“Romance package”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had to go to Abuja again for 3 nights and contemplated a lot where to stay. I spare you the decision process; I booked the Sheraton again, despite having complains when I stayed there end of January. The best deal was a 'romance package' which includes Includes daily breakfast, Chocolates or fruit and sparkling wine at arrival.
Both, the general manager and his deputy wrote me an apologetic email after my last stay and I informed them that I was coming again. Check in was relatively painless and I was upgraded to a club room on the 8th floor. I'm not quite sure what the difference between a club room and a normal room is, it is not size nor standard. It looked like any of the rooms I previously stayed in, except for the fruits, the sparkling wine and the welcome note from the deputy manager.

The good thing is that the hotel is under renovation, which is desperately needed; the bad thing is that the Elephant bar was converted into a meeting room (?) with lots of glass. There is no possibility anymore to have a drink inside (apart from the small bar on the way to the elevator, which I find depressing as the ceiling is very low) or outside (apart from the pool restaurant, far away and not very frequented). I liked the Elephant bar, it was always lively and entertaining to discuss with the fellow guests.

Room Tip: See if you can get one of the newly renovated rooms, they should be ready any time soon.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. As before, it is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. With regards to the Elephant Bar, we will shortly re-open a stunning club, which I am sure will liven up things.

My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja again, in the not too distant future. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abuja Hotel

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We checked into 2 rooms at the Sheraton Abuja knowing the hotel was in the process of getting a refurbishment. We were upgrade to rooms on the 7th floor that were refreshed with new flooring, TV and a very comfortable bed. Because we were staying 26 nights there were some minor issues we wanted fixed. Poor cable signal on some of the channels, difficult opening patio door, one fridge wasn’t cooling properly and I had difficulty connecting to the Internet. Not all the issues had been resolved so on day 8 I sent a email to the hotel GM. Within 20 minutes of sending the email I had 5 managers / staff at my door. Within 1-2 hours the items were repaired including new rollers on the patio door. As a follow up the GM schedule a meeting to discuss our stay and how he could provide a remedy. Over all the staff are friendly and some went the extra mile. Kudos the supervisor at the pool bar / restaurant introduced herself on our first visit and every time after that greeted us by our names. Luigis pick your own pasta was excellent. Based on the GM’s prompt response I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had rooms 711 & 713
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. It was a real pleasure meeting you, please do stay in touch. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel is located very centrally in Abuja and is quite secure. The hotel has vast open spaces which is quite rare in such a central area in a capital city. The hotel building is quite old and the rooms though spacious are not yet renovated. I had a old boxy TV in my room (4th Floor), but I did have a spacious balcony and a good view. The service is slow at times, but gets there eventually. Some prodding may be required. The check in seems to be in disarray, as they do not seem to have updated records of bookings, payments etc. You need to carry all payment receipts along at all times - especially while checking in/out. The gym is nice, swimming pool is alright too. The buffet breakfast is good and so is the staff at their restaurant. The Tandoor section provides decent Indian food, but the menu does not change at all from lunch to dinner to lunch the next day. May be some variety can be introduced. Other dining options include the pool side bar and the Italian restaurant but I did not try these.

Overall, a decent experience, though modernization of the rooms is needed. Hotels in Nigeria are expensive. If budget is no consideration, try the Hilton (Transcorp) which is pricier. I found even the Sheraton Abuja quite expensive, but I think that is the way it is in Abuja.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors (6th and above) are better - see if you can get a room on the Club floors...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Very dated rooms and really this hotel doesn't live up to Sheraton standards. It looks like there has been no investment since the hotel was built. However the rooms are large and there is free wifi. The food wasn't bad at all and the staff are very friendly.

The pool was dated but the gym not bad.

As I said it's a real mixed bag but I may return!!!

Room Tip: High floor rooms, not road side.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Check in was horror. I had a confirmed booking and got to this hotel at about 8pm after a tough day at work. The first annoyance was being asked to hold on as there were no clean rooms. After about 30 minutes, the front desk lady called me over to say that I had no confirmed booking and directed me to Reservations. Why was I not told this earlier.

Anyhow, I headed to Reservations and they acknowledged that I had a confirmed booking and escorted me back to the front desk. A second round of waiting started while the team hobbled around one computer. It took another 30+ minutes before a room was assigned to me. If this is the experience of someone on Sheraton's Special Guest Program (SPG), I wonder what ordinary customers experience. This is hardly an expectation from any hotel that is above 3-star - not to talk about 5-star.

I have had other not too savoury experiences in this same Sheraton hotel - not for this present review, and the only reason I will stay here again is that all the hotels in Abuja are either closed down or fully booked.

(The hotel manager did send me an email apology though, and I thought that was a nice thing to do)

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel Sheraton in Abuja, Nigeria is centrally located with huge open area. Normally hotels do have so much open area,.

Very impressive outside of the hotel. However the inside is not very well maintained. Its like a very old hotels with huge rooms and balcony.

Services are very slow and you have to push the staff to get them moving. Cleaniness in bathrooms are not there. You have to take extra care and call housekeeping person to get it right.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms facing the swimming pool. It gives a very good view of the city as well as teh hote...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I did a review late last year on the Hotel and i gave them a 2 star.

Since then, i have consistently seen improvements in the facilities, rooms and above all and much more courteous and happy staff.

There is even stories flying around amongst the Taxi drivers about a new Manager causing a change in the Hotel. This is applaudable and encouraging.

I will recommend it now even though there is still room for improvements

Room Tip: Upper floors definitely. Most of them have been upgraded and you also get a good city view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

My sincere apologies for our failure to still meet your expectations, we are working hard at it and will get there. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.