“good value for money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
Chameleon Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in a family room which, though small, was clean. The staff was helpful and the breakfast was included (though you have to wash up as in most backpackers). A good address but book early because it fills up quickly.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stopped by here after seeing several overpriced rooms in Windhoek. They answered the phone, gave great directions, and had us checked in within 30 minutes! The rooms were super clean.

Nice recreation room with a big screen TV and lots of channels. Good rules were posted and mostly enforced.

Staff was super helpful. We got sick late at night and the cleaning man was very helpful in getting medicine in town and cleaning up.

Room Tip: The luxery rooms upstairs are generally hotter than the standard rooms downstairs. If the heat both...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I really like this backpackers. They have bathroom in the dorm room and it was clean. They have nice bar and pool. I was a solo traveler, but I could make many friends. Not only the employees but also people staying there were nice. I wanted to have my hair braided, and one of the employees took me to her friend's salon. It was much cheaper and better than the one I went before. They picked me up and drop off at the bus stop and it was free. The employees were nice, friendly and fun to talk with. One thing I want to request is free wifi. Anyway, if u go to Windhoek, I think it is the best place to stay:)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Chameleon is the only place you should go in Windhoek. They have a FANTASTIC staff who can help you plan your trips, get where you need to go, or direct you to food/activities in Windhoek. They got us a free shuttle to the Intercape bus station, and helped us arrange transportation to Swakopmund. They have a free (great) breakfast, internet (for a small fee), and decent rooms. They were one of the most helpful place we stayed in our 9-country tour of Southern Africa. They were great for knowing what was going on locally (a concert, a cultural program, etc.) and gave us a lot of stuff to do.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived on an intensely hot day, and went straight for the pool. The grounds are nice, there is a bar, and the staff is great. Neat rooms, cool decor, clean. There is quite a party vibe, so we were glad we decided on a room instead of the dorm. I was recommended this hostel by a colleague who is in her fifties, so it caters to different needs. Reasonable price and good value.

Room Tip: The double rooms are nice, and a good choice if you want some privacy.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelNor
Reviewed August 11, 2012

As a hostel, Chameleon seemed like a decent spot. I didn't see the dorms so I can't speak about them but it has a pretty solid hostel vibe if you're into that. We were looking for a guesthouse, and their website said there was a guesthouse on the grounds. The price was right so we went for it, hoping it would have a true guesthouse feel. Unfortunately, what we got was basically a nice private room in a hostel, which had no soundproofing whatsoever (we heard all the activity in the restroom below... ALL night long)

Still giving it 4 stars because it wasn't bad per se, just misleading advertising regarding the guesthouse.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blitzburgh412
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have stayed at the chameleon backpackers often. The rooms are clean, the service is fine, it's perfectly situated, it's a great place to meet people. On our last stay there I was 8months pregnant andwhile waiting for my husband to return, had a very dizzy spell, the barman and the recepionist were amazing. They rushed to my aid,got me to my room and couldn't be kinder. But it is at heat a backpackers! If you want 5* service go to the new Hilton, if you're after vibe, comfort and chill space, this is the spot for you!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is divine. It could get noisy as it's above the bar, but its a cozy and comf...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chameleon0, Owner at Chameleon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thanks for your feedback and for letting me know how my staff assisted you, we wish you all the best with he birth of your new baby and when you return to Chameleon ask us for the baby cot, everyone is welcome here!