“Great staff, shame about the rooms”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Scotland
“Great staff, shame about the rooms”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is long overdue some TLC. The accommodation is very tired and, in places, dilapidated. The room I stayed in had dated and broken furniture, thread bear and stained carpets, no safe, inoperable power points, nicotine coloured paint, and intermittent noisy air conditioning. That said, it was kept clean by the room attendant, and the linen and towels were changed on a regular basis. The bed was clean and comfortable, the shower hot, and the fridge cold - so I could almost live with the rest. Despite the condition of some of the rooms, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and there are areas of the hotel that are of a reasonable standard, including the lobby, restaurants, and gym. Breakfast was very good, with a wide choice of food, albeit very overpriced (about £20 a head, irrespective of what you eat). The restaurants are all well maintained, with pleasant decor, and a good choice and quality of food, but again very overpriced. Wine was also ridiculously expensive (£30+ for what I would describe as a £5.99 quaffing plonk).
The hotel has a unsupervised outdoor pool, which is of an acceptable standard but needs some landscape repairs, and a gym which is reasonably well equipped and has some modern fitness equipment.
I have experienced far worse hotels in my travels around Africa, but hotel chains, and the African service industry, need to wake up to the fact that business travellers deserve far better than this. Overall, this hotel is not 'Sheraton' standard and really does need some major investment. The staff, in the main, provided very good service, but this does not detract from the fact that this hotel charges premium prices for sub-standard accommodation in the knowledge that they have guaranteed business customers. The litmus test is - would I bring my family here? No.

Room Tip: Stipulate on arrival that you want a safe, a refurbished room, and 'non-smoking'. No guaran...
1 Thank Singbe
AyoAnj, Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much Singbe for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. Your opinion is highly valued and we are grateful that you could share it with us.

Our sincere apologies that the room you stayed in was not comfortable enough. To that, It might interest you to know that the hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment. This will address all the issues you mentioned. We also appreciate you did point out that the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We hope to have the honour of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Abuja.

Sincerely
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Lagos
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I came from Lagos and my company booked me to stay a night at Sheraton, first the lady at the front desk (Blessing by name) was so rude!! I stayed in 7th floor, everything in the room was old and faded. I was so disappointed, I am a Nigerian and I expected more from Sheraton.
Even the food was just average... I doubt if I will use Sheraton again especially because of the way the Blessing lady attended to me..

Layi +2348052603665

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AyoAnj, Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We are grateful that you could take out time to write a review of your stay at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. Your opinion is highly valued and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We would like to assure you that your next stay would be a memorable one. The hotel is also scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues you mentioned.

I would love to have the opportunity of meeting with you when next you come to our Hotel. We hope to see you back soon and wish you all the best.

Resident Manager

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Manager apologised and said that a huge multi million dollar refit was agreed and was already starting. However that won't stop the staff lying about the condition of the rooms.."I want a room with a safe please?" "Of course, this room has a safe Madam?"...'Well it must be invisible'. Food very poor, Swimming pool could be cleaner. All very very run down. My first room all the furniture was broken - the sliding wardrobe doors, didn't, they jsut fell on you as did the double glazed windows. The bed was rickety, stains on the carpet and coverlets, cracked bathroom fittings. And this was apparently a 'superior room'. When I came back and asked for a change of room...it was all very difficult, and asking for non smoking was impossible. This is supposed to be a Sheraton for goodness sake with 5 star prices to match. Don't go there - ever.

Room Tip: There is a noisy road side and a quiet side. the problem is that when you ask for the quiet side th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. Your opinion is highly valued and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. The hotel (as you may already know), is scheduled for a full refurbishment and this will address all the issues you mentioned.

Lagos
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at the this hotel thats supposed to be either 4 or 5 star but please don't expect better than a European 2 star.
I wander what the regular rooms will be like, as I stayed in room 813 on the Preferred guest "Club" floor, what a mess!
There were no pillow cases on the pillow, everything was dated and had a slight smell, it was dirt floors, horrible, horrible bathroom.
Since I paid for an all inclusive, I expected to see a healthy breakfast but alas! I was disappointed with limp vegetables and croissants as hard as scones.
Sheraton need to remove their brand name from that hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We are grateful that you could take out time to write a review of your stay at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. Your opinion is highly valued and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is also scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Sheraton Abuja has a "Club" -level, where rooms are nice and include access to a special lobby. Taking care of practicalities like paying with a credit card or getting your invoices printed seem to be complicated. The prices are ridiculous. The cheapest Club -level room costs some 500 euros. What you get with that is a standard room. However, everything works, you get hot water and breakfast etc. And the poolside bar is nice in the evenings. But it is clear that all these basic services are highly overpriced.

Room Tip: Club level rooms. Try to negotiate a better price.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated, please do contact me when you are in Abuja next. Note, pricing is on the high side but then again most items are imported.

Bangor, N. Ireland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The staff at this hotel especially Margaret, customer relations, Hannah in the lobby bar and staff at the Boathouse went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, thankfully a much needed refurbishment of the non club rooms is ongoing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Magret was thrilled with your comments, thank you. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Kind regards,

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed June 17, 2013

So I stayed here over a year ago for a business trip and it was terrible. Unfortunately my company gets some kind of deal here so I had to stay here again.
I came here knowing what to expect but hoping they would have renovated and overhauled some thng. Negative!!
Carpets are still coming off, showers/tubs look 200yrs old, wood is peeling off doors,ceiling is peeling too. general structure looks solid but not properly mainting just painted to look a bit better. Furniture, upholstery and everythng else is so old I feel like they ooze germs.
Sharaton, this is a big disgrace to your standards, SPG same thng.
The swimming pools do not look inviting at all cos the floor tiles or watever r so old n discouloured.
Staff are quite friendly but restaurant food taste can be improved. Variety is pretty good tho.
Not worth the money AT ALL!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank ShallyWaly

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Kind regards,