“Great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
Chameleon Backpackers Hostel
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hostel has it all. Reasonable price. Very comfortable beds with lovely sheets. Nice bar, good tv room. Decent breakfast. Quiet at night so easy to get a good nights sleep. Dorms are nice but private rooms are excellent. If you want aprivate room be sure to book ahead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights when I first arrived in Namibia and before I went to volunteer at the Harnas Wildlife Foundation. The hostel is behind a large fence and locked door so when you pull up outside you cannot see an awful lot but inside is a very homely and relaxed environment. There is a small reception area, a large tv and lounge area then ouside is a pool table, swimming pool and comfortable sofas and chairs to sit around the bar. The very large kitchen is also located outside. I did not find the staff here overly friendly or helpful but I got everthing I needed. I stayed in one of the single private rooms which have traditional african decorations and a sink (the main bathroom is shared with the other private rooms, 4 in total I think). I was able to sleep very well but I think this was mainly due to an exhausting flight, the bar was directly opposite the private rooms and I can imagine it gets pretty loud. Overall I enjoyed my stay here and think that it is a good base for people to stay before starting safaris etc.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Rachael L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I was glad to have chosen this hostel to stay at, as it turned out to be an overall nice experience.

The hostel itself is nicely decorated, has a lovely pool and washing facilities, and has good comfortable rooms. The showers were also hot and the breakfast was good.

There was one female staff member who gave the impression that you were putting her out if you asked for anything, which was a turn-off. But, happily, the other staff members compensated for her.

Overall a very good budget choice while in the charming city of Windhoek.
You will be pleased :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed in a few of their rooms in late 2011 and this is one of the better hostels I've visited. The single rooms are cozy and have a bathroom down the hall, the only downside is they are next to the courtyard and kitchen area and can be a bit noisy sometimes. The larger suites with the private bathrooms are more off to the side and definitely quiet and well furnished. Cold breakfast has a large selection of drinks, toasts, and toppings, you definitely won't go hungry and will meet lots of interesting people. It's a short walk to central Windhoek and the mall and the premises is gated. Internet service can be a bit slow, but that was true for most places in Namibia. If you need to book a tour in the fly, they also have information as well, great for backpackers.

Room Tip: Suites with private bathrooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Pretoria
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hostel was alright: nice room, hot showers, laundry service, big self catering kitchen.
But the lady who was responsible for opening the gate was a not nice. Maybe she didn't like working there, maybe she had 2 rough days, I don't know. But it cost her very big efforts to open the gate for us.

Apart from her, we found the other staff friendly.

• Stayed April 2012
Jackie2108, Owner at Chameleon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hi Wim,

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that a member of my staff was not providing a "warm and inviting" environment for you. I will be using your review for staff training and hopefully impressing upon each and every member of staff that service with a smile is a winning combination. We hope that you come back and visit us again one day.
Regards Jackie
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I was there a few weeks ago for a wedding in NAmibia
As it was a backpackers i was very sceptic on what to expect. But for its price it is really a bargain!!! The breakfast is help youself with some cereals, yoghurt and toast which you have to make yourself and then was the dishes after you have used them aswell. But it is all part of the fun and talking to interesting people. Beware of the small rooms though. I was in a room with 2 bunker beds where you can hardly turn in between them as it is so narrow. But again. All part of the experience. I would deffinatly visit there again as it has a lovely pool for those hot winter months and a very nice bar area aswell!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Nina,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Rosa advised me that you were booked by your friends that were getting married and they asked for you all to be put together, the quad room was made specially for the wedding guests So next time you visit us make sure you request your own room and you will be even happier!! We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Cheers
Jackie
New York
Reviewed April 30, 2012

this is one of the great backpackers I stayed in during my southern africa trip! I cannot say anything about the dorms but the single rooms were just beautiful and real value for money. I also like the whole sustainable concept with conserving water, recycling etc. Not to forget the kitchen is great and breakfast is included and really good. last but not least the service is friendly and efficient! I also booked a tour with them and can also strongly recommend that!

• Stayed April 2012