“Good hotel in a good location.”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
“Good hotel in a good location.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Hilton Hotel in Windhoek is probably the best in the area and is conveniently located in the city centre close to shopping malls and restaurants. The location is also very good if driving for the first time in Namibia as you will drive past it once coming into town. The staff is very attentive and polite. The rooms are very clean (it is still fairly new, so lets hope this standard is upheld) and not too bad space wise. I never ate dinner in the restaurant on my previous visit, but walked down the road to a franchise steakhouse instead so cannot comment on the restaurant, although I have had meals here in the past on business meetings and the food was of a good to high standard if somewhat pricey (standard prices for hotel restaurants). While the TV option provided a good selection there were not too many sports channels, this may not be an issue for most travellers, but as I am on business a lot of the time I try to keep up with the Champions League, cricket other live sporting events etc. so a good selection of channels is always appreciated by myself. The only two issue’s I would have with the Hilton is, firstly, the charging of WiFi, the other “luxury” hotel in the area (of a decent standard) the Country Club, does not charge for this at all, this is quite important when travelling on business. The rooms are also not as spacious as the Country Club, but are of a higher standard. Again, as I am on business most of the time the larger space and free WiFi makes the world of difference. I do understand that most hotels charge for WiFi these days, but, most of the other hotels in Windhoek don’t. All in all a very good hotel and I would definitely recommend it, but would take into account the very minor issues noted above.
Finally, the major disappointment with this hotel is the charging of parking! I was actually shocked to be presented with a bill for overnight parking even though I was a guest at the hotel. I can understand this practice in major, congested cities, but this is not the case in Windhoek. This must be rectified by management of the Hilton as it does make you feel like they are trying to squeeze more money out of you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for feedback on our tripadvisor webpage.

I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us, thank you for the great comments about our Hotel. Our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on our wi-fi services and parking, we are currenlty looking into better options for our wi-fi services.

We value your feedback as vital and will certainly consider it as part of our future plans.

Hope to Welcome you back very soon to Hilton Windhoek.

Kindest regards,
Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First the positives: This hotel in in a great location, close to downtown, craft markets, restaurants and the small downtown mall. The staff were friendly, attentive and professional, particularly in the Skybar and the Coffee lounge which are both excellent facilities. Food quality at breakfast and dinner was above average for hotel fare. The craft store in the foyer has some interesting things on sale at reasonable prices.
Now the negatives: The wi-fi internet provision is expensive and slow. There is no free service anywhere in the hotel.
There was a mess up with our airport transportation reservation and the reception staff, including someone we think was the reception supervisor, responded really badly, telling us repeatedly that it was 'on the way' when it wasn't, leaving us to resolve matters, after 20 minutes waiting, by commandeering a local taxi. Screw-ups will happen in the best run establishments. How they recover from them determines the lasting impression of customer service, and outstanding recovery starts with 'Mea Culpa' and honesty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Hotel.

On behalf of the Hilton Windhoek Team I would like to extent my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused with your transportation and for not meeting your expectations regarding the internet.

Thank you for the good comments made about our facilities - Sky Bar and Centrum respectively and our staff. My apologies for the inappropriate manner in which one of the Supervisors responded towards your problem.

Hope to Welcome you back soon to our Hotel.

Kindest regards,
Teun Engbers - Director of Operations
Bungay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Overall, the appearance and facilities are good at the hotel. Our room was large and comfortable and the pool and bar are very pleasant. However, it is part of the Hilton chain of hotels and is llisted as 5 star; regardless of where it is, the expectation is that it will deliver the same standards. The restaurant was a massive disappointment - the vegetarian food was truly awful and I don't expect to find a buffet bar for salads etc in a hotel of this class.
We were also woken up at 6 in the morning by an incredible noise coming from the plumbing system in a neighbouring room.
The staff were all very pleasant but the service was a little haphazard. For example, there were no towels or ashtrays at the pool on one occasion despite the fact that there were plenty of staff and 'managers' around and when we asked for a towel, the staff member went off to get some and didn't come back.
The fact that they charge a lot for wifi access and then restrict the access to a single machine is inexcusable in this day & age. We stayed at plenty of smaller, locally owned hotels & B&Bs in Namibia where internet access was free.
I'm sure that if we had been staying in an independent hotel these little glitches would have been acceptable but a huge chain like Hilton that trades on its name should live up to the expectations it creates. The problem is that if you want to stay centrally in Windhoek there isn't a huge amount of choice and I suspect that the choice will reduce even more with the Hilton there. I would ceratinly try to find an independent, locally owned, hotel if I go back to Windhoek - at least the money stays in the country that way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Mr Lee,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our hotel.
My sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. We appreciate the compliments of the friendliness our team members. I have shared the feedback of your restaurant, room and pool experience with our Executive Chef, Cheif Engineer and Spa manager and assure you we will take corrective measures to improve this. It is feedback from our guests that can help us improve our service. We do hope next time you do stay with us and we will make sure we deliver our brand promise.

With kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

It's a great business hotel. It's well located. Well appointed.

THe internet is very very slooooooooowwwww.

The staff is lovely. Smiling and friendly.

Loved the Skybar view and their hamburger! The drinks are so so (too sweet). And they could have better wine selection.

Room Tip: Take a room that is not close to the elevators *ping!*
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel. We appreciate the comments about our team members and our food. We have taken note of your comment about the internet and our wine selection and I can assure you we are working on this.

We hope you welcome you back one day at the Hilton Windhoek.

Kind regards
Teun
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel. Everything was very good, especially the roof top patio. The dinner at the restaurant was very good.
Otherwise I was upset that I have to pay such an high price for the internet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive responds about our hotel. I have shared this with our team. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the F&B facilities. We do apologize if we did not meet your expectations regarding the Internet.

With kind regards,
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent value, excellent hotel!
Roof bar is great to watch the sun go down.
Rooms are clean and comfortable!
Internet good.
The staff are really freindly and helpful!
Great breakfast!
Gym not all that well equipped but ok!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback of our hotel. I will share it with our team. We do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

With kind regards
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed for 1 week for business and enjoyed my stay. The rooftop bar is the best sunset bar in the region. The pool is a little small but hey, its ON THE ROOF so...The room I had was big and the bed very comfortable. Room service was tasty and breakfast buffet was better than average.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very similar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feedback of our hotel. I am happy to hear the positive feedback of the Sky Bar and our other facilities.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards