“Taste of Home in Namibia”

Windhoek Country Club Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
New Jersey
“Taste of Home in Namibia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

Stayed for two nights in August after making an unplanned trip to Windhoek for car repair. After two weeks on the rough and tumble roads of south and central Namibia, this hotel was an absolute dream. Chinese food and gambling? I felt like I was back home in NJ for a few days. Rooms are dressed in dark, earthy tones and the bedding was very comfortable. Full desk if you need it for business with internet - there are charges listed, but reception gave us vouchers at no cost. Small private deck looking over the pool. Casino is great fun for a few hours of escapism - table games are very cheap (N$2 roulette min. and N$5 blackjack min.) and the slots get all the way down to N$.05. Chinese restaurant above was wonderful - even had a nice wine list. Even breakfast was ok when we stuck to the omelet station. My only suggestion would be to ask for a discount either from Legacy or reservations on-site.

Win Big!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelCuties

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
Bari, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

The location is suboptimal. The personnel very kind.
Rooms are large and the garden relaxing. The breakfast large and complete. The dinner looked a little to cold.
The shuttle bus (to WDH center) is not precise.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaoloBA
Rochester NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Visited in July. Warm days, cold nights. Lobby cold as ice. No heat in first room, but engineer brought space heater to warm the room. Internet down. Moved to larger accommodation next night. Internet up. Still no heat. Space heater returns. Service is friendly, but .....verrry sloooowww. Guests eclectic and diverse. Will come back to Namibia and to Windhoek, but will try something else. Don't go for the food either.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

By world standards, prices in Windhoek are reasonable, and with breakfast and free internet connection included, the Country Club was probably worth the few dollars more it costs than the competition. The setting is pretty, though not very well designed for winter, and the lobby itself is uninviting. The bar is just one wall of the lobby. The casino is sub-standard, and I found the decor pretentious.

The rooms are spacious and have all required conveniences except a clock. Be sure to get a room with a desk. Otherwise, there is no where to use a computer or even spread papers or pocket contents. Many of the poolside rooms have no desk.

The staff member who showed me to my room -- and then got it changed so that I could have a desk instead of a redundant sofa -- was extraordinarily helpful, until I realized he'd left with my room key. Desk staff was sour, but relatively efficient. At least they replaced the key.

The buffet restaurant was adequate, though not up to the high standards set in many South African and Botswana hotels. All in all, a pleasant few days, but not exactly a resort destination in itself, and far from the charming restaurants and shops of other parts of Windhoek.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nurmijarvi, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

I stayed at this hotel thanks to it being the only hotel in town that our company has a corporate rate with and we're supposed to always use those hotels. In the future I will not be following that rule here.
Check in did not go well - they could not find my reservation and said I had one two days later. This was not true since I never booked that date but had confirmation# for the day I arrived.
The first room would have been incredibly noisy, since the floor layout was in a kind of T shape with everyone walking past my room to get to reception. I changed to something further away but still plenty of noise came through the door.
If noise from the corridor didn't bother you then the drone of light planes taking off from the adjacent airport/airstrip will get you awake at first light.
I wanted to put some milk into the fridge and needed the mini bar key, this took one visit to reception and about five phone calls. eventually they key arrived.
Internet access was quite poor and although free you need a code from reception. At first they asked me how long I was staying (2 days) but that code lasted about 8h. In my 2 days there I called for about 4 internet codes in total which became quite tiresome.
I would do everything to book a guest house or something else and only visit this place again as a last resort.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

This was my third stay at the Country Club, and by far the most pleasant one. I was not expecting much as earlier I came across used sheets in my bed and the whole resorts was dominated by German package tourists.

But, the hotel area has always been very well maintained and the pool area was again very clean. I got one of the recently refurbished ground floor rooms with a small patio adjoining the garden. Very nice indeed, even though the room was not completely redone, for example the cranes in the bathroom were recycled.

The food in the restaurant has also improved a lot. For example, the Thai beef salad was an excellent one, and despite being an entree it would serve as main course for not-so-hungry. I'm not a great fan of buffets, so I didn't try the lunch or dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet is OK, no big surprises.

The staff members at the resort are very kind and helpful. My arrival got delayed by 24 hours and I was not charged for the first night even though I did not cancel it as I was fighting fiercely with the airline on the delay and its consequences.

The resort is located in the outskirts of Windhoek, but the resort has a free shuttle service to the centre, which I think is a new feature. There is also a golf course next to the resort, which I understand is OK and quite cheap, at least for overseas visitors. You can also jog around the golf course, but you'll do it at your own risk and you need to look out for players. I recommend you'll go out for a run first thing in the morning when the golf course has not yet opened.

The only shortcomings related to airport transfer when I arrived. The car was not there and I had to wait for half an hour. Also, as my room was located next to the garden, I woke up twice at 4.30 am when the automated watering system went on, partially wiping also the patio floor. Not major issues though.

• Liked — The garden and the pool
  • Disliked — The location is outside the center, however it is only a 10 minute drive away
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Mixu
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at the beginning and four nights at the end of a three week touring holiday in Namibia.We knew the hotel was located away from the city but there was a courtesy bus available. Had a room overlooking the pool area on our first visit and requested same room for our return. We were not disappointed and we received a welcome letter from management plus a box of chocolates. It is true that the decor of the lobby area (which also led to the casino and Chinese restaurant) may not be to everyones taste but our room was pleasantly decorated, extremely clean and fresh with a most comfortable bed. Room service was quick and the staff most helpful and attentive. Service in the main restaurant was good; the food was plentiful although the nightly buffet could become repetitive. We thought the cost of wine was inexpensive for a four star hotel. Overall we were very happy with our experience and it was a perfect place to relax after touring.

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DurhamJeb