“Lack of hygiene brings down the overall standard”

Valencia Hotels Abuja
and 1 more site!
Valencia Hotels Abuja
Ranked #23 of 82 Hotels in Abuja
London, United Kingdom
“Lack of hygiene brings down the overall standard”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I didn't send in a forensic team but what does it say that I came away with an infection in both eyes and my colleague with typhoid?
Staff is friendly, polite and helpful so I'm sorry to give a bad review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
citizen of the world
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Arrived at the Valencia at about 10 pm after an extra-long work day with confirmed reservation in hand and was told there was no room for me. This is a hotel my company books people into all the time but that didn't matter. Of course, when I asked to speak to the manager he was unreachable. The front desk's answer was to send me to another, lower standard hotel, separating me from others in my group. Not a great experience. More like total fail. What is the use of a reservation if the hotel doesn't honour it?

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank harrow_henley

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels

KADUNA
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I am a regular guest at this centrally-located and easy to access hotel in ABUJA. It is my first choice hotel anytime I am in Abuja. All I need to do is call the hotel or send an e-mail and a room is reserved for me. the hotel is neat and well maintained. I only take the complimentary hotel offered by the hotel but I do not take other meals there so I cannot comment on the food.
The staff are friendly, neat and helpful. They surprised me during Christmas when they gave me a Christmas hamper.
However, I have to agree with those who complain that the hotel is expensive. It also takes a long time for the room air-conditioner to start working when you switch it on and it blows directly on the bed which may not be o.k. with some people. The time it takes for them to switch to the generating set when the power from PHCN goes off is so long and somebody could be trapped in the lift.
If you are looking for a hotel that is not very highbrow but offers similar services like the highbrow hotels, I recommend Valencia Hotel.

Room Tip: If you do not like noise, do not take a room near or overlooking the swimming pool area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I usually stay at Sheraton but this time I wanted to be more central in Wuse 2. I chose a 'Grande' room, very spacious, well functioning bathroom, large firm bed.
Pros
- good service, daily supply of water, juice and tea/coffee in your room + newspaper
- buffet breakfast included, too bad bread is too sweet
- good gym
- well located, supermarket, nice restaurants and bars around
- Visa card payment works

Cons
- aircon is noisy, not split unit
- pool is crowded during week ends
- no inside bar (it was 38 degrees in Abuja!)
- poor choice of TV channels and poor signal

Room Tip: New wing and larger rooms are of course better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The last time I lodged here before last two weeks was in 2009. This time I checked out of a so called high brow hotel in annoyance because of very poor service. I decided to give Valencia a check out. I was right. The place is still neat, the front desk people are still receptive and services are still prompt.

To cap it, the noise from the poolside bar from a live band is gone. And the lifeguard is still there. This place gives a feeling of being among family. The accessibility to shops, banks, restaurants, bars and nightlife is excellent.

The food is good if you like African stuff.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right wing have view to the pool and the approach street. You'll have an interesti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
agra
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We reached in the midnight and had no prior booking. The reception people were stubborn and quoted a very high room tariff - higher than 5 star hotels in Abuja !!! The rooms were smelling. The bathroom shower was faulty. The TV had few channels, the furniture was quite dated. Minibar had hardly anything inside. There were just two hangars in the wardrobe. The internet was very slow. The breakfast was hopeless. There were prostitutes standing outside near the hotel. On checking out they refused to accept USD notes stating they are printed before 2006 !!! With great difficulty I found an operative ATM and brought them Naira. They cleverly stole one 1000 Naira note and blamed that I gave them less money. Basically the guys are scamsters so my sincere advise is to stay away from this place if possible.

Room Tip: Stay away if possible. Not worth the money they charge
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The rooms are fine and spacious and well kitted out.
The food is the worst I have experienced on all my trips to Africa. I ordered a burger and chips to my room and it came after an hour and I think they must have been cooking the burger for an hour. It was pure charcoal and when i complained they bought it back because the chef said it was ok. I got a piece of paper and actually wrote a message with the burnt edges. They agreed to get me another and it came almost the same.
The staff in the restaurant at breakfast time just stand around talking to each other and not checking if things are running out. This is totally unacceptable for people who need a quick bite before going to a meeting. Quite a lot to like about this hotel but because of the staff and food i will not go back

Room Tip: all the rooms are of a decent standard that I saw
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business