“Sheraton Brothel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Abuja Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Abuja
Los Gatos, California
“Sheraton Brothel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is the absolute worst Sheraton anywhere on the planet!

While some of the staff is helpful, I picked the check-in agent who took 30 minutes to input my credit card details, copy my passport, search for a key, etc etc I could not figure out what was taking him so long, while the other agents were checking in one person after the other.

The entire place is in a general state of disrepair and neglect. My room had a strong musty smell, the battery of the safe was empty, burned out lightbulbs in the bathroom. Some of my co-travelers changed rooms several times because the A/C was not working or dripping, etc.

The most interesting thing (for a Sheraton) is that the hotel is actually a thriving brothel. When entering the elevators, there is a register - I was not asked to put my name down, but at night I observed several (admittedly very attractive) ladies putting down their names. I assume this is to keep track of their fees back to the hotel. The Elephant bar is the showroom for the ladies, so not recommended when looking for a simple dinner.

Quite unbelievable that this hotel is permitted to carry the Sheraton brand!

Room Tip: Apparently there are refurbished rooms, but all I saw was that the tile floor had been replaced with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Okaapi
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. It is truly helpful and I highly appreciated it, especially in today’s world where there is such a premium on time. The hotel is scheduled for a full refurbishment, which will address all the issues mentioned.

Please be assured that where possible we immediately addressed the concerns you have mentioned. My sincere apologies for our failure to meet your expectations. I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future, giving us an opportunity to remedy our failures. Please do contact me when you are in Abuja next.

Boris Bornman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The banqueting staff was the most helpful and organised team during my stay at the Sheraton in Abuja. The conference went very well and all staff was always at hand to assist during our 5-day conference. I have stayed in a few Sheraton hotels before, even in Harare, Zimbabwe, so I was quite dissapointed in the state of the bedrooms... The lobby was clean and access to wi-fi was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

DUBAI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Where to start...Let's do the positive point it will be quick. The italian restaurant is doing ok pizza for nigeria but don't expect anything better than the worst pizza hut...The obudu grill on the other hand is serve really nice meat. Voila for the rest it is a tragedy that Sheraton gives this hotel the franchise the rooms are dirty and old the lounge upstairs smell bad and serve disgusting breakfast, the hotel bar is a aggressive hooker place.
Price are cheaper than the Hilton but 250 Euros for this dump is high street robbery. When you know the kind of money that is floating around in Nigeria leaving the sheraton franchise to property is an insult for the brand and customer who are lured in by the brand and find themselves in a s...hole!

Room Tip: just avoid this hotel spend an extra 100 euros and go to the hilton
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FRENCHBIZTRAVELER

Boris Bornman

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Abuja, Nigeria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family holds an SPG membership and since i live in abuja i was eager to use the point for a quiet retreat with the girlfriend. The receptionist was extremely lovely, thereby giving me high hopes for the rooms and service.

Here is where the trouble started:

The elevators were shaky and frankly quite scary ( i hear they've been remodeled)
there was water dripping all over the corridors
the toilet seat was circular while the toilet bowl was square, very uncomfortable to use
the furniture was thread bare and from the 80s i must say
TV channel selection was poor
the room service took ages, my girlfriend actually ran out of the hotel to get a shawarma from a restaurant and was back in bed before the spaghetti bolognaise arrived (good laugh)

the hotel was too expensive for the poor service

my trip was in 2011 heard some work has been done

Room Tip: as for new rooms facing the highway it has a good view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Absolutely shocking hotel. Run down, noisy and overpriced. Very low standards. If you are forced to stay in this hotel very least you need to do is make sure you're well away from the Elephant bar which is noisy and seedy.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Honestcritic99999999
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013

Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I read reviews before deciding to give this hotel the benefit fo the doubt because I heard it was being upgraded. I insisted on seeing a room before confirming and checking in. The front desk took 15mins before arranging this simple task. One quick look at the room and I was on my way out. Furniture was disgraceful (definitely same ones from the 90s or possibly 80s), the mattress was hard as a rock. There was noise from the highway. Only the floor looked like it had been upgraded to wooden laminate. And I was supposed to pay $400 for this "luxury"! The next morning, a business partner who stayed there said he had no hot water. I was told the executive floors were better (albeit at a cost). When last did the folks at Sheraton (Starwood Hotels) group visit this hotel?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ufi3

federal capital territory abuja
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

i was lodge in avery cool ventilated room with my family,i love the environment their aircondition is working fine,no power failure trueout,,the staffs are very friendly even to my kids,the gym there and very good love to be there again. the spas arealso very good,i saw a lot of intresting apartments there,the people selling things are rfiendly too.i wish to be there again once again.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side is preferable cos the place was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boris6, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you taking the time to share your observations. It is truly so great when a peson takes the time to say thank you.

I do hope to have the privilege to see you return to the Sheraton Abuja, in the not too distant future. Please do contact be when you are in Abuja next.

Kind regards.