“Beautiful Hotel and very nice Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful Hotel and very nice Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I had reservations to stay in the Hilton but there was a labor strike so I was put in another hotel down the street. When I arrived in Windhoek I was notified that the strike was over and I was back in the Hilton. The hotel is beautiful and so was my room. My room was located on the 6th floor with a great view of the city. Everything in the room worked and I did not have any issues or problems with my accommodations. The staff was very friendly and polite. The hotel has an excellent breakfast buffet. I ate in the main restaurant three nights and the steaks and braised pork belly were excellent! On the 9th floor is a roof top bar call the sky bar. The views were wonderful and it is a great place to watch the sunset.

I am not sure if it is true or not but I charged one of my meals to my room and I let the waitress know I was leaving a tip on the room tab. She told me not to do that because the management takes ALL the tips that are left that way and on credit cards and divides them among all the waiters. If this is true, I am not happy because my tip is for the individual that waits on me...not those that did not provide me the service. I ended up bringing her cash the next day so she would get it.

Also, I had to pay N$185 ($18.50 US) per day (24 hours) for WiFi. This was crazy! Come on Hilton.

Room Tip: For views choose a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, December 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased to see you came to the hotel once the industrial action was over.

We are also very pleased with the positive comments you have provided.

My apologies if the price for the Internet was not to your satisfaction.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lugano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few days in this nice new hotel. The staff were friendly but u able to help when there was a problem. Our room was very noisy due to the water system but the staff continually ignored the request for a different room.

Internet is very slow and far too expensive.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, December 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.
My apologies for the noise you experienced and the lack of responds from our team members to move you to another room. If you would like to send me more details I can make a follow up regarding the room as well as the team on duty. My email is teun.engbers@hilton.com

Director of Operations
Walvis Bay, Namibia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Hotel is stunning and so are the rooms. Service in Bar and Restaurants is terrible. Staff watching TV, or just plainly ignoring guests while waiting to be served. Nightclub on the same premises and music keeping you awake most of the night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Ralph C
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very m,uch for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel and rooms.

My apologies for your experience in our outlets and noise from the night club. I will share this with the team and we will follow up on these issues.

We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

The only hotel in Namibia that I know that charges guests for WiFi. N$75 (US$7) per hour. When I complained to Reception, the staff said "We agree with you. WiFi should be free for guests". A tour operator standing next to me said that several of his clients had also complained. C'mon, Hilton, up your game!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom V

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It is our company brand standard that Internet is charged for but we are in the process of implementing changes regarding the public areas.

My sincere apologies if this has effected your experience with us.

We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Lovely surroundings, in a quiet part of the city, helpful staff, great food, fantastic rooms. Sky bar & roof top pool are a lovely addition. Mini bar is well priced so dont be shy. Executive lounge is as lovely scerene environment. And a nice place to meet fellow travellers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time with us at our hotel during your recent visit. Looking forward to Welcome you back very soon.

Best regards,
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Check in was great. Aubry was warm, professional and exceeded my expectation when providing assistance with check-in, internet access, etc. I enjoyed the Roof Top bar and the lounge/bar on first floor. (Service is poor in both areas. Thankfully, I was relaxed and did not have high expectation). My dinner at first floor lounge/bar was yummy. Disappointments. - Noise in room. A guest in an adjacent room made a phone call in the foyer. I heard every word - the walls and doors are not thin. - Room service. I contacted House Keeping, Room Service and the Reception Desk for a bottle opener. I wanted to enjoy a drink from the mini bar but needed an opener. 30 minutes and several phone calls before I received bottle opener and then he wanted a tip. - I asked the Concierge to assist with a dinner reservation. They forgot. No reservation was made. - At check-out, my bill for the business meeting was ambiguous (staff struggled to discern bill) and included several errors. They argued amongst themselves and argued with me. It was a poor end to the trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Lisa A
Dear Guest

On behalf of the Hilton Windhoek team thank you so much for your feedback, we are pleased to hear that Aubrey exceeded your expectations. Our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay. I have shared your feedback with all the relevant Management so as to follow up on and ensure we deliver the service expected from us.

Kind regards,
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is a very well-located hotel, especially if you are getting to or from the Windhoek airport. The parking downstairs is quite ample and free (at least for the Platinum or Diamond members). Not much around within walking (if you are that kind of a person) or driving distance....
The hotel is clean and proper, well-kept and well-run - though I cannot hide the bitterness of being completely mistreated as a Diamond Member of the Hilton chain, but that's just venting :)
Rooms are very nice, well-equipped, have at least one European plug, so you don;t have to worry about those weird Namibian/South African adapters. Air conditioners are quiet, efficient, though the elevators ding quite loudly, so make sure to be away from them. Linens and towels are top notch, with the usual Peter Thomas Roth toiletries on offer.
The restaurant food was the blandest I ever had, the service was awkward, white wine warm, and the food choices were amazingly unimpressive. Avoid, at all costs.
The pool on the top floor is a pathetic little water hole, so do not get your hopes up, but the views from up there are quite nice.
The lounge is poorly stacked - no food, just snacks, and I was charged for the white wine, as there were none in the refrigerator - the lounge clerk told me that of course it will be delivered right away, and it was - with a bill, what a ripoff!

In general, the service was surprisingly subpar. Someone has to re-think the whole strategy of addressing the clients' need and reboot the employees' training from point zero.

Nice location, bad service. Your choice! :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank heyValera
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing our survey and for posting your feedback on our tripadvisor page. Thank you for both your positive and negative feedback, our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences experienced. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you need any assistance. Trust that we will welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,