“Lovely, Great Location”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel was wonderful. Check-in was quick and easy. I scheduled a taxi to take me to the airport when I checked out. It was only $35. The staff was very helpful. My room was wonderful. The bed was comfortable with great sheets. The bathroom was roomy with great lighting and a nice big mirror. The shower was separate from the tub. You would not want to stay here with a business colleague though because there was no door separating the room from the bathroom. The toilet is in its own room, however. The only annoying part was there were no outlets in the bathroom to plug things in except for a shaver. Why wouldn't there be outlets for a blow dryer and curling iron? I ate dinner in the more upscale restaurant. The steak was wonderful, as was the wine. Plus, it was really inexpensive. We then grabbed some drinks at the bar, which was also nice. The free breakfast in the morning is incredible. There is so much to pick from. The only major downfall was the lack of free wifi. You couldn't even get free wifi in the lobby. The hotel is in a great location for shopping. It's a couple minute walk to great souvenir shops and a mall. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Megan Candice D, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2016

There are newer reviews for Hilton Windhoek

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was my fifth time in Windhoek and my first stay at the Hilton.

It is nice hotel, with a beautiful architecture, open feel, and very sleek decor. The room was large and tastefully furnished, and the bathroom was one of the nicest I have enjoyed on my recent travels. After a long transaltlantic travel, I slept really well in the comfortable king-size bed. The rooftop pool area was very relaxing, although a bit crowded, with some loud patrons that nobody seemed willing to control somehow. But a good book and the stunning view of Windhoek let me forget the distraction.

So all was well during my stay? Well, there is room for improvement. For one, I got exactly the opposite of what my Hilton Honors profile indicated as my room preferences (I usually ask for a high floor, non-smoking room, away from the elevator--and I got a lower floor smokers' room right near the elevator). The worst part was the smokers' smell in the room, which was made worse by the fact that windows could not be opened and the AC temperature could not be adjusted (the temperature setting buttons did not react). I could have probably asked for a change of rooms, but did not want to go through the hassle. I also noticed some other minor maintenance issues, including scratched walls and furniture. And I heard from other guests that the breakfast was not worth the charge; I opted to have breakfast at a small cafe in the Voigt shopping center five minutes away.

But in sum, I am glad that the Kalahari Sands Hotel--the other main business hotel in town--got competition from the Hilton, and I would consider the Hilton several notches better. And based on the manager's response to other reviews, I trust that the Hilton will further improve its service delivery and ensure proper upkeep of the facility.

Room Tip: Do not assume that the staff will honor your Hilton Honors preferences and ask for them at check-in.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SGECHAMPION

Reviewed November 5, 2012

After a couple of weeks on the road in Namibia, we enjoyed this hotel a lot. Modern furnishings, comfortabe beds, good facilities and friendly and efficient staff all contributed to an enjoyable (if brief) stay. The hotel is right in the centre of town and within easy reach of restaurants, shops etc. They have a minibus to take guests to the airport but this was busy so they arranged a taxi for us.

The only thing I didn't enjoy were the incredibly greedy guests in the executive lounge (some not many) who were intent in getting as much 'free' food and drink down their necks as quickly as possible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Very nice hotel and good location. This was our first trip to Windhoek, so wasn't sure what to expect. Breakfast buffet is good and the roof top bar is fun. Hotel offers airport pick up and drop off for an additional charge, but worth it. Be sure if you are booking a transfer to let them know if it is the international airport as this is considerably further than the domestic airport. All the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaryandDon
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear MaryandDon,

Thanks for your kind comments which I have taken the liberty to share with my team. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Windhoek.

Best regards

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I traveled to Windhoek, Namibia for the first time in Oct. I stayed for 3 week in the Windhoek Hilton. I have to say it was the highlight of all my stays in Africa. The hotel clean, modern and loaded with amenities. On the 9th floor, which a roof top, has a really nice lap pool. In addition it has a roof top bar with great views of the city of Windhoek. Also a good fitness center and spa. The fitness center has several of the ellipticals and bikes with a gym with weights. No free weights. Also the Executive Lounge is on the 9th floor and has two levels with commanding views. The staff are excellent providing anything you need. I do have to said they ran out of Jack Daniels which I prefer for two weeks. The wine and other selections were provided. The food provide was very good. I can't say enough about the Executive Lounge staff they truly made our stay exceptional.
Breakfast was provided in the restaurant and had many choices to include a full cooked breakfast. Staff were wonderful but had to get their attention for refills or coffee. Half way during our stay they changed the hours of service from 0630 to 0700 in the morning. This was not relied to us and we showed up at 0645 and it was closed. This was an issue as we had to depart at 0730 and change did not provide adequate time for a breakfast.
The Hotel is very convenient to all of the shops with in 2-3 blocks. This includes all of the Namibia arts shops, markets, restaurants and clubs.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you travel to Windhoek, Namibia

Room Tip: The 8th floor Rooms 809 to 814 are located below the roof top bar on 9th floor. You can hear the fu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Skycop8158,

Thanks very much for your lovely comments. Be rest assured that we have ensured that we have all bar items in stock now as well I can indeed confirm that our Breakfast times are now starting in our ADD Ekipa at 07.00 am, my apologies that this was not communicated to you. Having said that we have now another solution from 05.00 am in Centrum availalbe.

With kind regards and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Room in tower very pleasant. Large, quiet and nicely designed. However.....on getting to room bedside light was wrecked, phone did not work (both not plugged in and not correctly programmed) and bath water a very interesting brown colour (also stained carpet - not acceptable in hotel with these pretensions). To their credit the staff cleared these problems (with exception of stains) very quickly.
9th Floor bar very pleasant and breakfast above average.
After 2 days of 4 day stay I was sent a letter by management stating that my credit had run out and that I should make an immediate payment - despite having given my credit card details and the booking having been made for 4 days through travel company. I had an exchange of views with the front desk staff, who said I would receive a comment from the manager (he/she was not available for a direct discussion). Still not got it!
The staff were very friendly and welcoming - but I got the feeling that the management of this hotel should be far more proactive and be more hands-on themselves. Maybe they could do with some training.
A further pet-hate - paying large sums for the slowest internet in the world.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chinchok

Dear Chinchok, thank you very much for your kind comments, please be reassured that I have spoken to my respective Front Desk Manager and Rooms Division Manager in regards to lack of response time to a valuable customer as yourself. In regards to internet, after having upgraded our internet speed to the best in any hotel in the town, we are now reviewing with another supplier to keep the consistency for what we have signed up. Further more our Engineering team togethe with our housekeeping team have commenced on a rigoros preventive maintenance program so to sort out other rooms issues.

I do hope that otherwise your stay was pleasant and feel free to contact me (Roman.Kopacek@hilton.com) upon your return so I can make personally arrangements for you, which is the very least I can do in appreciation of your comments.

With kind regards.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in the Hilton on our last night in Namibia. We had travelled for 14 days and came from the Namib desert-covered in sand and full of wonderful impressions. This was a great hotel to scrub up before a long haul flight back to Europe and to let all the impressions sink in. We spent the afternoon on the rooftop bar, enjoying the view and the wine and one last Namibian sunset. We were too tired to head out for dinner so we enjoyed the luxurious buffet very much. Its a modern hotel but is located right in the heart of Windhoek, luxurious but unpretentious.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Keembay, glad to hear that you had a great time in the hotel and in Namibia, which is indeed a true jewel of Africa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

With kind regards