“A great place to wash the sand out of your hair!”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Dublin
“A great place to wash the sand out of your hair!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in the Hilton on our last night in Namibia. We had travelled for 14 days and came from the Namib desert-covered in sand and full of wonderful impressions. This was a great hotel to scrub up before a long haul flight back to Europe and to let all the impressions sink in. We spent the afternoon on the rooftop bar, enjoying the view and the wine and one last Namibian sunset. We were too tired to head out for dinner so we enjoyed the luxurious buffet very much. Its a modern hotel but is located right in the heart of Windhoek, luxurious but unpretentious.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Keembay, glad to hear that you had a great time in the hotel and in Namibia, which is indeed a true jewel of Africa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Roman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We recently enjoyed a Wilderness Great Namibian Journey with a great guide Jerimia, everyone knows him, and had the pleasure of spending three separate nights at the Hilton.
The staff were exceptional and the rooms more than comfortable. On the third night, the night before we flew to Zambia, we were upgraded. What a wonderful surprise. Pity we hadn't had more time in our room...ah suite. It has a great breakfast and dining choices. The Hilton is in a great location right in the middle of the action and the better restaurants in town. As the ads say: we wouldn't stay anywhere else. We're fans.

Room Tip: Anywhere is good...always avoid the room near the elevator/lift.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jake69,

Hearing that we gained yet another fan of the Hilton as well as Namibia makes our efforts truely worthwile and I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with my team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Namibia.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had 2 separate visits of 2 nights, a week apart. Spent quite a bit of time in the bar on the mezzanine - the one on the roof is pretty spectacular for views but usually very windy. Service in the bar was always friendly but with only one exception (thanks Elrico), very slow indeed. Restaurant was OK and bar food quite good. Concierge very helpful and efficient. Kettle with tea and instant coffee in room. Did not have breakfast or use the spa.

I don't understand why 5* international hotels persist in charging for internet access. This is ridiculous in today's world and always leaves a bad taste. It's a bit like charging extortionate minibar charges - why not just add a bit more onto the room charge and give 'free' access, making everybody much happier?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gbrux,

Thanks for your kind comments. Glad to inform you that we have for F&B service team since now 6 weeks signed up an international service trainer and the same counts for our Bars and Lounge Areas commencing today.

In regards to internet, I am certain that will change soon, though even know if you participate in our loyality program Hilton Honors it is free of charge for Gold and Diamond Members, the first step Hilton took to improve that standard compared to other international 5 star chains.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This new hotel right in the centre of Windhoek, has the most spectacular views around the surrounding mountains . Also on the rooftop is a bar and swimming pool, where you can relax when the weather is suitable. Being a brand new hotel everything is new.. the rooms and facilities, and the business people of Windhoek seem to use it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear 6Colin,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and indeed you can enjoy the best views from our hotel, looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards.

Walvis Bay, Namibia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I returned to this hotel after having read the GM's email to me, I also took him up on his offer to show me the changes that has been "supposedly" brought about. To my surprise, I was told by the duty manager, Sandra, that he was not in town.
It did not stop here, on Saturday afternoon my wife and I returned from shopping to find our room had not been made. We were asked to wait in the Ekipa bar on the mezzanine floor for 20 minutes where I had a beer and my wife a soft drink charged to our room. The 20 minutes turned into 30 and I started getting impatient. When my wait hit 45 minutes I walked out of the bar and went to my room thinking if the chamber-maid was still busy cleaning I would ask her to leave the room immediately.
Upon checkout on the Monday, I noticed that we had been charged for breakfast for three mornings which we never had. I promptly refused to pay for this, the clerk would not budge and I called the duty manager and viola! Sandra is there again. She advised me that breakfast was included on our "executive" room and I told that I was sorry but I did not know and that I had not been informed at checkin. I also realised that I had spent a couple of hundred N$'s on my Friday evening drinks instead of using the free drinks facility in Club Lounge.
Because I refused to sign the first credit card slip they had to pass a credit on my card for the difference of the breakfast we did not have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan Candice D, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, June 9, 2016

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Hilton Windhoek is a reasonably new hotel with modern well-equipped rooms and quality facilities. The staff are friendly and helpful although front desk service can be slow. Rooftop bar and pool area are great in the evening with views across the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Paris, France
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Windhoek Hilton is centrally located next to the Kalahari Sands hotel (have not stayed there) and has an amazing view of the downtown and the mountains surounding the city. The rooms are well furnished and brand new. The rooftop swimming pool is rather small and thin but has a sky bar facing the pool and with a view of the city. Many seem to enjoy the rooftop Sky bar. The restaurant is excellent. If you stay on a room only basis, complementary breakfast is offered. Breakfast is wide and varied including crusty croissants, warm food and meat. A good selection of fresh fruit juices and an excellent array of fine teas. We were with children and received an adjoining room with twin beds free of charge. Staff are happy to see the small children, even when they make a bit of noise in the restaurant. It is a childfriendly country. There is free parking. The only downside is the room service. It is extremely slow and the staff are not on a five star level with the knowledge of food. The chef prepares excellent food but the waitress or the cook on duty who brings it can mix it up. When I ordered "pasta with pesto" they managed to put vegetables with the pesto and the on top of it, brought "'kech up" just incase I find it too "boring". The waitress actually looked pitiful at me who would eat a green sauce. But the staff are extremely nice and gave me a 50 % discount to apologise for mixing up the order. In general it was a great stay and I would complain of nothing.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family