Sheraton Abuja Hotel
  • Pool
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
All reviewslobby barthe club loungebreakfast buffet isguest relationsbusiness tripbit datedenjoyed my stayspgdanielobuduboathousepapillonsquashportercuisine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Abuja is a town in lock down at the moment - the Hotel has closed the elephant bar - and installed additional gates around the hotel. The guards have been reinforced with the miltary personel on all the gates.
The place is getting a coat of paint, which is not being applied by a proffesional - its everywhere on the floors, and at least they should have rubbed the walls down and filled the holes!
BUT, the current secuirity situation means less people are using this hotel. I have now been back twice since my last review. I can report this hotel is slowly spinning downwards. I had bed bugs in one of the delux rooms, and the food is NOT so good as it was.
Infact you all most have to hold your nose as you enter the main resturant for breakfast - seems there is something wrong with the central ac system!

The two rooms I have used recently, have that old run down look. This Hotel is surely in need of a major refurbishment - if times are hard, and the Hotel is now slow. Now would be the time to doit!
I also had problems with checking out - even though I had spoken to the front desk prior to departure, they were unable to issue me with my bill! InfactI did get it two days later on my email. After wiating 1hr at the check out desk the duty Manger did explain that they had just upgraded thier billing system, and it was still down. But this should have been completed at night - not 10.30 n the morning.
I will try and find somewhere else to stay next time in am in Abuja.

Room Tip: Try and avoid if you can!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurb, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed twice at the Abuja Sheraton, and the first stay was better than the second.
My impressions:
The lobby is clean and efficient (if you pay in cash).
The rooms are 70’s décor and very poorly maintained. On both visits I had water leaking in the toilet. No big deal, but every 15 minutes it re-fills (at 03:00 in the morning)… The sad thing is that I didn’t even let the maintenance staff know about it because they probably wouldn’t be able to fix it. I turned off the water myself. Fixed…
Breakfast is ok (but expensive). When I asked a waiter why there are no salt shakers on any of the tables, I got a blank look. When I asked the head chef why there are no salt shakers on any of the tables, a waiter brought me one. That’s not service… Giving EVERY table a salt shaker is service.

On the plus side, the laundry service is very good and very fast.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room above the Elephant bar if you want any sleep...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I read all the reviews online before arriving Abuja. My first stay at a Sheraton Hotel and i got to say that it really was quite nice. Rooms were clean and comfy. Room service was splendid. Breakfast was extremely good with an all you can eat buffet. Only problem we had was we kept getting wet paint on our clothes because the maintenance team did not put up signs that they were painting the corridors. Overall, i`d say not bad at all. I`ll definitely stay again when next i`m in Abuja especially with family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

My appologies on the painters signs - will address. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The reviews of the hotel say a lot. For comparable prices in other countries there are vastly nicer hotels. The grounds are very nice and this is almost a shame, as were the hotel to be completely renovated, the whole exeprience would be good and have a feel of an old 60/70's style grand hotel. The rooms and general decor is in very bad condition however, the staff and management there seemed fully aware of this, are reasonable and guaranteed improvements to the whole hotel as well as closure of the Elephant Bar, a place which is hilarious and incredibly awful all at the same time. These changes are very welcome as my organsiation regularly uses the hotel so we will withhold changing hotels on the hope upgrades occur. The orgasniation which owns the franchise have clearly used the hotel to gather as much capital as possible with little to no investment back, this has to change.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet you expectations. The Elephant Bar has been closed, since you last visit. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The lobby and grounds are not the best but still, they are deceptive because, I would never have imagined how bad a hotel could be once you are book-in and take the elevator upstairs. First of all the walls in the corridors, which are exposed to the elements outdoors, were peeling and molding. Then once inside the room (I was actually shown two rooms, either any better), the bed did not have a bed skirt so I could see just how old and dirty the mattress was.This prompted me to pull back the old, rough wool blanket and Polly-cotton sheets only to find another prickly woolen cover over a disgustingly old and dirty mattress. The pillows were filthy too so needless to say, I threw them off the bed and rolled up a towel to rest my head on. I just could not sleep. I was so uncomfortable. I was not sure if I was being bitten by bed bugs but the
trying to sleep in this bed made my skin crawl. Then, as this was a Saturday night there was loud music and a lot of noise coming from the bar in the courtyard below... and I was woken up by knocking on my door at 3:30 am and again around 5 am... either drunk people or prostitutes .I could not wait for day break when I checked out immediately!! I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Catherine Moji R

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet you expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.