“Not a typical Sheraton - but clean and friendly staff”

Sheraton Abuja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed April 8, 2012

On a recent business trip, I was booked to stay at the Sheraton in Abuja for a couple of weeks. First night was horrible, as I had just arrived late in the night, I was extremely exhausted, not having slept for 24 hours, and I just wanted to get to my room as fast as possible and rest. As my colleagues have suggested, I would have to do some room shopping before settling down in an acceptable room, so that's what I did, but eventually, I came back to the original one they had provided me - it was the best I had seen. At first, I was not comfortable; no safe, no closet, no balcony door lock and room seemed run-down and very old. However, the room was very clean, and the floors were recently changed without carpet, so this was good. After a couple of days, I finally adjusted and realized it wasn't so bad. Renovations are highly needed in rooms, but otherwise, this is a very beautiful hotel, with many amenities, including a pool, a few restaurants, a nice gym (small, but with very nice machines), a casino, little shops and even a spa.

Housekeeping staff was very friendly and very attentive. A small tip goes a long way. They do try hard to please their guests.

Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful as well. I had to check-out in the middle of my stay to make a quick 3 day trip to Lagos, and they locked the same room for me to have it available to me when I came back.

Despite not having a safe, my things were not stolen and the hotel premises seemed secure enough. Although, i do highly recommend management to install a working safe in each room.

No problems for me at check-out (better to do it at the reception on the 8th floor if possible), where you can sit down and take your time to review all charges.

Negative observations:

-Prostitution at the Elephant Bar cheapens the hotel - having them frequently go up to the rooms.
-Old, run down rooms which need a major uplift, including new furniture for non-club rooms, new mini-fridges and water boilers are needed, a working safe must be installed in all rooms
-Restaurants are quite pricey.
-Hotel stay is very pricey for the run-down state of rooms

All in all, Abuja doesn't have much competition for large chain hotels, this Sheraton is not the best, but it was good enough for a business stay and I do want to believe they are making improvements as I am writing this. Hotel with potential.

Room Tip: Recommendations: -Find a room at a higher floor to avoid the noise from below (I was on the 10th...
1  Thank Mangopuff
Nanji T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

“Thank you for posting your recent experience at the Sheraton Abuja Hotel.
Your feedback is most appreciated and I would like to support your observation that we are indeed working on a number of short-term improvements and initiatives pending the initiation of a full hotel refurbishment. Your positive comments with regards to the Hotel Staff will certainly be communicated accordingly”.

Kind Regards – Chris Newman
General Manager”

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Abuja Hotel

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Where can I start? First point is, pay big attention to your credit card. They billed US$ 5,000 to it when my bill was US$ 2,000. At this moment 2 weeks later, I am still waiting for a refund.
The rest: do not expect a standard Sheraton hotel. This Sheraton has all kinds of problems you can imagine. Here are some:
1) If you like that cold shower in the morning, to wake up, you'll love it. Warm water happens at random hours;
2) Very, very poor maintenance (see photos);
3) Elevators don`t work all the time;
4) Furniture in the room is old and falling in pieces
5) I don't have a safe in the room
6) Clothes are exposed all time as there is no wardrobe in the room
7) There is not a single day when light goes out 3, 4 times. One day it went out more than 10 times.

Room Tip: If you are Gold member at Starwoods, ask for a room in 7th, 8th or 9th floor. These are the "pr...
10  Thank Peterson P
Nanji T, General Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you for your recent posting regarding your current stay at the Hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience regarding the pre-authorization posting on your credit card. This matter was reported by you to Corporate Customer Services, communicated directly to us at Hotel level and your complaint immediately taken forward. The delay in receiving the refund is due to a combination of the four day Easter Weekend and local bank operations. Due to the sensitivity of such matters, we have indeed implemented numerous security policies to ensure guests are well covered. I understand the team here are in communication with you as you are still resident at the Hotel. Should you need any further assistance, please give me a call directly.

Best regards – Chris Newman – General Manager

Credit card issues are a major hurdle for us in Nigeria. As you may be aware credit card fraud is a major concern for international travellers in Nigeria. Hence credit card companies and Starwood have implemented numerous security policies to ensure our guests are protected from theft. This coupled with a challenging pre approval process which can only be done via the credit card offices in Lagos does create delays in processing.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Do not expect Sheraton Abuja to be 5 stars by European standards but real efforts are made to renovate this huge hotel. Rooms in floors 7 and 8 in particular have nice wooden floor and more recent furniture. Mattresses are top quality and plenty of water pressure even in the upper floors. Food at the poolside restaurant is good and less expensive than in the other steak house and Italian spots within this large compound. The gym is good also and there is plenty of space around the pool. Girls are still flocking at the Elephant bar but they are not too annoying and the bar can be quite fun on Saturdays when live bands and local expats are filling the place. Staff is overall friendly and competent. The only real drawback is the lengthy check in and check out and the abysmal electronic payment system (twice my Visa payment had to be done manually).

Room Tip: Preferred guest floor 7 or club floor 8 are better options
1  Thank Pitape
Nanji T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

“Thank you very much for the review and positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel. As with all feedback, this will be passed on to all of the management and staff to read.
I apologize for the challenge related to card authorization. We have indeed experienced a number of challenges with credit card machines through our local bank provider which we are still in the process of rectifying. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have stayed here for 2 days, 1 night on a business trip. The hotel appears quiet impressive from the outside, once inside the good impression contnues right through the lobby/bar. The rooms I must say are quiet run down and old. They have the Sheraton look but but the furniture and decor is quiet old.

The beds are comfortable, I was really tired from my trip so going to sleep was no an issue..I don't even remember what the pillow looked like.

The Elephant bar, I have hear so much about it on this site...quiet pricey drinks and full of "ladies of the night", however, they did not both either me or my work colleague. The Aqua bar is much better has has cheaper drinks.

The few complaints I have had:
- the lobby eftpos/credit card machines did not accept our cards whereas the ones on level 8 did..but it was an adventure to find this out
- business centre is quiet expensive
- internet should be free
- it took me a while to work out how to operate the shower
- for the money, this is an expensive hotel but much better value than the Hilton

I have given this hotel an average rating as that's what it is...looking at it from a world wide perspective, it is a 3 star hotel and you keep to this standard you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Apparently Level 3 rooms are nice...but we did not get one.
1  Thank traveller_au97
Nanji T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

“Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. You constructive feedback was much appreciated and as with all reviews, these are indeed shared with the team.
I have noted the challenge with the Credit Card Payment and will certainly look into this, Since joining relatively recently as General Manager, I have implemented now free WIFI in all Guest Rooms on a basic connection level and a free high speed connection through the link@sheraton based in the lobby for all resident guests.
I need to research why you incurred a cost for this service.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the near future".

Chris Newman – General Manager”

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I can't believe I am paying $220 per night for this room. Pillow covers are stained. The lampshades by my bedside are torn, stained and hanging off the frame, so that I have the bare bulb glare. The sink tap barely has any force. The shower is turned towards the wall permanently as it is cemented at an angle and the shower head does not move. So I have to squeeze towards the wall to take a shower. There is a film of dust on the refrigerator.

Restaurants are grossly overpriced - expect to pay more than $20 per meal. But the breaking point is the internet. At $100 for 7 days, you can connect only one device. If you want to connect your phone and tablet you have to pay for another connection.

Really disappointed with Sheraton here. I understand that travellers do not have much choice here and will stay at Sheraton, so they can command any price. But the brand should not be compromising on quality.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, ask for a newly renovated room.
2  Thank Flightyfeet
Nanji T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

“Thank you for communicating your recent experience at the Sheraton Abuja. Although never pleasant, receiving such feedback is helpful during this early period of my assignment as General Manager. There is really no excuse for the maintenance and cleanliness related issues pertaining to your room.
I assure you that this has been taken most seriously and I do share all of the feedback with the team here on a weekly basis to ascertain the root cause of problems, pending a longer term renovation programme scheduled later in the year. One issue which has been addressed as recently as today, is the installation of WIFI across all rooms in the Hotel with complimentary access at regular speed for email in guest rooms. In addition, the link@sheraton now carries a high speed internet connection free of charge to all guests resident at the Hotel. I would be delighted to discuss other initiatives which I have undertaken further and can be contacted directly at chris.newman@starwoodhotels.com

Thank you again for taking the time and effort to share your experience.

Chris Newman- General Manager”

Regards,

Chris

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I think the Sheraton brand team have got look at dissassoiciating them selves from this hotel I stand by all other recent reviews of it lackluste uninspired taff who stand around whilst you wait for ages..very poor internet, basic rooms worthy of a 2 star hotel very noisy due to tiles outside and very outdated. needs a total refurb. There are one or two pictures around of nice modern rooms..I think they have done one up for the picture as I never met anyone who stayed in a room like that. But what really upset me and my world wise male collegues was that prostitution was openly occuring. they were appraoched at least six times by prositutes working in the Elephant bar whilst having a drink before I came. So uncomfortable we left. About 6pm The pimp..we got to know his face quicly checks them into the hotel countin goff on a board ..often around the front door as well and then farms them out. Hotel security guards seen getting cuts tooand signing them in and out of rooms so the hotel is well aware of this..its hard not to see really,

3  Thank gwynethh
Nanji T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Abuja Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

“I read with concern your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Sheraton Abuja Hotel. The Hotel is indeed due for a complete renovation beginning September of this year.
In the meantime, having recently taken over as General Manager and based upon feedback from guests of the Hotel, I have already implemented a few initiatives which should have an immediately positive effect on the experience for future guests, including some of the areas you highlighted. These include a new High Speed WIFI Internet connection to all guest rooms and the Link@sheraton and a total review of the Elephant Bar operations.
I would appreciate the opportunity to clarify your security concerns and can be contacted at your convenience via email: chris.newman@starwoodhotels.com
I hope to hear from you.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have been to this hotel about 5 times in the last 4 years. The service is deteriorating fast. The management seems to have evaporated. Took me 55 minutes to check in (only 2 people in front). When I went to the room, no towels, no pillows. The laundry service was a disaster: had to call 3 times for pick up, and was delivered a full day late (and only because i called repeatedly again). For 300 US$ per night you would expect soemthing better. The staff appeared lost and totally lacking motivation. The fitness room is poor. Only good things are breakfast and the Elephant Bar in the evening. Real disgrace for the Sheraton brand. Unfortunately there are not many other options in Abuja.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank aner g

“Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn that your experience at the Hotel has deteriorated over the various visits. There has indeed been a change in management at the Hotel and I have recently taken over as General Manager. My immediate focus is on the long term renovation plans whilst addressing some quick fix areas of the operation which have been highlighted by a number of constructive guest comments. As a regular visitor to the Hotel, I would welcome further feedback from you and also the opportunity to share first hand some of the priority areas I and the team are currently working on. I can be contacted at chris.newman@starwoodhotels.com

kind regards,