“Great food & service, beautiful spacious suites, amazing views” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of GocheGanas

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
GocheGanas
Toronto
“Great food & service, beautiful spacious suites, amazing views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spend our first 2 nights of our Namibian honeymoon at Goche Ganas, and took advantage of their airport transfer option which was a great driver named Se-dick who was very friendly and was waiting for us at Windhoek with a sign with our name on it. Goche Ganas was amazing, and we were sad to leave after just 2 nights but we were heading to Etosha for safari. The service was amazing all around, and the reception was extremely helpful in making arrangements for us to go to the hospital one day for an infected cut I had brought from home. The indoor pool is amazing, but could have been warmer. We got one hour full body massages that weren't that great, but those are the only 2 things we could nit pick about. Great food, beautiful spacious suites, great service, amazing views, and you can do a self guided walking safari on their large grounds (no lions or leopards to eat you).

Room Tip: Even the more basic ones are amazing
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TorontoMike86
Janinev1971, Public Relations Manager at GocheGanas, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your honeymoon in Namibia was a memorable one.
We have passed on your comment about the Wellness to our Wellness Manager who will take this up with our team. We appreciate your feedback very much and assure you that it is our main priority to make every guests experience at GocheGanas a memorable one.

Best Regars
Janine vd Merwe
Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I love the setting of this lodge - it has an outstanding view - and it is nice and convenient to Windhoek for breakfast, lunch, a daily spa treatment and/or wildlife viewing. The lodge itself is also aesthetically lovely. However, we (friends and husband) find the customer service is very lacking. The massage therapist I had there was good, but the room was cold and I was uncomfortable. Staff also came into the room twice during my massage, to look for equipment. I was not impressed. The day spa itself is nicely set up but even with a reservation, we have to ask for everything. No one greets us with our robes or towels, we have to ask for them and sometimes we even have to go looking for someone to ask. The sauna is not lit. We have to ask to have it lit. Just basic simple touches are lacking. I had a gift certificate for a hydrotherapy bath and was going to use it one morning, but the young woman preparing the bath for me did not know how to heat up the water and then argued with me that it was warm enough. I cancelled the treatment. My friend ordered breakfast down in the day spa during another visit and three hours later her dirty dishes were still sitting on the side table by the lounger in the lovely spa area. We are not fussy. It is just that a spa should be a place where one feels pampered, not irritated.

My husband's company has held two board meetings there this year and during the last one, in June (the Namibian winter), the electricity was off for several hours in the morning during their meeting. The lodge staff promised a generator for the electronic equipment; but the lodge never delivered. The fellow on duty did not want to light a fire in the wood stove, so my husband's group sat around the boardroom table in their jackets and boots. The temperatures were down to below freezing at night and there was a cold wind during the day. A fire should have been lit a couple of hours before their meeting, just to warm the room. (The fire was finally lit just a couple of hours before they ended their meeting, but the room remained cold.) The lodge had another guest staying in the same building where my husband's meeting was being held, and this other guest would come in and out with his dog and it would run around the board room table during their meeting. A little African entertainment is great, but people flew in from the U.S. and Europe for this meeting, and should be able to count on at least the basics and some customer care. My husband said the Lodge just seemed so unprepared for anything out of the ordinary and there was no common sense used to deal with something like power failure.

I have also purchased four gift certificates there for friends over the past year, totaling from $48 USD to $120 USD, but will not do so again. I returned to Namibia two weeks ago to find out from a Canadian friend for whom I purchased a day spa and brunch during her week here, that they told her I had only paid for her brunch, and not the day spa. (I had booked over the phone and they did not email me the voucher, yet, my credit card was billed the full amount). My friend eventually convinced them I had paid for both, and they fulfilled the agreement but, how bad is that?

GocheGanas could be such a fabulous place if management took greater interest.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Janinev1971, Owner at GocheGanas, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Danette D

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at GocheGanas.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced with regards to shortcoming in service received from our Wellness Village staff and that we could not deliver our usual standard of service delivery.

At GocheGanas we pride ourselves in offering true Namibian Hospitality and I regret to read that you did not feel cared for. Your feedback is viewed in a very serious light and your report was communicated to the relevant Heads of Department to take the necessary corrective measures. Regarding your unahppiness about the electricity failure, we must reiterate that the entire Aris area where the lodge is situated had no electricity for the entire day due to a Nampower failure,
( force majeure – caused by our national electricity supplyer) . It is an immense challenge for a lodge to deal with electricity outages and still deliver the expectations of all our guests. We did have other guests on this particular day who commended our management and staff for the way they dealt with the situation. We are in no way making excuses, but would like to shed some light on the situation from our perspective.

Your loyalty to GocheGanas is appreciated and I once again apologise for any inconvenience caused. I hope that we have the pleasure to redeem our services to you and welcome you back soon. We have recently been awarded the Certificate of Excellence based on positive customer reviews, by Trip Advisor which again accentuates our commitment to offering our guests the best GocheGanas Experience with lasting positive memories.

Yours Sincerely,
Udo M Stritter
Executive Chairman
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

After a long night flight from Frankfurt to Windhoek, GocheGanas is the place to unwind! We loved the excellent spa facilties (had a great massage and enjoyed the sauna). It also has a beautiful indoor pool which is the only place in Namibia where we were able to enjoy a swim, as we were there in winter time. Service in the lodge itself was also good. Same goes for dinner (buffet in busy times). We also did a morning drive which made a great start for experiencing the African bush. We did not see large animals but still very enjoyable and worth the experience. We stayed in one of the large chalet which had a great view of the area. If your budget allows it, start your holiday here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Renee77188616
Okahandja
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We had our 2nd wedding anniversary at Gocheganas. This was a very nice experience.... From the arrival at the gate, we were suprised at the friendliness of the staff.... The food in the restaurant was to die for... The treatment at the wellness centre was from heaven....
Unfortuantely we missed the stargazing due to the weather.....but the spectacular surrounding views was as good.. This is a good enough excuse to go again... for sure....
Check in time is 14h00 but they will store your luggage at reception if your early....

They will see us pretty soon again for more treatments and relaxation....

Room Tip: All the rooms have fantastic views.....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christo S
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our last night in Namibia and a luxurious one too. The place is a hybrid game reserve, spa, resort, smart hotel and all are done very well. The reserve is large but sparsely populated and despite the best efforts of our guide/ranger we see no rhino... but we did see meerkats! A great place to chill out and the staff were excellent - even to the point of resuscitating our car that has got a flat battery overnight.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickcambridge
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Goche Ganas.. need i say more?? Went there for my day visit no 5 and I am as always welcomed as a very special guest. Service excellent.... and the wellness part: excellent... The lunch;( well it can improve ( a lot)

Room Tip: Not been sleeping there
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank karisma00
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

We spent the end of our honeymoon at Goche Ganas. Four nights is probably too much for this hotel/game reserve, as there isn't much to do, but the place is beautiful.

I can't fault the accommodation. Our bathroom was practically the size of a typical London studio flat, with gorgeous panoramic views from the bath. The bed was massive and as comfortable as any, and from the little balcony / terrace, you could see the wildlife. The accommodation in itself is worth the trip. I think we were in villa 2, which I can highly recommend.

The spa was very nice - we both had hot stone massages and I would recommend it to anyone. Sitting by the outdoor pool and looking down on the waterhole surrounded by rhino was pretty magical.

In comparison to where we had been the week before, we didn't see much wildlife, but if we had arrived here first, we probably wouldn't have through anything of it.

The food was ok. I wouldn't travel here for the gastronomy, but I have no complaints either.
It is rather expensive, so I suppose the food really should be better than it is.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple