“Sheraton ???”

Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Frankfurt, Germany
“Sheraton ???”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

How this hotel still bears the Sheraton brand is beyond explanation! The hotel is in poor condition - paint peeling off the walls, air conditioning broken in the two rooms I had, filthy bathroom and shower. The lobby is the nicest thing about the hotel. Beyond this area, it all starts to go south real quick. I had the opportunity, more like an experience, to be present when the hotel was cleaning my room. It smelled like they cleaned the floor with turpentine! I had to air out my room for almost 30 minutes to get rid of the odor, which brought on a nasty headache for me. The bathroom is in poor condition (both rooms), I had ants in the second room, and the balcony sliding doors were almost impossible to get open/closed. I will not stay here again and recommend you look elsewhere, like the Hilton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Boris Bornman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My stay in the sheraton made me feel very welcome by Rose Onyenweuzo. She was very friendly and polite and pleasure to meet. She makes yours stay worth while and gives you special treatmeant.
I defiently recommend a stay at the Sheraton hotel Abuja.

• Stayed March 2013
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013

Your constructive review means a lot to us, thank you. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Abuja
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A refreshing experience, enjoyed every bit of my stay, I had an event at the banquet hall and afterwards lodged in the hotel, the service was cordial and very professional, I had to extend my stay at the hotel for another day just to soak in all the coziness of my room and the hotel environment. If you plan to stay at a five star in Abuja, then I will recommend the Sheraton to you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have visited Sheraton in the good old days, and that was when they were about the best hotel in Nigeria.
Going back there was a totally different experience, I have been to this hotel about 3 times and it never crossed my mind to do a review on them. Now this is the time.
Sheraton hotel Abuja reception is too blank, full of many people without business in the hotel. They crowd in on you from the parking lot and honestly, its a very embarassing place to be.
The food is ok, i must say. The hotel seems to hold one big event after another so the activity level there is very high, infact its always a carnival in sheraton. A carnival of human beings.

Not to forget, since the hotel is soft on security and manner of people that come in, you can bet all manner of vices will also happen here. My phone was stolen in this hotel at the Ladi Kwali Hall.

If you want to go to shearton, thats fine, But don't have high expectations plssss

Room Tip: A room facing the pool is of a better view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As per other reviewers, not as you would expect for the Sheraton chain of Hotels. Even being an SPG member, does not hold water here, like the faucets when turned on spits lots of air and takes a long time before you get your water temperature of preference to come through in a solid stream, if that even happens at all. Breakfast was ok, make sure you order your eggs a few days in advance, then and only then you may receive them but don't expect them as you ordered. Lost in translation is the only thing i can rack it up to. Rooms are so tired, i think my father at 75 is more spritely and fresh in appearance. And yes AC needs a call to maintenance to get their ladder and juggle around in the box above the door to get something cool coming out. Overall this is the third Hotel i have been in Abuja, and would rate it against its value as probably better in its class in Abuja. The Hilton is very nice, but be prepared to pay much much more. And yes i think there is limited choices in this price range in Abuja. I would stay here again, as the other Hotel i stayed at at this price range was much worse than Sheraton in most aspects.

1 Thank Andrew T
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

When they took me to my room after walking for what seemed a very long time along decrepit and unlit corridors I could not believe what I saw: the room had four light bulbs missing, two outlets that did not work, ripped carpeting, dirty bathroom and everything in the room looked like it was 50 years old and very worn out. I thought "how can the name Sheraton be associated with this horrible set up"? It took four hours to get new light bulbs put in and one outlet functioning so that I could at least plug in my computer. The next day my office complained and after many phone calls they switched me to a nicer and cleaner room. Then it was fine even though there were still two light bulbs missing which the hotel fixed right away. The head of sales services made sure everything was fine after that and they even sent a basket of fruits to make up for the problems.
There are many prostitutes in the hotel, which makes you wonder what Sheraton thinks of that too.? Now the alternatives in Abuja are limited so you have to go with what is available and your expectations should be lower than average.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Yolande M
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013

Reviewed March 13, 2013

While Nigeria suffers and tourists are discouraged from travelling - those who have to go there need to know that the hotel they have been directed to is safe and secure.

The Sheraton reviews on Tripadvisor are very accurate.

The hotel is guarded by numerous men in uniforms and they all carry AK47s. They smile and tend to inspect car boots a lot.

I am not sure if a determined suicide bomber would find much to stop them at the Sheraton.

However once through the guards the next thing to greet you are the staff. Wow they don't want you there - it is clear. Guests just make their lives difficult. Don't expect to change any money - (There are no money changing facilities at the airport - beware) as this is a real pain and they tend to not carry much cash anyway.. because who needs cash?

The rooms are very basic - and have equipment that might work - if your kettle doesn't work don't worry they will bring you a replacement that also doesn't work.

The door may look as if it has been broken in to and the security chain removed - this should not alarm you as there are many other such doors and you should not worry - they will never find you in the hotel!

The pool bar is a joy. The pool is warm and welcoming - unfortunately the bar staff are there to encourage you to go back into the hotel. Their welcome is cooler than the AC in the main restaurant. (Oh and don't ask for a receipt! it just upsets them!)

Shabby, unwelcoming, poor service and incredibly expensive.. but they know they have a "captive audience" - my advice - go to the Hilton!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Simon B
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013

Boris Bornman

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels