humble apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next, I will personally take care of you visit and ensure you experience true Nigerian hospitality.