“package tour delight”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Nurmijarvi, Finland
“package tour delight”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

I stayed at this hotel thanks to it being the only hotel in town that our company has a corporate rate with and we're supposed to always use those hotels. In the future I will not be following that rule here.
Check in did not go well - they could not find my reservation and said I had one two days later. This was not true since I never booked that date but had confirmation# for the day I arrived.
The first room would have been incredibly noisy, since the floor layout was in a kind of T shape with everyone walking past my room to get to reception. I changed to something further away but still plenty of noise came through the door.
If noise from the corridor didn't bother you then the drone of light planes taking off from the adjacent airport/airstrip will get you awake at first light.
I wanted to put some milk into the fridge and needed the mini bar key, this took one visit to reception and about five phone calls. eventually they key arrived.
Internet access was quite poor and although free you need a code from reception. At first they asked me how long I was staying (2 days) but that code lasted about 8h. In my 2 days there I called for about 4 internet codes in total which became quite tiresome.
I would do everything to book a guest house or something else and only visit this place again as a last resort.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

This was my third stay at the Country Club, and by far the most pleasant one. I was not expecting much as earlier I came across used sheets in my bed and the whole resorts was dominated by German package tourists.

But, the hotel area has always been very well maintained and the pool area was again very clean. I got one of the recently refurbished ground floor rooms with a small patio adjoining the garden. Very nice indeed, even though the room was not completely redone, for example the cranes in the bathroom were recycled.

The food in the restaurant has also improved a lot. For example, the Thai beef salad was an excellent one, and despite being an entree it would serve as main course for not-so-hungry. I'm not a great fan of buffets, so I didn't try the lunch or dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet is OK, no big surprises.

The staff members at the resort are very kind and helpful. My arrival got delayed by 24 hours and I was not charged for the first night even though I did not cancel it as I was fighting fiercely with the airline on the delay and its consequences.

The resort is located in the outskirts of Windhoek, but the resort has a free shuttle service to the centre, which I think is a new feature. There is also a golf course next to the resort, which I understand is OK and quite cheap, at least for overseas visitors. You can also jog around the golf course, but you'll do it at your own risk and you need to look out for players. I recommend you'll go out for a run first thing in the morning when the golf course has not yet opened.

The only shortcomings related to airport transfer when I arrived. The car was not there and I had to wait for half an hour. Also, as my room was located next to the garden, I woke up twice at 4.30 am when the automated watering system went on, partially wiping also the patio floor. Not major issues though.

• Liked — The garden and the pool
  • Disliked — The location is outside the center, however it is only a 10 minute drive away
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Mixu
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at the beginning and four nights at the end of a three week touring holiday in Namibia.We knew the hotel was located away from the city but there was a courtesy bus available. Had a room overlooking the pool area on our first visit and requested same room for our return. We were not disappointed and we received a welcome letter from management plus a box of chocolates. It is true that the decor of the lobby area (which also led to the casino and Chinese restaurant) may not be to everyones taste but our room was pleasantly decorated, extremely clean and fresh with a most comfortable bed. Room service was quick and the staff most helpful and attentive. Service in the main restaurant was good; the food was plentiful although the nightly buffet could become repetitive. We thought the cost of wine was inexpensive for a four star hotel. Overall we were very happy with our experience and it was a perfect place to relax after touring.

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DurhamJeb
Benoni, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

Hotel is perfect for business and family travellers. Location to the regional airport is perfect if you intend to fly to other destinations in Namibia. Hotel rooms have recently been upgraded and are clean. Good variety of TV channels.

The golf course is a good challange in the heat.

Staff is friendly however some of the food on the buffet needs a little work.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed here for a night coming in and going out, both times fine but not great. Our non-smoking rooms smelled like smoke (although I saw that they are renovating a section of rooms which will be non-smoking), they were totally confused at the front desk by our reservations (we had three rooms in our group, but it was clear in the reservations who was in which room, etc.), and the key for one room was a nightmare the first time (didn't work, they got confused, then belligerent, lots of back and forth with the desk, and it all took a long time to resolve). That said, the rooms were big, and the breakfast was okay. I don't recommend it highly, by any means, but for large resort hotels in Windhoek at this price, I think the options are limited (based on information from people we were with who come often).

• Liked — easy access, can book through Expedia, pool for kids
  • Disliked — smokey rooms, confused front desk
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

We were given a smoke-filled room which we could smell walking down the hall - little did we know it would be ours. There were welcome flowers and envelope for Ambassador ? on the coffee table! I asked Reception for a non-smoking room. This time we had a problem getting the key to open the door, when it did the room was a complete mess and OCCUPIED. So much for security. The third room we were told was the model suite - this was falling apart - wallpaper hanging off the walls, torn drapes, taps hanging off the sink, shower didn't work. I could go on - not to mention the food.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed February 2008
gbr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

Really good hotel with great staff. First trip to Namibia so didn't know what to expect.Some less than good reviews so thought about changing but didn't. Great base for the local Eros airport to start any fly in Safaris or trips to the coast and the dunes. Good location in Windhoek with a shuttle service to town centre. The concierge manager is a real character and was extremely helpful.

• Liked — New rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple