“Go to the Hilton”

Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Abuja
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Go to the Hilton”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

There are so many things wrong, I hardly know where to start. First, some good things. My bed was comfortable and clean. My room was huge. The TV is a nice flat panel. The pool is nice and there is a decent pool table at the pool bar. WiFi worked well from the lobby, but the ISP for the hotel often failed (not the Nicon's fault). The spaghetti was OK. Now, the rest of the story... The restaurant would put out the prior day's (or older) food at breakfast - at least they recycled. Pastries would start fresh and each day be a little more stale. Mounds of French Toast were always available - even on the day that the man with the key to the egg cabinet did not come to work. BTW, no syrup for the French Toast. The hair dryer in the room had a dilapidated hose that had only wire in places - not the surrounding plastic- so the hot air would dissipate and never make it to the end (or your hair). The tile grout in the shower was grungy. The hot water is too good on the lower floors - you can easily scald yourself. However, it never made it up to the sixth floor where a colleague was staying. Forget about ordering from the menu, you have to ask what is available that day. The pool bar arbitrarily may or may not allow you to order food. There are holes punched into the exterior walls with hoses or some sort of lines running down the outside of the building and then into these crude holes. I don't think the holes went into rooms, they were offices of some sort. The housekeeping staff may take away dirty towels, but not replace them. You can find yourself with one towel after a few days. One room assigned to our group smelled like sewage. I could go on, but what's the point. Don't stay here, just pony up the $$ and go to the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tulsaguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 1, 2011

It was a terrible experience. 12 hrs without water supply. The staff were not being polite while enquiring about the water supply. All they offered is a bucket of water. I felt like I was jailed in Abuja and the hotel staff as my jail warder. When I was meeting friends at the lobby a waiter asked me to order food or leave the place as it is the restaurant. Humiliating experience all thru my stay. One hell of a 5 star hotel. Let them learn from smaller hotels like Bolton White

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Abuja hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Rooms: very BAD, clean: fatal, old instalations, and also no good maintenance , no good service, fatal internet (free, but FATAL) only exist in the BAR zone - breakfast: SHORT a lot, Lunch without quality, every day at night, disco sound arrive to floor 6 ... then, you can't sleep ..... Only have a good SWIMMING POOL, nothing more, .... Really never more time i will be there .... and, at final, on check-out, people are inexpert a lot ....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank abandres
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed October 11, 2011

If they had called the hotel a "motel", and admitted to being one or two star, I might have given a 3 star rating. But for laying claim to 5 star status, while being little more than a stinky, dilapidated hovel, it deserves no more than a one. Door handles fallen or falling off, rusty bathroom fittings, old and threadbare bedsheets, smelly carpets... Don't go there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This seems to be the second best hotel in town, with very nice common areas carefully maintained. It used to be the Hilton, and still shows up as such on some maps. I only saw common areas for a conference, and ate one meal, which one of the better one in a city full of terrible food. Security was not intrusive when I was there before the recent bombing of police headquarters - that is good or bad depending on whether you like Special Forces with machine guns running around. The hotel is not secure against bombings, but so far these seem to be targeting Nigerians.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I think my title says it all. I saw the other reviews before I went and I just prayed that they were being harsh or unkind but alas not! I have stayed in some awful hotels in my time but never have I had to pay so much for the pleasure. Where should i start?

When you arrive at the hotel you can see from the lobby that it is an old hotel but slightly worn out building but it does not prepare you for what is to come. The staff at reception are friendly but not very knowledgeable.

When we got to the room heart just fell! The carpet was black with dirt, the doors had dirt on them, the tea cup was cracked, the bin in the toilet had not been emptied, the sheets and blanket on the bed were old and torn....I could go on and on but I won't.

The final straw for me was the following morning. We were at the hotel for a workshop and at break time i went to the toilets and nearly fainted with horror. The toilets were dirty, smelly and without toilet paper. As i write this review I am checking out this evening and moving to another hotel - The Chelsea!

Oh and I don't know why they keep saying that they have internet connection in the rooms because it does not work!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank GingerLondon
Aberdeen
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We had the misfortune to stay in this dreadful hotel for 5 nights in February. Sadly I could not say one good thing about our stay other than we got a free bottle of water in our room every day.

Check in through to check out was a disaster. The staff while friendly are untrained, there are many staff who do not know what to do. The building is tired with no sign of any investment, in the structure, furnishings or staff. The greatest misfortune during our stay was that the AC in all of the bedrooms was broken and our stay was so hot and uncomfortable that nerves were frayed from the start. Our party booked 5 rooms, everyone complained of the same issues.

The hotel did however allocate a driver to us, he was a pleasure and even helped me sort out some of the issues relating to broken things in our room, sad that it was a taxi driver who helped and not the many hotel staff we asked. So thank you Charles.

The food was terrible, overpriced and badly served, the buffet food was the same for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We went to the Hilton to eat every night.

The swimming pool looked dirty with a film of grease on the top. Wifi did not work in the rooms, we didn't try it in the bar. Everything about this place is broken.

If you are staying in Abuja, don't go to this hotel, we stayed in the Transcorp Hilton the week before and it is a far nicer hotel. This place really is the worst, most unpleasant hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business