“handy for Windhoek and a good place for the start or end of your holiday”

Vondelhof Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 101 Windhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stopped here at the start and end of our trip. We had a warm welcome from the owner and staff. The rooms were clean and tidy, a fridge and kettle were much appreciated. A short walk into Windhoek with it's shops and supermarkets - ideal when getting ready for your road journey.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. Good to hear that you have not only chosen us for the start of your holiday, but that you also opted to return at the end of your journey.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've had the great fortune of travelling to Namibia at least once a year since 2006. I've stayed at Vondelhof numerous times, although not always as I like to check-out other options and sometimes Vondelhof has been fully booked. Not only have I never had a problem there, I have always found the staff, particularly the owner Yvonne, very helpful. Below I outline what I find to be good and not so good about my stays at Vondelhof below.

What's Good
* The price. I've stayed at 5 other hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs in Windhoek. Overall, I would rank Vondelhof 1 or 2 - 1 if I consider price, 2 if I don't.
* The breakfasts - sufficient options (cereals, toast, cold cuts, fresh fruit, yoghurt, coffee and tea).
* The rooms. Yes, they are simple, but they are nice and usually have a good desk to work at which is important for me. Beds are comfortable. Plenty of blankets for when its cold (mid-May to mid-August). If you want something special stay at the new Hilton in City Centre at USD200 a night
* Location: 5 minute walk to City Centre, but be careful about walking ANYWHERE (not just around Vondelhof but truly anywhere in Windhoek, especially quiet areas) after the sun sets (or even before) in Windhoek. Muggings, pickpockets, car break-ins are common.
* Security: electronic fence, safes in each room and remote controlled entrance gate.

Not so Good
* Rooms can be cold during Namibia's winter, mid-May and mid-August. However, there isn't much that can be done about this - this is the reality of life in Namibia, especially Windhoek. Its a desert environment and Windhoek is 1,800m above sea level. The buildings are built for the 9 months of the year when temperatures climb about 30 degrees Celsius.
* Can get dinner at Vondelhof, but then why would you want to since Windhoek has numerous great restaurants. I particularly enjoy: O Portugal; Am Wienberg; Zoo Cafe (although its called something else now);
* There is not fitness centre, but there is a pool.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2012

1. Our room was average, nothing special.
2. From B&B one would expect to be welcomed by the owner. In contrary what we could see is that one of the owners was regularly sun tanning next to the pool (we thought originally that he was one of the guests but aparently he wasn't) and not really bothering to say something to the guests.
3. Breakfast was just below average - few pieces of cheese and ham were served as part of buffet together with butter, jam and some musli stuffs. Not only the guests could "enjoy" this breakfast but also the cats who were happily sitting on a bowl full of musli and next to the bocal full of milk. So, the next morning we had to satisfy ourselves with poor choice of few pieces of ham and chees since that was the only thing that was closed in a box and therefore out of animal's reach (I assume that the scene we saw the day before was not just a one time event). That next morning the milk was totally sour and we explained this to the serving lady but she just smiled at us and walked away. We assumed that she didn't understand what we meant so we decided to mention this at the check-out.
4. At the check-out we mentioned the issue we had with sour milk and the question we got from the owner was: have you tasted the milk? We were quite surprised that this question came since the fact that we mention something like this means that we did taste it. Then we were asked as well to pay for a chocolate bar that we apparently took from the minibar. When we told to the owner that we haven't taken anything from the bar, she told us that the maid checked it and that there is one bar missing and she did go to check herself. It was for a moment a little uncomfortable for us as guests because it looked like we were not trusted (why would we lie over a chocolate bar anyway?). One has to mention though that she did take it off the list of things to pay for once we mentioned once again we really never took this bar, so this was professionally handled.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank RasMechelen
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

I, the owner of Vondelhof, am surprised about this review and would like to comment. Firstly, the sun tanning gentleman, the alledged owner who was so impolite not to welcome the guests, was not the owner but simply another guest. I, Yvonne Schadee, am the sole owner of Vondelhof and certainly make it a point to greet every single guest who is staying with us. Unfortunately, I can't check everyone in myself, but 99% of the guests I do personally meet and I also do the majority of the check-outs myself.

Our continental breakfast certainly has more on offer than a few slices of ham and cheese. Let me just dish it out for you. There are three different cereals that can be taken with either milk, plain/Greek or fruit yoghurt, sunflower seeds, raisins and/or lin seeds. Then there's a fruit basket, dried prunes and a fresh fruit salad, two different fruit juices, white and wholewheat bread, rye crackers, rusks, three different cold meats, cream cheese and cheese with assorted biscuits, two flavours jam, peanut butter, syrup, sandwich spread, a choice of butter and margarine, filter coffee, hot chocolate and two flavours tea.

Our pets (two dogs and two cats) are certainly not allowed in the restaurant, but are sometimes 'lured' into the restaurant by guests who find them cute and want to give them a bite. I strongly oppose to that and our staff is instructed to please make sure this doesn't happen.

If there's anything not right, either in the room or with service provided, I like to hear about it so that we can rectify whatever is wrong and improve our services. When these guests mentioned at check-out that the milk was sour, I indeed asked if they tasted the milk. The question might have surprised them, but we use(d to use) farm milk which contains a bit more fat than long life milk and sometimes there's a bit of fat floating on top which can easily be mistaken for milk being off. That's why I asked if they had actually tasted the milk or just judged it on its appearance. The above has actually been reason to switch from farm milk back to long life milk.

If there's a discrepancy between what our housekeepers report on what's been used from the mini-bar and what guests report at reception when they check out, has to be investigated. It happens often that only one guest checks out on behalf of a family and is not aware of what the others have used. We will not make anyone pay for something they didn't have, but I do feel it's correct to check. The housekeepers might have made a mistake, the reception staff might have charged it to a wrong account, but it could also be that one of the other guests staying in the room have used something from the mini-bar without informing the person who's settling the account.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

The pool area sets the tone for a relaxing stay. It feels as if I was staying in guest room at a friends place. Enjoy the patio thats part of my room. Staff are all friendly. Must say that the breakfast was nice the first few day but afterward is totally boring. Close to all amenities which is plus.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Well, for a late arrival/early next morning departure, this place was just adequate. We were hoping for dinner, a good nights sleep, a shower and to be safe and secure. Staff here were pleasant and reasonably helpful, though they seemed tired, along with the whole place. They weren't trying to make our stay memorable or remarkable.

As we moved into our hot room on the top floor (I had missed the fact that it was not air conditioned), the attendee opened up the balcony door to let fresh air in (and all of the mosquitoes) and then showed us around the room. Two single pine beds on a concrete floor, a side table between them, ill fitting mosquito nets and opposite that, built-in robes, fridge and TV. It really looked like the childs bedroom of a poor family. We shrugged, it was only for one night, and went out to the recommended restaurant, NICE, just up the road where we were ate very nice meals with great service.

Back at the hotel, we made the best of our room by lighting our own mosquito coil, making sure that the ceiling fan was on its best setting and lowering the mosquito nets over the beds. The mosquito nets hang from the wrong spot on the roof and they don't cover the bed. In a hot climate, I am only cool enough to sleep without covers, so I had to keep my hot feet under the sheets to prevent being bitten as the netting could only adequately cover the top half of the bed and I had to pull my bed 2 feet away from the wall to allow that. The aged and worn mattress, pillow and sheets did not contribute to a good nights sleep either. Shame, with a bit of TLC, this place could be much better.

Breakfast and breakfast room was fine.

Oh, the one foot high by three foot long mirror in the bathroom wall was about a foot too high on the wall for me, so only people of a certain height would be able to shave, comb their hair etc. Not me :-(

Room Tip: If cheaper, would be great for backpackers.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acleckie
Reviewed April 15, 2011

The guesthouse is nice, room was very clean, they have a pool, internet cost 2,50 EUR for 24h. Breakfast was basic but totally ok. The 哲ICErestaurant (ask at guesthouse) has excellent food, prices range from 6 EUR to 20 EUR. I ate a starter plate for 8 EUR and that was plenty of food. Can also recommend the Oryx steak. Staff at guesthouse were very friendly and helpful. We had problems with our car rental and they called several times for us (they charged this on the room, but that was only 2 EUR in the end for lots of calls, so no big deal). In the morning it gets quite loud, as there's a busy street not too far.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2010

The Vondelhof Guesthouse was a pleasant surprise. It started out well with my and my son's online booking, with each enquiry answered promptly. Our experience with Vondelhof Guesthouse became even better upon arrival. The lady on duty was very helpful and remained so for the duration of our stay. We found the rest of the staff also very friendly. The pool area is great and the water sparkling clean throughout the entire stay. The two dogs on the property were well-behaved. The room was pleasantly furnished and allowed for maximum natural light to flood in. The location is central, allowing easy access to shops, restaurants, cultural events, etc. We liked the area around the pool the best, that is lots of leafy shade and interesting woodcarvings; the patio as part of our room was also a nice surprise. The breakfast was the most boring aspect of our stay, but we knew upon booking that only a 'continental' breakfast would be available. The fresh melon was good though. The reviews prior to 2010 had us worried about what to expect, and I can only assume that Vondelhof had a revamp recently, because only the 2010 reviews reflect what we experienced during our own stay.

• Stayed: December 2010