Hotel Pension Uhland
Hilton Windhoek(Windhoek)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewssecure parkingstay there againwithin walking distanceyogurtan upgradecentre of townplunge poolnamibia tourklein windhoekjoe's beerhouseshort staylast nightstayed one nightirmgardwififridgetelevision
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We spent three separate nights at this Hotel and on each occasion found staff to be welcoming and very helpful. Stayed in three different rooms and found all of them to be very comfortable. One of the rooms had a rather small bathroom, but this was compensated by the size of the bedroom. All rooms open onto a patio or balcony. The on-site dining room offered a great breakfast and evening meals which, although not "fine dining" were well prepared and tasty. If you are not looking for five star classy accommodation, but like a good value, clean, comfortable and friendly hotel, we would recommend Pension Uhland to everyone.

Room Tip: Room 4A has a very small en-suite compared to others.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank suesmi
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pension Uhland is a little out away from town centre, but this seems pretty usual for Windhoek (and taxis are relatively inexpensive, so no real problem). Breakfast room has great views anyway! Room was fine, comfortable ... the decor could have done with some updating though and the design of the bathroom was a little strange, leading to minor flooding in that area (no shower curtain, no step ...). And the dogs, I don't mind dogs, but there were lots of big dogs and they were a bit in your face. Positives: room and beds were comfortable, breakfast room was nice, staff were helpful. Things to be improved: room design and perhaps keep the dogs out the back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BurmeseDays
jrannersmann, Owner at Hotel Pension Uhland, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Burmese Days

Thank you very much for your comment, we really appreciate feedback.
In a place like ours there is always something to renovate and although we have made lots of ameliorations already, there is still more that we want (and are going) to improve.

We do have two large dogs (Schoko and Mokka) which are very friendly and are not entering the breakfast/ dining room or guest rooms. As many of our guests really love the dogs we bring them to the hotel during day time. If somebody tells us that he or she is afraid, we keep the dogs out of the way.

Best regards
Irmgard Rannersmann
Owner

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel before returning to London. It is conveniently located close to the city centre and transport to the airport can easily be arranged at reception. The rooms are clean and are en suite and have a fridge with mini bar and free tea and coffee making facilities. The staff are generally friendly. I also managed to get very good internet connection in my room.

This is a guest house and not a hotel so only breakfast is provided. This may or may not have included a cooked breakfast as I was not told despite many staff members milling around the kitchen. However, there were cereals, cold meats, yogurt, cheese and bread that you could help yourself to. Light meals can be provided at lunch and dinner.

The rooms are all on the ground floor, overlooking the pool or garden and have large patio sliding doors. This gives a lovely view outside but also allows everyone to look inside. Not a problem if you don't intend to spend too much time in the room.

The owners do have two large dogs that wander around the reception area. They are very placid and don't give any trouble but as I am fearful of dogs it was a little shock to see them at first. However, they really don't bother the guests at all.

This is a nice little place to stay for a stopover for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SRD1509
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on March 14 and stayed at the hotel. We carried 30.000 Euro professional camera equipment. We came back 2 weeks later and while we had a drknk at the pool in the evening our room was opened with a spare key that was missing from reception back office (!!) and all ALL stuff stolen.
Hotel owner not cooperative at all and refuses help.
Although police sure its an inside job he even protects his staff and questions that the equipment was ever stolen at all??!!??
HELLO !! Are the thiefs his friends?? Well...he had access to the missing key! !
We are not happy with the hotel and the behaviour of the management and staff! !!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Irelandjoeeeeee
jrannersmann, Inhaber at Hotel Pension Uhland, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

False allegations by previous guest
- no thefts/breakins by staff since we bought the hotel in 2005-

Irelandjoeeeeee had arrived together with a group at Hotel Uhland on March 14th This day Irelandjoeeeeee handed his camera equipment in to be kept in a safe place within the office.
When Irelandjoeeeeee arrived again on March 30th all gear had been brought into his room. During unloading, the hotel yard was full of people, who all could see, that lots of camera equipment had been carried to Irelandjoeeeeee’s room.

On about 11h30 that night, I (the owner) have been called by the organizer of Irelandjoeeeeee’s group and been informed about a breakin in a room and that valuable camera equipment was stolen. First suspicions have been raised against our night guard. I rushed to the hotel to meet the guests. Together with Irelandjoeeeeee and the organizer I inspected the relevant room and a gate where the locks have been broken open. Irelandjoeeeeee infomed me that he saw a person, dressed up like our night guard, running from the scene, when Irelandjoeeeeee detected the break in.

I called the police and together with Irelandjoeeeeee and the organizer started to check the recordings from the surveillance cameras. Together we discovered that our night guard had been in the reception for the relevant time and could therefor not be the culprit. When the police arrived we also showed them the relevant scenes from the cameras. Based on this, also the police officers excluded the night guard from being the thief. After the police has left I sat with Irelandjoeeeeee and the organizer till 03h00 am to go through all the records of that afternoon. During this time I discovered that a spare key for Irelandjoeeeeee’s room was not where it should have been (We later discovered that also a number of other spare keys had been displaced). As the office, where the spare keys are kept is also under camera surveillance, we could proof, that nobody had entered the room that specific afternoon to steal the key.
Our night guard is with us for 9 years and is a loyal and honest person.

Again I was present the following morning, when the police arrived to take the report from Irelandjoeeeeee. Although it was proven the previous night, that our night guard could not have been the thief, Irelandjoeeeeee named our night guard again as the main suspect.
As Irelandjoeeeeee intended to leave Windhoek the same afternoon I had organized a police officer to come the same morning. That morning I had stayed with Irelandjoeeeeee and the police for assistance for about 4 hours.
During this morning, a police detective informed me that, due to false alligations made by Irelandjoeeeeee and other details, they stumbled about, the police would also investigate this case as a possible fraud.

The next day I handed in the claimform at my insurance to handle the matter. As asked by Irelandjoeeeeee, I went to see a number of photo shops and second hand shops and informed them about the stolen camera equipment.

Irelandjoeeeeee has recently informed me, that his German insurances have paid out the time value of the reported camera equipment. Since then, Irelandjoeeeeee is trying via a lawyer, to get my insurance and myself personally to pay the difference between the paid out funds and the amount he has to pay for the new parts.

We see his negative comment as a further way to put pressure on us.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've stayed the third time at this place almost in the middle of windhoek. Do not expect 5 star facilities. The rooms are simple, however with coffee making fac., fridge, very clean, secure parking, very good breakfast, simple meals for lunch and dinner. Very good value for money. Mostly German guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple