Sheraton Abuja Hotel
$193
Travelocity
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
All reviewslobby barthe club loungebreakfast buffet isguest relationsbusiness tripbit datedenjoyed my stayspgdanielobuduboathousepapillonsquashportercuisine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Okay it's only fair to say from the outset that this is a hotel which has seen better days and needs a serious makeover. However, as so often it's the staff who define the quality of a hotel and this is one with loads of personality - as in great people. Right from Tunde and Obama on the front desk to the excellent Ibrahim on the management side you will be well cared for .In fairness I did see someone pretty upset about something but that's hotels for you. My own view is that the food was fine, the staff were delightful and if I had time I would have loved to spend time in the pool. Maybe next visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark W
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Mark

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. Please be assured that we will address the items mentioned by you. Know that you have made us very proud and specifically the staff you mentioned. It is so rare that people take the time to say thank you - you are a true officer and a gentleman.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Kind regards. Boris Bornman, General Manager

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Old, dirty and musty rooms that are overpriced. Light and bathroom fixtures were falling apart. First room had no working TV. Second room wasn't much better, Definitely not worth the USD$400+ a night paid. Extra charge for breakfast and room service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time.

Please be assured that we are addressing the items mentioned by you. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Kind regards.

Boris Bornman, General Manager

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were on a trip to Abuja as a delegation. Every experience was disappointing. The rooms were musty and smelt bad. I shifted to a club room by almost paying twice the rate. This was very average. The faucets were very old and the temperature could not be controlled. The air on was noisy and ineffective. I slept with the windows opened. The staff did not seem well trained and took time to even allot rooms. They give you the worst exchange rate. You can only pay in dollars and was a 6% adverse exchanger ate.
We selected this hotel because it was a Sheraton. Not worthy of being labelled one. Many better hotels in Abuja and more reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Sheraton needs to take care of their brand. This was the worst I have stayed in
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurb, which will address all the issues mentioned by you.

Please be assured that were possible we immediately addressed the items mentioned by you. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed at Sheraton Abuja numerous times, on business trips. What I like about the hotel: location is good, easy access to most parts of Abuja city. It is in the 'five star' style, with several restaurants, hundreds of rooms, shops, a large swimming pool, business centre, etc. The food at its restaurants (particularly Papillon) is exceptionally good, serving continental and local dishes from across the country. Only on one occasion have I had cause to complain about one of the offerings at Papillon (during breakfast), which to my surprise the manager at the restaurant (can't recall his name... Henry?) remembered the next time I stayed, which was months later - he asked me whether the dish was now to my liking (which it was); I was surprised and impressed that he remembered.

I like the layout of the rooms, which has the wash basin in a separate sort-of dressing area. The rooms have looked the same since my first stay at the Sheraton in the late 1990s, up to my last stay 12th-14th.

Now for the things I do not like: Over the years, the rooms have become jaded and old. I have seen on two occasions a tiny roach on the room floor. Furniture/chair in room old and sometimes torn in places with the foam exposed (once when I complained I was given a better room). Some rooms have no safes. A colleague once had his laptop stolen from his room, so make sure you lock all valuables. Also, if you are unlucky, your room card key may keep malfunctioning as has happened to me on occasion. What I do not like the most: the bar area next to the reception plays loud music until late in the night, and the noise can be quite disturbing if you are trying to sleep. Other Sheratons I have stayed in (Kampala/Uganda and Lagos/Nigeria) were a better hotel experience.

For a long time Sheraton Abuja has been advertising a major refurbishment of the rooms, perhaps that has now been completed. If the rooms are being changed to what was shown in the computer generated models/photos, then it looks to be a major upgrade. I hope so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a safe (as not all their rooms do). Keep valuables locked in the safe. And book a room far from the maddening noise of the music in the bar area (if you like a quiet and/or early night).
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The scheduled revamp is now a reality and will start early next year. Please do let me know when you here, would love to show you the mock-up room.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

It is not the best hotel in the city but its ok for short stay. The swimming pool is big enough and in a quite place while the gym is very small and dirty. The food is generally good but expect to wait a long time before be served. The hotel has also a discotheque that become crowded from friday to sunday. The staff is generally friendly and polite.

Room Tip: I personally enjoyed the grill at Obudu restaurant. Rooms are generally noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

t — +234.9.4612000 f — +234.9.4601511