“Wonderful”
Review of BON Hotel Abuja

BON Hotel Abuja
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Abuja
Reviewed January 25, 2013

What can I say, I stay all over the world. O.k, so if you know Africa, Europe, North and South America, Africa is always at the boan any I botttom of the pile!
Not here, the welcome by the staff better then any I have ever had. Breakfast simple but fresh, Dinner of fish stew was just amazing, the chef said he would do it Nigerian style which he did.
The south African manager just wonderful and went out of her way to help.
The best thing was the beds. Slept like a baby before working the flight home.
Thank you and I cant wait to come back to Abuja!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hughairbus

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few days.
The room was amazing with two floors. Downstairs there was a bathroom, tv, sitting room. The stairs lead to a large bedroom, jacuzzi bath, toilet and shower room. There was a communal balcony area with seats.
I was only really there for a few hours on a night and it was raining so I didn't get a chance to try the pool.
Breakfasts were ok..there was a chef who would do eggs and pancakes. I seemed to have a cockerel outside of my window though who sounded every now and then.
The only bad thing I can say is the hotel does not change money. However they did offer to take it and get it changed for us.

Overall a nice stay in a lush room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Firstly, for anyone not accustomed to traveling in West Africa, prices, standards, and service are FAR different in this part of the world than what most might expect from similar ratings in the developed world. I am basing my ratings not on the "five star" system in European capitals, but on levels of expectation in Africa. That said, I was very pleased with my entire stay here at the Protea Abuja.

I spent a total of ten nights here over the last three weeks, using it as a base for my business travels throughout the county. The Potea came recommended to me by colleagues due to its location, security, and remove from the Big Hotels which are the usual "go to" in Abuja. In light of recent threats to high profile hotels and other installations in the country made by Boko Haram, I was very willing to give the Protea a shot.

I have very few complaints regarding my experience, and I don't often write reviews, so I can confidently state that this hotel is a very good option, especially for those seeking a more quite and peaceful lodging option. The level of service was incredibly good for West Africa - I was truly amazed. The rooms were spacious, amply equipped, quite comfortable, quiet, well tended to.
Several nice touches made it even more pleasant: There is a small bottle of wine, a voucher for drinks at the bar, and a personal note from the general manager waiting for you upon arrival. If you stay for a few days, all of the staff remember your name, preferences, and room number, are are extremely polite and thoughtful. I have a habit of removing the bolster pillows and decorative spread from the bed and stacking them in the corner every night before I settle into bed... after a few days, the staff would do this for me when performing their evening turn down service, even when I had switched rooms several times due to my frequent comings and goings after traveling to other cities in country. WiFi is free, and of relatively good speed. Power outages are common, but the generators are quick to flip over, and not loud.
The GM is always available, and is quite cordial and attentive, as is the chef. They are willing to arrange car hir with good drivers and vehicles.

A few small complaints though... the showers have small rigid screens that only extend a few feet from the front of the tub; they also swing open, and have a poor seal along the tub; as such, water tends to get all over the floor. Water pressure can be poor on the upper floors, and it can be tricky to adjust the temperature. Check-in and -out can be a bit lengthy, but not uncomfortable. Breakfast is ridiculously overpriced, but is fairly good. You cannot exchange money at the front desk, which is a bit of a hassle, so be prepared. They charge a "plate fee" for room service, which is a nuisance as the restaurant is very small, and a solo traveler might feel a little uncomfortable eating there.

As a result of my pleasant experience here, I also decided to stay in Protea hotels in Lagos and Warri, with similar experiences in both locations.

I highly recommend this hotel, and I thank management for making my stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Nicer "views" in odd numbered rooms, especially the third (top) floor. Ask for rooms near...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mithlondir
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business in Abuja. Good and secure location.

Rooms were an average standard if a little tired and the air conditioning was a little temperamental. Bed was firm and comfortable - a really important point when travelling on business. Wifi was good an reliable most of the time but the hotel was subject to internet lines which were less reliable.

Bar was good and the restaurant was good for breakfast and dinner with a decent selection and variety of local and international cuisine.

I would recommend this hotel but will look at others when next in Abuja.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The Hotel is in a "nicer" area of Abuja with lots of embassies around. It is a small hotel, so not many people around and it feels relatively warm. The rooms are not too bad so is breakfast. Internet wasn't working which the staff tried to fix about 3 times throughout 2-3 hours during the evening... some faults here and there, but above average on a Nigerian level. I would give it a strong 3 star rating.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Protea is located in a quiet spot in he north west corner of the city near the Irish Embassy and other diplomatic areas. It has a secure compound with 24 hour guard and enjoys a lower profile than some of the other international hotels in the city. The hotel is owned by a South African company and is smaller than average with about 23 rooms but overall for my extended 3 week business trip in June it was ideal. This is not a luxury hotel but the rooms were clean and well appointed and some rought edges were more than compensated for by very helpful and friendly staff. Thee is a nice bar for a cold beer and the restaurant had a very good cooked breakfast but the evening menus were a bit limited. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the unpretentious nature of the hotel combined with a high level of service. You could do a lot worse in Abuja than this discreet and well located hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Having stayed at other larger chain hotels and been very disappointed the Protea was a nice surprise. Small and slightly dated but comfy rooms and beds with fast and free wifi...everything worked..unusual for here. A few problems with my room keys being continually deactivated which meant numerous trips to reception and I changed rooms three times to try to get one not by the generator or AC The bellboy said the first floor roome were the noisest but the third floor was nice and quiet. Staff incredibly helpful and kind. Food ok too My colleague had some great fish and a steak...I was recovering from something nasty i ate in Ethiopia and they made bland soups and food for me off menu with a smile.
I would stay here again for certain.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business