“No way Dude.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“No way Dude.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Safari hotel and Safari Court Hotel are two sister hotels on the same property.

Originally booked in at the safari hotel, just one look at the room and one wiff of the smell changed my mind. it said 3 star but looked like a 1 star. the reception area was good and the pool was great and thats where it all ends

I believe it has a great conferance facility but I did not hang around to find out

The pictures on the web where very miss-leading but seeing as I had no where else to go I booked in to the safari court hotel instead

Nought said..........

Room Tip: stay away from any family room or room that is not attached to the reception area. The outter build...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Anna Maria Island, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Like another reviewer mentioned, there are two properties. My review addresses the older, more basic accomodations. I spent two nights here before beginning a trip through Namibia. My biggest complaint about the room is that the A/C [very nice to have] was SO loud that it woke me up whenever it went on. Otherwise, the room was good enough for a brief stay. Staff were friendly, but not always helpful. I thought the restaurant meals were fine. The property does offer wifi [ask for code at desk], but sometimes they are out of codes. There is a shuttle [limited hours] available if you want to go into town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Glucksburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I as well as my mother were guests in your hotel on our final night of our annual Namibia holiday in rooms 59 and 60 from November 9th to
November 10th 2012..

This being our final night I enquired at the safari hotel reception about the possibility of a shuttle to the airport the next day as well as the exact time of departure of the SAA noon flight. According to schedule shown to me my Sergio the departure time of this flight was 1.20 PM. As I had in the back of my mind the departure time of 12:20 PM I went to the safari court reception to use the business center and check the departure time again online on our flight schedule. This again said 12:20 PM. With this information I approached the Safari Court reception which again told me the flight would leave at 1:20 PM. This was confirmed by an elderly old white gentleman with reddish white hair working for the safari hotels, as he overheard my conversation with the reception. He explained the difference in time due to the change from summer time to winter time in Germany. This seemed plausible to me, as he said that he has returned from Germany last week and had had a similar experience. Furthermore he laughed when I jokingly said, I would sue him, if he was wrong.

Unfortunately when the three of us arrived at Windhuk Airport at 11.55 AM we had to find out, that the SAA Flight did indeed leave at 12:20 PM and the gates were already closed and the machine was on the runway. Not even my star alliance gold status was able to change anything as the machine was overbooked. I therefore had to buy three additional British airways tickets so that we luckily were still able to catch our flight from Johannesburg to Germany.

From the airport I called Sergio as well as Francis of your staff to complain about this misinformation of Safari Hotels which cost me over ND 6.000,00. They both once again confirmed that according to their schedule the flight time should have been 1:20 PM and were shocked that this was not correct. Francis agreed with me that on behalf of Safari Hotels it was luck that only the three of us were affected and that we were able to get seats on the BA flight. The disaster could have been much bigger, if a larger group was effected or/ and if the intercontinental flights would have been missed.

As safari hotels was recommended to me as a hotel of high international standard and the service and quality we experienced during our stay only confirmed this, there was no reason for me to have any doubts about the information I received from both receptions.

All above is cited trom the letter I sent them. The only reaction I got was: This is all your own (my) problem, we are not responsible at all, not even on a goodwill basis!
Wonder how other hotels of international reputation would have reacted!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Carstensabine

Travelers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I guess this place is more geared for accommodating groups for conferences. The conference venue is reasonable. The accommodation facilities were reasonable, the same for catering. Hotel staff was average, not falling over their feet to render good service. For conferences, business meetings, business accommodation this is a reasonable venue. Not sure that I will stay here as a tourist - will probably rather find a guest house or something else instead.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank PieterfromRoodepoort
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Preface: This 3-star Safari Hotel is located adjacent to its more modern 4-star sister Safari Court as well as the Safari Conference Centre, all within a fenced compound. So bear in mind that this review is only meant for the 3-star motel and not the others.

First Impressions: Having spent the better of two weeks camping, I was ready for any place that had concrete instead of dirt under my feet. Imagine my pleasant surprise upon entering the lobby of Hotel Safari. Marbled floors, elegant decor, rich fabric. Quite classy, I thought. And then, imagine my utter disappointment when we were told to personally carry our luggage 50 meters away to the group of rooms set up like a 1950's drive-in strip motel. Yeah, that feeling. Apparently, our tour operator booked us into the standard budget rooms for one night.

Pros: For the business types, the conference centre is just next door. There is free airport shuttle, free WiFi, swimming pool, complimentary breakfast at its on-site restaurant and a souvenir shop. For extended internet use, one may ask to use the handful of computer terminals over at the Safari Court's business centre. Overall, service is friendly, courteous and helpful.

Cons: Unfortunately, every positive feature of this motel has its letdowns. Location is not its best asset. It is quite far from the Windhoek city centre as well as the international airport. Although free shuttle is available, it is only to the nearby domestic airport and only until 6pm. Our rooms, though clean, appear dated and tired. The free WiFi is restricted to 2 hours and different passwords are handed out on slips of paper. (I went around this restriction by collecting several access passwords until I had a bunch.) The pool can get quite cold!!! The souvenir shop is small and has limited inventory. The breakfast is forgettable.

Verdict: This hotel has the potential to be a very nice one, if only management had bothered to upgrade, if not refurbish, it. I'm not a fussy traveller but, if you only use the hotel to sleep in, it does the job. Just lower your expectations. It is adequate for a few day's stay but, for longer stays, there are better accommodations closer to the city centre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Livingstone, Zambia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently had a 2 night stay at this Hotel, the staff were helpful and the Hotel looked good; but our room was tired looking, the cleaning only partially done and then we found a Cockroach in the bathroom. The main hotel Restaurant resembles a Cafeteria and the food very average and not very hot especially breakfast. Try the Safari Court Restaurant in the complex for a much better experience, the staff there are helpful and attentive. The choice of dishes is also excellent. The overall look of the Hotel is good and clean.

Room Tip: Use the Business rooms, the standard is better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was assigned to this place for one night, leaving very early next morning; a 'breakfast' was made available thankfully. It is more than I personally expected from a Namibian hotel. Clean but tired room, decent restaurant, courteous and helpful staff. Location required a ride to get downtown Windhoek.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo